GT Home Against Pittsburgh, Sunday February 14th @ 4pm

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Good win, think we need at least 4 out the last 6 games to be in contention for tournament.
Hoping we can go on a bit of a run. Of our games remaining Id say:
Tier 1: @ VT
Last chance for a Q1 win before the ACC tournament (if it happens)

Tier 2: Duke & Syracuse
Duke hasn’t been great this year obviously but it’s still Duke. Hopefully we can avenge our loss to them without their home cooking refs. Think both of these are Q2 potential

Tier 3: BC, @Miami,& @WF

Tired legs could always come into play due to some of our packed scheduling (mainly thinking BC even though we did get an extra day) , but these 3 we should win.

If our 4 wins are Tier 3 and VT, I’d say you’re right with an ACCT win. If we don’t win @VT I think we need to win 5/6 and an ACCT win.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
Great win!!! We’ve been protecting home court. I loved seeing them come back and beat a solid Pitt team after losing a couple tough ones.

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
Did we win or did Pitt lose. Pitt missed half of its free throws and we got the benefit of unearned free throws from a silly technical foul. This is what Duke must feel like after a close home win.

Deleted member 2897

Did we win or did Pitt lose. Pitt missed half of its free throws and we got the benefit of unearned free throws from a silly technical foul. This is what Duke must feel like after a close home win.

Both.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

For me personally, I thought it was a really nice win. Pitt or the ref's didn't give it to us if that is what you're implying.

Yes, the whistles did finally balance out for us after getting shafted the past few games. Their missed FT's - that's on them. Missing FT's contributes to you losing games.

Especially when your opponent make theirs (21/23). Also, did you notice Pitt hitting damn near anything they threw up the second half? Step backs, fade-away's in the lane, banked in a three...

We were able overcome an injury to one of our best players, their hot shooting, and tired legs, and we still got the W.

Whether people choose to admit it or not, that is the the sign of a good team.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

What? When we played duke the freethrow discrepancy was 22-5. They had triple our FTA before we started putting them at the line. Against Pitt our advantage was 23-15 and it was 17-15 before they put us on the line intentionally. The refs slightly favored us this game but compared to some of our games it was a lot more even.

We won because we took care of business at the freethrow line, forced 18 turnovers from a team averaging 12, and were basically even in the rebound department against one of the better rebounding teams in conference. All this with a huge difference in rest coming in.

Deleted member 2897

And more importantly, we had played 3 back to back to back games with 1 day off in between each while they had the entire week off. Any win when you get ****ed like that is a good win.

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
What? When we played duke the freethrow discrepancy was 22-5. They had triple our FTA before we started putting them at the line. Against Pitt our advantage was 23-15 and it was 17-15 before they put us on the line intentionally. The refs slightly favored us this game but compared to some of our games it was a lot more even.

We won because we took care of business at the freethrow line, forced 18 turnovers from a team averaging 12, and were basically even in the rebound department against one of the better rebounding teams in conference. All this with a huge difference in rest coming in.
The point is, this win didn't strike me as impressive like the Kentucky win, the first Clemson win, or the FSU win. This one falls in the category of "sometimes it is better to be lucky than good." This is the way I view many of Duke's close home wins: not impressive. In any event, we did win. But I was not left with a warm fuzzy.

slugboy

Staff member
After winning, we moved to 61 in NET and Pitt is around 80th.
A win against Clemson and we’d probably be up a good bit over the weekend

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
After winning, we moved to 61 in NET and Pitt is around 80th.
A win against Clemson and we’d probably be up a good bit over the weekend
Where does our NET need to be (most likely) in order to be considered for the tournament?

Deleted member 2897

The point is, this win didn't strike me as impressive like the Kentucky win, the first Clemson win, or the FSU win. This one falls in the category of "sometimes it is better to be lucky than good." This is the way I view many of Duke's close home wins: not impressive. In any event, we did win. But I was not left with a warm fuzzy.

I know what you mean. But we played on 1 day of rest. After playing on 1 day of rest. That was our 4th game in 8 days, while Pitt had the entire week off to rest and prepare for us.

slugboy

Staff member
Over the last few weeks, I think all of our opponents have adopted a strategy to try to grind us down during the game. Maybe it’s just because Jose and Moses play nearly 40 minutes a game, but I think the other coaches saw the brutal schedule and wanted to use it against us

alagold

Helluva Engineer
This is the type of win an exp'd and home team finds a way to win.In this case, at FT line. We are a problem every game for sure for the variety of talent and EXPERIENCE.It sure would be nice to have front ct big help esp if we get to tourney.We can't give boards at the rate we do.