GT hires Chip Long as new OC/QBs Coach

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Not sure how I feel about this hire. Even ignoring the job he did at Tulane, there are alot of weird red flags. He did seemingly pretty well at ND and got fired for it. That usually has a story behind it and the story here seems to be that he had a pretty poor relationship with many players and many coaches. He apparently is over the top abrasive to players pretty frequently and there are rumors that him and the OL coach hated each other so much that one of them pretty much had to go. It will be interesting to see how well he works with Key. Aside from his apparently abrasive personality though, everyone seems to respect his coaching ability. If he has learned to dial it down a notch he could be a great hire. Just seems like a weird direction to go for Collins who is usually love the players over all else.

We could use some hardass works with the running backs.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I’m glad he’s a hardass, hope he tells Geoff where to stick it if he tries to interfere on offense, or how Chip runs practice etc.,
IF this was handled properly by both, these details have already been agreed upon. Although people can revert to old form/bad habits under strain.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
It seemed like you implied that 3 years isn't enough time to implement a new offense and that we fans (other than yourself) are to impatient to wait long enough to install a new offense.

I didn't imply that the fans are impatient, I flat out said it. You are a prime example. You've been griping about Collins since game one of season one. We as a fan base are simply not willing to let a coach have the time needed to install a completely different offense.3 years isn't enough time to switch out an OL from the 30 to RPO, Air Raid, or more traditional. That should be patently obvious to anyone right now. Several pf us on these boards have been screaming that from the beginning, yet when we stand here 3 years down the road, it's not us who are wrong, but everyone who said it wouldn't be that hard. And yet, those of us who correctly predicted this are attacked because the incorrect opinions of a majority of fans wasn't validated. Whether I am right or wrong about how long it takes is moot though, as even if I was wrong there were fans screaming for him to be fired in year one, which once again proves my point. If this offends you, then maybe you should ask yourself why?

stech81

Helluva Engineer

His Notre Dame offenses were good, and was close to elite his first season there. Another note, at the time he was let go:

Chip Long authored the two highest-scoring seasons of Brian Kelly’s time at Notre Dame, along with two of the four best-gaining offenses.

That's saying something. Long did a good job for Kelly. Long was fired TWO DAYS after finishing 2nd for the Broyles award. There's a lot of smoke about philosophical differences with Kelly. Long is known as a hard@ss, but the offensive leaders on the teams respected him...especially his QBs. Ian Book has high praise for Long...Long fought for Book to retain the starting position.

He'll be a change for our players that's for sure. I don't think our guys will get away with some of the things they've been used to...and that may be a good thing.
I love that he is a hard@ss but can he get along with GCG who is a I love my players. But the most important thing will Long be able to run practice like he wants not like CGC does. You know the old way mess up on a play and stop and go over what a player did wrong and run it again, or do they do it CGC way and move on and run 3 more plays .

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Ryan Day is being mentioned as a leading candidate for the Bears hc job…. Does that open the door to bring Dennis back as QB coach?

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I didn't imply that the fans are impatient, I flat out said it. You are a prime example. You've been griping about Collins since game one of season one. We as a fan base are simply not willing to let a coach have the time needed to install a completely different offense.3 years isn't enough time to switch out an OL from the 30 to RPO, Air Raid, or more traditional. That should be patently obvious to anyone right now. Several pf us on these boards have been screaming that from the beginning, yet when we stand here 3 years down the road, it's not us who are wrong, but everyone who said it wouldn't be that hard. And yet, those of us who correctly predicted this are attacked because the incorrect opinions of a majority of fans wasn't validated. Whether I am right or wrong about how long it takes is moot though, as even if I was wrong there were fans screaming for him to be fired in year one, which once again proves my point. If this offends you, then maybe you should ask yourself why?
This is just wrong. Three years is more than enough time in the ACC Coastal. The Coastal is the worst division of all P5 conferences. Two teams finished above .500.

You seem to think that the entire fan base is represented by a few fans who wanted him fired after year 1. Every fan base has fans calling for the coaches firing every week. Clemson is screaming about Dabo. Yes, a few smart fans saw him for what he is after year 1. But the majority were willing to give him time. Even after year 2, many more smart fans saw him for what he is. But the majority were still on the side of giving him year 3 with Sims returning, etc. After NIU, the majority saw him for what he is. And the entire season bore that out. You think you are smarter than everyone else because you want to give X number of years. That’s fine. We could give him 7 full years and I guess you’d still be saying he needs more time. If he had shown us anything during year 3 you wouldn’t be alone. But, we didn’t advance the program at all. Lastly, I think we all agree that actions are way more important than words. If so, Gibbs told everyone the truth.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Ryan Day is being mentioned as a leading candidate for the Bears hc job…. Does that open the door to bring Dennis back as QB coach?
Newsbreak noted that Dabo was at the Raiders game this weekend and Davis was in a blazer rather than the usual white Raiders jacket. Rumor is he is interviewing for the Raiders job which would explain the sudden departure of some of his staff. Again ... he WAS there so this is a rumor.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I am more pleased than not. I see many reasons to think we have upgraded with him. But here's the thing: our offensive line blocking has got to get much better or it won't matter which plays we run or who is calling them. Whether through younger talented players getting more game experience or transferring in talent, we won't know what we have in an OC until that happens.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I choose to see it as a positive. What we had hadn't worked yet. A change was needed.

No one, and I do mean no one, really knows how this will turn out. A lot of people have got their guess, and some might be better informed than others...but no one knows.

So in the face of uncertainty I'll choose to see the upside rather than be made unnecessarily burdened by the downside risk.

Let's Go.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
This is just wrong. Three years is more than enough time in the ACC Coastal. The Coastal is the worst division of all P5 conferences. Two teams finished above .500.

You seem to think that the entire fan base is represented by a few fans who wanted him fired after year 1. Every fan base has fans calling for the coaches firing every week. Clemson is screaming about Dabo. Yes, a few smart fans saw him for what he is after year 1. But the majority were willing to give him time. Even after year 2, many more smart fans saw him for what he is. But the majority were still on the side of giving him year 3 with Sims returning, etc. After NIU, the majority saw him for what he is. And the entire season bore that out. You think you are smarter than everyone else because you want to give X number of years. That’s fine. We could give him 7 full years and I guess you’d still be saying he needs more time. If he had shown us anything during year 3 you wouldn’t be alone. But, we didn’t advance the program at all. Lastly, I think we all agree that actions are way more important than words. If so, Gibbs told everyone the truth.

And yet, of the two of us who made predictions in 2018-2019, one of us was correct...

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
I wonder how much authority Long will be given over the offensive line, since CBK is not only the OL coach but also the assistant head coach. No offensive scheme will save us if we can’t block at the LOS.