GT hires Chip Long as new OC/QBs Coach

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
Jesus TStan. Why!??!!!!!??!
I’m fairness you kind of have to spice it up to hire anyone with more than a pulse. Why would anyone come unless they’re covered for more than one year. The CGC contract was stupid. If you’re not going to burn that one then you have to spend some $$ to attract an OC. This one could be ok. Can’t be worse.

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
You gonna have to pay for quality. Be thankful the staff was able to secure someone through this chaos quickly. This is a Collin’s hire.

I’m not even sure Kittley was truly interviewed.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
He didn't face the three toughest defenses. The coastal was a mess this year. His stats are a marginal improvement from last year. He averaged 188 pass yards per game in 2020. 183 yards per game in 2021. Less ints this year but 1 less TD as well. Mixed bag statistically but in no way do I think he really took a step forward. Especially given the level of competition he didn't play against.
Your mistake is calling 3/8 of a game and 5/8 of a game two games. Also, he didn't play against Georgie's defense last year either. So, you can toss that red herring back in the trash.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I go back to what past coaches at GT have been able to do here by year 3. It's not difficult research. This staff's work in year 3 is abysmal compared to past coaching staffs...and that includes the large rebuild jobs by Curry and Ross.
Neither Curry nor Ross faced the challenge of changing the OL from flexbone blocking with shorter linemen to taller pass blocking linemen.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
I will repeat this again. Almost every football coach I have spoken to said we were going to be 4-5 years developing an OL to do what we are doing. I trust coaches a whole lot more than message board warriors. They usually know more about football than we do.
I will repeat this again: that doesn't mean you win 3 games in the meantime and lose to lower level teams. You seem to excuse away the defense and that as a head coach there is more than 1 phase of the game.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Some people have absolutely no context for what makes a contract good or not and to them it's just a matter of "that seems like a lot so it must be a lot" regardless.
That's not it at all. I understand paying the market rate. The issue here is why fire CDP, then hire basically the same thing. What has happened here is CDP's alias and CGC just got 2 more years. Even if they are let go next year, this puts Tech in a worse position for the next coaching hire.

I'm of the belief that they should have given CGC next year as his last chance with the guys he hired. Now we just have another excuse to keep the guy for longer than necessary.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Nm
What? His numbers were across the board better. More accurate, fewer INTs, more ypa, more ypc rushing. Fewer fumbles. He still has to get better but saying he made no progress at all is just not true.
He was a little better at times, but not by that much. I’d say overall he was about the same. He only played in six games and change this year, but there 7 interceptions. 13 interceptions in 10 games last year. Can’t find fumble stats, but I’m guessing it’s similar. He’s basically a turnover machine right now, and that has to stop. It will negate all of the other strides he’s making if it continues.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Curry had next to no line talent for any scheme. Ross had a similiar transition from stick in the mud step and zone lineman to agile ones to run friedgin's system.
Pretty much everyone with actual coaching experience that I have heard quoted in articles says it takes 3 years to convert any offensive system. I think that is why even Collins said he expected to start winning in ‘21. I’m sorry he didn’t hit his own goal or meet what most coaches think is a reasonable time frame. Are some fans too impatient? Absolutely. But this season was a disappointment to even staunch Collins supporters, including TStan. I myself predicted 7 wins but I honestly assumed the team would progress from previous years. Instead we still are making the same bad plays, stupid decisions, mistakes, bad tackling and confused adjustments.

I hate that we keep saying “next year” but truly next year either shows marked improvement (one major donor / Collins supporter said 8 wins) or we start over with a new coach.

slugboy

Staff member
Hopefully, we don't send this thread off-topic.

Spoiler: Switching over a scheme doesn't have to take a lot of time. Our issue is that we're "rebuilding" an offensive line, which can take a lot of time. Three years is generally enough, though.

I found a few articles about how long it takes to move a football team over to a new scheme successfully. We also have another example within the last two years, though: Mississippi State went through a coaching transition in 2020. Joe Moorhead went to Akron and Mike Leach took over.

In 2019, Miss State went 6-7 and went to the Music City Bowl. The next year, Leach took over from Joe Moorhead, during COVID, and went 3-7. This year, they're back in a bowl.

There's a long story about how Moorhead got fired, but if the Miss State fan base liked him, he probably would still be there.

