GT hires Chip Long as new OC/QBs Coach

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I wonder how much authority Long will be given over the offensive line, since CBK is not only the OL coach but also the assistant head coach. No offensive scheme will save us if we can’t block at the LOS.
That's a good question, and also, whether Key is still going to be the run game coordinator. I hope and guess that he won't be. We need one coordinator on offense.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I choose to see it as a positive. What we had hadn't worked yet. A change was needed.

No one, and I do mean no one, really knows how this will turn out. A lot of people have got their guess, and some might be better informed than others...but no one knows.

So in the face of uncertainty I'll choose to see the upside rather than be made unnecessarily burdened by the downside risk.

Let's Go.
Speaking for myself, the change has given me back my hope. Time will tell if it inspires faith.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I think even some players would agree with this. I met a father this past year whose son plays at Tech, and he said that his son told him they wished CGC would start trying to coach them more and spend less time trying to be their best friend.
Makes you wish at a team meeting the players would stand up and tell this to CGC

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
You will only get so many people consider the OC job with a 1 year window if the team is not successful...ie staff getting fired after 2022. You would realistically get someone in lower ranks who has not coached Power 5 or someone who had less than ideal circumstances at their current job.. We went with the latter. Realistically the only way to get a strong OC was with a new head coach and we didn't have the financial resources to pull that off.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
Interview with Fear the Wave posted at From the Rumble Seat gives a less than glowing reference for Long.
Need to take any single year stint with a grain of salt. Looking at the stats, their young QB only threw 8 picks. If he can get Sims to be more consistent and less prone to turnovers, that is a big win in my books. I watched several videos of Tulane's offense and quite frankly it's too early to make a call on whether he is a good hire or not. They played Oklahoma and Ole Miss last year to start the season. I'm not sure Tech's offense would have faired any better against those opponents than Tulane did.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
This is just wrong. Three years is more than enough time in the ACC Coastal. The Coastal is the worst division of all P5 conferences. Two teams finished above .500.

You seem to think that the entire fan base is represented by a few fans who wanted him fired after year 1. Every fan base has fans calling for the coaches firing every week. Clemson is screaming about Dabo. Yes, a few smart fans saw him for what he is after year 1. But the majority were willing to give him time. Even after year 2, many more smart fans saw him for what he is. But the majority were still on the side of giving him year 3 with Sims returning, etc. After NIU, the majority saw him for what he is. And the entire season bore that out. You think you are smarter than everyone else because you want to give X number of years. That’s fine. We could give him 7 full years and I guess you’d still be saying he needs more time. If he had shown us anything during year 3 you wouldn’t be alone. But, we didn’t advance the program at all. Lastly, I think we all agree that actions are way more important than words. If so, Gibbs told everyone the truth.

Agreed.

When there is mistake after mistake from Year 1 starting with The Citadel game, I think it is reasonable to change your expectations. I think we were expecting someone who would have to come in and change a lot of things, but we would see improvement during Year 1, more in Year 2 and be somewhat competitive or have a winning record in Year 3. Clearly, the defense has regressed. Most people have seen it. Some what to maintain that the current coach needs more time. If there were any indication of improvement, I think we could all agree on more time. As there hasn't been, not sure what more time is going to do.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
You will only get so many people consider the OC job with a 1 year window if the team is not successful...ie staff getting fired after 2022. You would realistically get someone in lower ranks who has not coached Power 5 or someone who had less than ideal circumstances at their current job.. We went with the latter. Realistically the only way to get a strong OC was with a new head coach and we didn't have the financial resources to pull that off.
I'm not sure it was a terrible idea. Alabama recycled both Lane Kiffin (a career with no brakes) and Sarkisian (substance abuse issues). Both used their opportunity to restart their careers in the Show. Perhaps Long is of the same bolt of cloth.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Long seems to have a fairly good resume excluding this year at Tulane. The fact that he was at ND when they went to the playoffs seems to be a very good selling point. Obviously, working for Kelly is likely difficult. I hope he is given enough reign to implement what he knows and that he is successful next year.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Long seems to have a fairly good resume excluding this year at Tulane. The fact that he was at ND when they went to the playoffs seems to be a very good selling point. Obviously, working for Kelly is likely difficult. I hope he is given enough reign to implement what he knows and that he is successful next year.

Especially with his shifting dialect and accents, amirite? :sneaky:

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
This is just wrong. Three years is more than enough time in the ACC Coastal. The Coastal is the worst division of all P5 conferences. Two teams finished above .500.

