GT hiring former Miss St and Florida DL coach David Turner

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Wait until the “Collins only hires his friends” crew gets a hold of his resume.
Now, now no reason to start the negativity because you know someone is going to counter this nonsense and then it will go back and forth and yet another thread will be ruined. Try to be the bigger person

This looks like a really good hire!

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Here are some bios:
https://floridagators.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/david-turner/1201
https://hailstate.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/david-turner/22

With him and Tillman and Semore, I'm not sure what Thacker is doing--especially if Collins is in the mix too. Guess I'll find out this Fall...
From the bios:

"Turner’s defensive fronts at MSU earned a reputation for being consistently disruptive and putting pressure on the opposing quarterback. Over the past two seasons, the Bulldogs piled up over 180 tackles for loss, including 68 quarterback sacks. In 2015, the Bulldogs set a school record with 98 tackles for loss, while the 2014 unit produced 37 sacks, which ranked No. 2 in the SEC and were the third-most in school history."

"In 2020, Florida continued to show its prowess in getting to the quarterback. The Gators tied for the SEC lead and tied for seventh nationally with 35 sacks. UF also ranked second in the league with 73 tackles for loss."

I hope he can replicate the QB pressure here. This hire seems too good to be true. I just wonder how the coaching responsibilities will shake out. He has a great resume getting heat on the QB, but he's our "run game coordinator". Somebody tell me how that works. And we now have two assistant head coaches?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Was on Mullen's staff at Florida the last few years, looks like he is going to be the assistant head coach for the defense and run game coordinator
I don't understand this "run game coordinator" thing on defense. How does that work? You don't know whether they're going to run or pass.
Pardon my ignorance, but I get how you can have a "run game" or "pass game" coordinator on offense, but on defense I don't understand how that works.

slugboy

Staff member
I don't understand this "run game coordinator" thing on defense. How does that work? You don't know whether they're going to run or pass.
Pardon my ignorance, but I get how you can have a "run game" or "pass game" coordinator on offense, but on defense I don't understand how that works.
Ironically, Marco Coleman was hired by Michigan State as “DL Coach/Defensive Run Game Coordinator”. SI ran a piece explaining the position as “he understands the run game really well and I can bounce ideas off of him”.
It looks like it’s a title in some places, and in others it’s more meaningful. If it’s meaningful, it’s “he’s specifically developing the strategies and the practice components to help us defend the run”. But, it might not be meaningful.

Here’s Mike Tomlin on what an Offensive Run Game coordinator is:
Q. What's a run game coordinator?
A. It depends on who you're talking to. In some organizations in the National Football League, it's a means of getting a quality assistant some additional money and to be competitive in a market where there's scarcity in terms of quality people. Sometimes it comes with responsibility, a guy who's a central prong, if you will, or a central assistant to the coordinator, and to developing the run aspect of a game plan. And so, there are a lot of guys who carry the title, but depending on where you are in the circumstances is whether or not it means something or not, to be quite honest with you.
Q. Let's just pretend it's somebody who's not just carrying a title. What does he do over the course of the week?
A. He helps coordinate the run game element of the plan. The selection of run plays, the identifying of schematic opportunities and issues relative to the run game in all elements of situational play: first and second downs, short-yardage, goal-line, utilization of personnel in the formulation of that plan, acknowledgement of significant matchups, meaning our Jimmys and Joes vs. their Jimmys and Joes. Coordination is what that word means – all aspects of run game development.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
From the bios:

"Turner’s defensive fronts at MSU earned a reputation for being consistently disruptive and putting pressure on the opposing quarterback. Over the past two seasons, the Bulldogs piled up over 180 tackles for loss, including 68 quarterback sacks. In 2015, the Bulldogs set a school record with 98 tackles for loss, while the 2014 unit produced 37 sacks, which ranked No. 2 in the SEC and were the third-most in school history."

"In 2020, Florida continued to show its prowess in getting to the quarterback. The Gators tied for the SEC lead and tied for seventh nationally with 35 sacks. UF also ranked second in the league with 73 tackles for loss."

I hope he can replicate the QB pressure here. This hire seems too good to be true. I just wonder how the coaching responsibilities will shake out. He has a great resume getting heat on the QB, but he's our "run game coordinator". Somebody tell me how that works. And we now have two assistant head coaches?
If Turner can prepare his DL to put pressure on the QB, that is something that Jared Ivey probably should have stuck around to learn…

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Ironically, Marco Coleman was hired by Michigan State as “DL Coach/Defensive Run Game Coordinator”. SI ran a piece explaining the position as “he understands the run game really well and I can bounce ideas off of him”.
It looks like it’s a title in some places, and in others it’s more meaningful. If it’s meaningful, it’s “he’s specifically developing the strategies and the practice components to help us defend the run”. But, it might not be meaningful.

Here’s Mike Tomlin on what an Offensive Run Game coordinator is:
Q. What's a run game coordinator?
A. It depends on who you're talking to. In some organizations in the National Football League, it's a means of getting a quality assistant some additional money and to be competitive in a market where there's scarcity in terms of quality people. Sometimes it comes with responsibility, a guy who's a central prong, if you will, or a central assistant to the coordinator, and to developing the run aspect of a game plan. And so, there are a lot of guys who carry the title, but depending on where you are in the circumstances is whether or not it means something or not, to be quite honest with you.
Q. Let's just pretend it's somebody who's not just carrying a title. What does he do over the course of the week?
A. He helps coordinate the run game element of the plan. The selection of run plays, the identifying of schematic opportunities and issues relative to the run game in all elements of situational play: first and second downs, short-yardage, goal-line, utilization of personnel in the formulation of that plan, acknowledgement of significant matchups, meaning our Jimmys and Joes vs. their Jimmys and Joes. Coordination is what that word means – all aspects of run game development.
Offense is clear, but on defense I still don't get how somebody can be a "run game coordinator" when you don't know whether they're going to run or pass.
Developing strategies in practice makes sense, I guess.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Offense is clear, but on defense I still don't get how somebody can be a "run game coordinator" when you don't know whether they're going to run or pass.

During a practice week, you have a 10-20min practice period of your opponents top runs and top formations. Turner will be responsible for implementing how the defense will align, teaching them their assignments, and their roles in the run fits on runs away and runs to them.

JacketFan137

Banned
for the most part you know what teams are doing play wise at the college and nfl level. teams will generally do similar things in similar situations so it’s a matter of identifying what they do and coming up with the formation and play to stop it. if you know a team likes to run short yardage runs over the right guard or frequently goes off tackle on 3rd and 2 or whatever the case may be it’s likely going to be his responsibility to be aware of the trend and strategize around that

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
A few weeks before the Orange Bowl.
Orange Bowl was Dec 31 and Collins leaving Miss State was made public on
Dec 16.

Mullins was not happy with Collins making a lateral move and said so publicly. Prior to this Mullins had given Collins a public tongue lashing for the way in which Ole Miss repeatedly gashed the defense. Mississippi State was last in the SEC in giving chunk yardage. Mullins particularly did not like the pass defense, “A terrible job by our defensive coaching staff.”

Apparently Mullins thought his coaches should be able to take criticism.