Moorhead runs an RPO "GoGo" offense, and it's a Pistol/RPO variant with a standard blocking scheme. Leach runs wide splits like we used to run. It's not apples-to-apples, but Mississippi State in a lot of ways went through the opposite transition that we went through. Their line gelled faster than ours did.

Leach and Dana Holgerson say that they can implement their scheme in 3 days. Learning the system shouldn't be a big deal.

http://smartfootball.com/gameplanni...r-political-thoughts-about-successful-offense

The offensive line can be more work, though. I did find an article about rebuilding a college offensive line from scratch: https://grantland.com/the-triangle/2015-college-football-five-step-offensive-line-rebuilding-guide/.
I'll throw this in too: https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...hings-being-an-offensive-lineman-is-hard/amp/

There's no rule about how long to build an offensive line from scratch. Two to three years is usually enough. We've used some of the shortcuts, like taking transfers, but we still haven't gelled. To me, that says we've stumbled a few times, or failed a couple of tests. That needs fixing.

The other litmus test is our defense: it is worse now than it has been before. It didn't see a scheme change. We've been bringing in players we'd have loved to have on the defensive line previously. That's also a sign that we have problems to fix, rather than it being just a matter of needing more time.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer

Spoiler: Switching over a scheme doesn't have to take a lot of time. Our issue is that we're "rebuilding" an offensive line, which can take a lot of time. Three years is generally enough, though.

I found a few articles about how long it takes to move a football team over to a new scheme successfully. We also have another example within the last two years, though: Mississippi State went through a coaching transition in 2020. Joe Moorhead went to Akron and Mike Leach took over.
<snip>
There's no rule about how long to build an offensive line from scratch. Two to three years is usually enough. We've used some of the shortcuts, like taking transfers, but we still haven't gelled. To me, that says we've stumbled a few times, or failed a couple of tests. That needs fixing.

The other litmus test is our defense: it is worse now than it has been before. It didn't see a scheme change. We've been bringing in players we'd have loved to have on the defensive line previously. That's also a sign that we have problems to fix, rather than it being just a matter of needing more time.

I just struggle to understand how our OL is really worse than, say, Coastal Carolina's after three years of uber recruiting.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
Your mistake is calling 3/8 of a game and 5/8 of a game two games. Also, he didn't play against Georgie's defense last year either. So, you can toss that red herring back in the trash.
As noted, my stats were incorrect. However, I find it interesting that people are taking the stance that Pnaude developed Sims. I would attribute the slight improvement in numbers to him playing more games, got a full spring practice in, and the ACC overall this year was down. He did play Clemson and Notre Dame last year so we can stop talking about him not just playing Georgia as well. The game is slowing down for him but he's not being coached up. When your talent far exceeds the numbers you are producing then the blame lies elsewhere. I'm all ears on what drastic improvement he has made statistically. Maybe my definition for drastic improvement is different than ya'lls. He didn't get to face any FCS schools last year but got to face 2 better defenses. This year he didn't face any FCS schools nor any of the better defenses.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
Disagree, sometimes i wonder if we all watch the same game sometimes. SMH

The numbers are better but the average DFEI he faced this year was 77 compared to 66 last year. Once again, this isn't harping on Sims, he's going to get there, just the fact that the coaching staff and Pnaude didn't get more out of him. Everyone is defending Pnaude thinking he developed Sims and had the O performing enough to keep his job. Had the defense not collapsed at the end of the season, there would be more people calling for Pnaude's head.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer

In 2019, Miss State went 6-7 and went to the Music City Bowl. The next year, Leach took over from Joe Moorhead, during COVID, and went 3-7. This year, they're back in a bowl.

There's a long story about how Moorhead got fired, but if the Miss State fan base liked him, he probably would still be there.

Moorhead runs an RPO "GoGo" offense, and it's a Pistol/RPO variant with a standard blocking scheme. Leach runs wide splits like we used to run. It's not apples-to-apples, but Mississippi State in a lot of ways went through the opposite transition that we went through. Their line gelled faster than ours did.

Leach and Dana Holgerson say that they can implement their scheme in 3 days. Learning the system shouldn't be a big deal.

http://smartfootball.com/gameplanni...r-political-thoughts-about-successful-offense

The offensive line can be more work, though. I did find an article about rebuilding a college offensive line from scratch: https://grantland.com/the-triangle/2015-college-football-five-step-offensive-line-rebuilding-guide/.
I'll throw this in too: https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...hings-being-an-offensive-lineman-is-hard/amp/

Clap Good Job GIF by Team Coco