You seem to think that the entire fan base is represented by a few fans who wanted him fired after year 1. Every fan base has fans calling for the coaches firing every week. Clemson is screaming about Dabo. Yes, a few smart fans saw him for what he is after year 1. But the majority were willing to give him time. Even after year 2, many more smart fans saw him for what he is. But the majority were still on the side of giving him year 3 with Sims returning, etc. After NIU, the majority saw him for what he is. And the entire season bore that out. You think you are smarter than everyone else because you want to give X number of years. That’s fine. We could give him 7 full years and I guess you’d still be saying he needs more time. If he had shown us anything during year 3 you wouldn’t be alone. But, we didn’t advance the program at all. Lastly, I think we all agree that actions are way more important than words. If so, Gibbs told everyone the truth.
I don't doubt from Day 1 people saw his schtick but I doubt very seriously that anyone predicted this mess. If you want to say that some people did predict it because of his "work" at Temple, I'd put big money that those people are the absolute haters and wanted to make that prediction solely on the hate.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't doubt from Day 1 people saw his schtick but I doubt very seriously that anyone predicted this mess. If you want to say that some people did predict it because of his "work" at Temple, I'd put big money that those people are the absolute haters and wanted to make that prediction solely on the hate.
I never said from day 1. I said after year there were a small group of fans (smarter than me) who saw him for what he is. That was after year 1. Then more fans were smarter than me and saw it after year 2. I saw it, but didn’t want to believe it. Then NIU happened after we were told how Sims spent every waking hour in Patenaude’s office and how these NFL transfers along the OLine and DLine were going to get us wins. And then how the rest of year 3 played out. Not everyone, I’d say very few are haters. They just observe things. You know who saw all this coming - Temple fans. Because they lived with the same fluff and rhetoric for 2 years and saw there team get worse.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

I mean, I've been fairly consistent in my predictions so far. We outperformed my expectations in year one (1-2 wins), met expectations in year 2 and 3 (3-4 wins). My expectations for year 4 were always 6-7 wins, with some understanding if a series of close losses led to 5 wins. At this point, though, I don't think there is any understanding left for him and he likely needs to win 6 minimum and most likely 7+ in order to save his job.

As to the first sentence, I agree completely. Even though I am defending him and willing to give him time, his persona has caused a lot of unnecessary problems. For someone supposedly so gifted at branding and marketing, he sure managed to turn off a large portion of the GT fanbase within months of his hiring. His pot shots at the former coaching staff didn't go unnoticed and his constant blandishment grew tiresome quickly. He has brought a LOT of this on himself.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Nope. I am on record saying he needed 4 years. Unlike others on here, I've stood firm in my assertions. Feel free to look up my post history.
Augusta, we probably agree way more than we disagree. I’m not looking up any posts because I’m not here to be right or wrong. This is a fun message board to discuss a topic we all love. Being a fan is living thru it all. I gave the coach my full support when he was hired because GT is my team. Heck, I’ve even posted how I (and you) can’t quit being fans because that is who I am. He still has my support because I want GT to win. The problem is we (the fans) don’t have his support. He is the one responsible for the product he puts on the field. His best player just told us what the players think of him. So between the product on the field and what his best player just said tells me we the GT community don‘t have his support. He has his 4th year which is what you apparently put on some internet record book. Great. Let’s see if we finally gets his support by putting a solid product on the field.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I didn't imply that the fans are impatient, I flat out said it. You are a prime example. You've been griping about Collins since game one of season one. We as a fan base are simply not willing to let a coach have the time needed to install a completely different offense.3 years isn't enough time to switch out an OL from the 30 to RPO, Air Raid, or more traditional. That should be patently obvious to anyone right now. Several pf us on these boards have been screaming that from the beginning, yet when we stand here 3 years down the road, it's not us who are wrong, but everyone who said it wouldn't be that hard. And yet, those of us who correctly predicted this are attacked because the incorrect opinions of a majority of fans wasn't validated. Whether I am right or wrong about how long it takes is moot though, as even if I was wrong there were fans screaming for him to be fired in year one, which once again proves my point. If this offends you, then maybe you should ask yourself why?
I'm not offended at all. This is your opinion and that's fine.

Year 3 shouldn't show a regression and we are not expecting world beaters. Losing to NIU in year 3 and just overall poor performance (minus UNC game which was great), seems to be beyond a transition issue.

It seems that you're very patient in the hopes that it eventually clicks, and it might I guess. It also seems like CDP was the scape goat, based on this hire. Did I unfairly summarize in this last paragraph here?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Nope. I am on record saying he needed 4 years. Unlike others on here, I've stood firm in my assertions. Feel free to look up my post history.
I’d be ok with your timing if we had actually moved the needle much at all on offense, but we haven’t. I.e. “enough time” for what?

If you mean enough time to have a top 25 offense, sure. I’m with you. But if you mean enough time to not be in the conversation for the worst offense in D1 then I disagree. By year three we should have been much better on offense than we were. And I believe if that had been the case - maybe with some rankings in the 60s instead of the 90s then our previous OC would still be employed.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
As to the first sentence, I agree completely. Even though I am defending him and willing to give him time, his persona has caused a lot of unnecessary problems. For someone supposedly so gifted at branding and marketing, he sure managed to turn off a large portion of the GT fanbase within months of his hiring. His pot shots at the former coaching staff didn't go unnoticed and his constant blandishment grew tiresome quickly. He has brought a LOT of this on himself.

He's got a 'circle the wagons' mentality where he sees the people reporting to him (coaches and players) as "his team" and all the other stakeholders (alumni, press, real fans) as 'them'. I struggled with that myself during a bit of my career, and it took some good coaching (and a good book) to help me break out of that trap. And it is a trap.

Hopefully he can get some coaching on what being a real leader looks like (hint, it's not repeating the word 'elite' in hopes of fooling people.)