GT has #1 remaining SoS

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I believe coach has added talent, modified our coaching methods, turned loose the defense, has played the backups and we have been very impressive on the field.

I think our players (heaven willing the thin o line is at strength) will come out with a chip on their shoulder. Also M R will play conservative w idea his guys will win the battle up front. Coach will handle the rest.

Deleted member 2897

All good teams need some lucky breaks.

Exactly. Clemson last year should have lost to Troy (multiple missed turnover calls including a fumble return TD for Troy called back) and NC State (missed chip shot FG), and could have easily lost to Auburn, Louisville, Florida State... Clemson has won something like 8 of their last 9 games that were decided by 1 score.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Didnt say 'we aren't that good'. I just think the 396 ypg rushing we are averaging is skewed somewhat by the injury circumstances of those we've played. The OL is good but razor thin, and injured guys don't play as well hurt as they do healthy. We went 3 and out in 3 of the first 4 drives against UNC, and were making their very banged up defense look good until we wore them down late, thanks to our defense constantly putting them back on the field with short possessions and turnovers. If the OL injuries truly are minor, and our guys can get rested and healthy in two weeks, that would make a huge difference.
Ok I see what you are saying, my bad. I misinterpreted what you were saying. I do agree the OL will need to be healthy. I think part of the issue early on with UNC was the OL not healthy.

GTHOSCHTON

Jolly Good Fellow
we did drop two passes that would have been first downs on two of the first three drives if memory serves me correctly?

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
On O the team will have to effectively pass the ball.
On D sure up tackle.

Thank goodness, someone finally mentioned D.

D is still, it appears, an afterthought to a majority of our fans.

With this schedule, it will not be incumbent on the O, but rather the D if we are to have a truly great season.

Jmonty71

Banned
I think 2 things are going to determine the rest of the season, for us.

First and foremost, turnovers. We cannot play the rest of the schedule, turn the ball over 2-3 times, and still win. If we keep the fumbles to 0 or maybe 1 a game, I think we can win.

Second, moment of truth is coming about the Defense. The teams remaining, have decent offenses. Can the defense continue to make plays? Can / Will the defense continue to play aggressive? Will CTR go back to playing conservative? Lots of questions remain.

I said it many times. Often, in games, we are our own worst enemy. Whether it be fumbles or bad play calling....

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Thank goodness, someone finally mentioned D.

D is still, it appears, an afterthought to a majority of our fans.

With this schedule, it will not be incumbent on the O, but rather the D if we are to have a truly great season.

We are struggling to get used to the idea actually having a defense. It may take a little longer.

But man am I excited about how well our defense is playing.
My guess is things are never as good or as bad as they appear. Meaning we may get a little frustrated during the Miami game but I am still expecting serious improvements over last year. It will be the difference in our win over them.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
One thing about it. We should know how good or bad we are over the rest of the season. You really couldn't complain about 7-4 with this schedule. The keys are easy 1) Can't turn it over, and 2) will have to play defense. Most worried about pass rush but somewhat about a good running game. We are not that big upfront.

hwdgeplague

Jolly Good Fellow
I kind of figured so. We already had one of the top SoS before the UCF game was canceled. If you have a top 10 SoS and your 2nd easiest game gets canceled, it can only move up in the rankings. Left on our schedule should be 2 top 10-15 teams in Miami and Virginia Tech and 2 top 5 teams in Clemson and georgia. We could play damned good football this year and still go 6-5.

UCF #25