GT hires Chip Long as new OC/QBs Coach

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I'm not saying you're wrong. It's just that depending on how you look at something, someone's legitimate reasons may sound like excuses to others. For instance, the reason for some of our inconsistency on offense was youth at QB and horrific OL play. Those are the reasons in my mind.

Now, why was our OL horrific, well, there you might get some excuse-making or maybe some legitimate reasons. Personally, I think expecting to turn the OL organically takes longer than any other position on the field, so I look at that as a reason, not an excuse. I don't think the young guys are ready, so I was very good with the Portal for OL. I think we were successful with Cochran and I'm not sure about the others. I'm not an OL guy, so I just see the DL getting turned loose and our QB's running for their lives and say "we got a problem." I don't know what that problem is and I really haven't heard what I would say are good reasons why our OL play was so horrendous.

These are just my thoughts.
Thank you for a reasonable and thoughtful response.

I think where I am with this is simple. If the offensive line was a couple years more into development would this season have been different? I doubt it. The problems I see with the offensive line seem to be reflected throughout multiple position groups. Add to that poor game management by the coaches and it is hard for me to say this is all about the offensive line.

Much more I could say but I think you get the point. The offensive line to me, ought to be further along. But so should the whole team.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Really??? What kind of person would take themselves out a team game bc they thought their team was going to lose???? I have to believe you never played a team sport or have been part of any kind of team before based on this comment.
We can’t use the appropriate words on this board. You are correct in your question.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Really??? What kind of person would take themselves out a team game bc they thought their team was going to lose???? I have to believe you never played a team sport or have been part of any kind of team before based on this comment.
Ha. We have other players who did this. Gibbs at least waited until the end.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Someone who has already decided to transfer and is making a business decision

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Welcome to the new era of college ball, which is really the minor league for the NFL, with NIL and instant transfer portal. Players have been assigned monetary value now and know it is more a business then ever. I personally don’t like it but don’t see it getting better. The system has created a monster. Look at some of the contracts these coaches are getting. Billy Napier just got a 7 year contract for 51.8 million plus all sorts of additional perks. I can remember in the late 80s when Bobby Bowden was the highest paid college coach at 250K per year.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I'm not saying you're wrong. It's just that depending on how you look at something, someone's legitimate reasons may sound like excuses to others. For instance, the reason for some of our inconsistency on offense was youth at QB and horrific OL play. Those are the reasons in my mind.

Now, why was our OL horrific, well, there you might get some excuse-making or maybe some legitimate reasons. Personally, I think expecting to turn the OL organically takes longer than any other position on the field, so I look at that as a reason, not an excuse. I don't think the young guys are ready, so I was very good with the Portal for OL. I think we were successful with Cochran and I'm not sure about the others. I'm not an OL guy, so I just see the DL getting turned loose and our QB's running for their lives and say "we got a problem." I don't know what that problem is and I really haven't heard what I would say are good reasons why our OL play was so horrendous.

These are just my thoughts.
Reasons are just fancy excuses.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Seriously? If I was Gibbs I would have pulled a hammy back in October. Gibbs gave us his all. If I was asked as the best player on the team to return kicks in meaningless games I would have pulled the hammy in August. Seriously, what coach puts his franchise player as kick returner in meaningless games? Why not on kickoff coverage or punt coverage?
Must just be me. You be you, but I hardly think the instate rivalry game as 'meaningless'. Whatever.

Jetdrive3

Jolly Good Fellow
Next year will be the 3rd for the OL.
Extraordinary circumstances when all your linemen are young. It was necessary here because the triple option offensive linemen had to be smaller and quicker to cut block. Shorter was better so a lineman can get in to the defenders’ legs.

On the defensive side of the ball, not many pro prospective young men would want to practice everyday with linemen diving for their knees. A potential pro career could easily be ended practicing against the triple option blocking technique.
It was a complete do-over for both sides of the ball. Obviously no one strikes “old gold“ on every recruit. Therefore the pipeline had to be loaded again to get it full. If you are relying on freshmen and sophomores to fill your line, either side, you are delusional. A senior is a grown man. Freshmen and sophomore linemen are infants moving in to the toddler stage. BIGTIME COLLEGE FOOTBALL IS NOT MADDEN PLUG AND PLAY!!!!!!! IT TAKES TIME and PROPER DEVELOPMENT. Hopefully the right mix is congealing. Stansbury is betting on it.

Jetdrive3

Jolly Good Fellow
I will repeat this again. Almost every football coach I have spoken to said we were going to be 4-5 years developing an OL to do what we are doing. I trust coaches a whole lot more than message board warriors. They usually know more about football than we do.
You are 100% correct. Bama, with all its success, didn’t get it together until game 13! Is there anyone any better than Saban? Their pipeline is over a decade in the making. IT IS TIME FOR SOME HOPE. Signing Day is just around the corner!

SoMsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Extraordinary circumstances when all your linemen are young. It was necessary here because the triple option offensive linemen had to be smaller and quicker to cut block. Shorter was better so a lineman can get in to the defenders’ legs.

On the defensive side of the ball, not many pro prospective young men would want to practice everyday with linemen diving for their knees. A potential pro career could easily be ended practicing against the triple option blocking technique.
It was a complete do-over for both sides of the ball. Obviously no one strikes “old gold“ on every recruit. Therefore the pipeline had to be loaded again to get it full. If you are relying on freshmen and sophomores to fill your line, either side, you are delusional. A senior is a grown man. Freshmen and sophomore linemen are infants moving in to the toddler stage. BIGTIME COLLEGE FOOTBALL IS NOT MADDEN PLUG AND PLAY!!!!!!! IT TAKES TIME and PROPER DEVELOPMENT. Hopefully the right mix is congealing. Stansbury is betting on it.
Agree 100%. 6-1 270lb OL recruited by the previous regime will never be able to effectively block 6-4 320lb DTs and 6-5 285lb DEs. It takes several recruiting cycles to recruit the size and develop OL needed to complete.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer

Wow lol

You were part of the problem

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Agree 100%. 6-1 270lb OL recruited by the previous regime will never be able to effectively block 6-4 320lb DTs and 6-5 285lb DEs. It takes several recruiting cycles to recruit the size and develop OL needed to complete.
While I don't know if you're right or wrong, I'll believe you when you post the actually sizes and weights of Collins's first year's starting Oline (not the walk ONS that came in due to all the injuries).

SoMsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Oh lord, is that you Geoff? Freddie burden and Shaq mason and Parker Braun and shamire Devine weren’t 270.
What does mentioning OL from the past have to do with the current roster? 1st and 2nd year recruits are not ready to block Jr/Sr players that have been in a strength and conditioning program for 4 to 5 years. It take size and skill and we don't have it yet. Why can't you understand that aspect of both OL and DL play? If you think that is possible, you don't comprehend basic football.