GT has #1 remaining SoS

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
A nicked up qb is my biggest concern.

Backup missed lots of reps due to injury.

To make it thru the gauntlet we need 110% at qb - crip decisions and accurate passes.

Come on Canddto and Tevin -get them all ready.

Deleted member 2897

I kind of figured so. We already had one of the top SoS before the UCF game was canceled. If you have a top 10 SoS and your 2nd easiest game gets canceled, it can only move up in the rankings. Left on our schedule should be 2 top 10-15 teams in Miami and Virginia Tech and 2 top 5 teams in Clemson and georgia. We could play damned good football this year and still go 6-5.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
We got a rude awakening coming, I'm afraid. We haven't played a team with full strength and speed at MLB yet. Tennessee and North Carolina's MLBs were both out injured, and UT played a walkon against us. Pitt never really has a lot of speed at that position. Miami is LOADED with guys that can just flat run past and around cut blocks and get in the backfield.

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
We got a rude awakening coming, I'm afraid. We haven't played a team with full strength and speed at MLB yet. Tennessee and North Carolina's MLBs were both out injured, and UT played a walkon against us. Pitt never really has a lot of speed at that position. Miami is LOADED with guys that can just flat run past and around cut blocks and get in the backfield.
That or we make a statement. We really haven't played a close game yet, despite losing at Knoxville.

I kind of figured so. We already had one of the top SoS before the UCF game was canceled. If you have a top 10 SoS and your 2nd easiest game gets canceled, it can only move up in the rankings. Left on our schedule should be 2 top 10-15 teams in Miami and Virginia Tech and 2 top 5 teams in Clemson and georgia. We could play damned good football this year and still go 6-5.
What he said.

Deleted member 2897

We played Miami even on offense last year, and we have all our skill players back plus the OL is playing better.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
We played Miami even on offense last year, and we have all our skill players back plus the OL is playing better.
Except we're banged up. Will Lee be back at OT? If so, is he playing at 80, 90, 100%? Same with A. Marshall. If we can't get to the edge against their speed, we really need Shamire to be 100% in order to attack them up the middle.

Deleted member 2897

Except we're banged up. Will Lee be back at OT? If so, is he playing at 80, 90, 100%? Same with A. Marshall. If we can't get to the edge against their speed, we really need Shamire to be 100% in order to attack them up the middle.

Yes.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
The next game is a huge test for us. Win this one, and momentum could lead us to glory. Lose and we may spiral out of control. It's almost time to see what this team is made of.

Clean up the fumbles, and we have a shot.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We’re much better up the middle this year so that kinda neutralizes his speed to the edge. If we mix up our blocking assignments and keep him guessing, that could further do the trick. I just hope we can take him out of the play at least 50% of the time.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
BTW, I'd like you guys to remember this feeling, right now.

You've got the hardest schedule in the country, and people are genuinely thinking "f it, it things break right, we could run the table". Do you know how few fans get to have that feeling? Now realize you have that feeling while recruiting on the same level as like BC and Iowa State and Northwestern.

That's the feeling of having an advantage that nobody else has, and THAT is why I love this offense. I love the feeling (backed up by 20 years of watching it go up and down the field on everybody) that if things are working, nothing the defense does matters.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
We've played teams with fast LB's in the past and still won lol....... we will get a better idea against Miami of course, but until we see that we can't get to those guys on blocks I don't think we have a rude awakening. JMO.

What do you see about this team that makes you think we aren't that goog? CPJ has said this OL is good, especially the GCG combo, so what makes you think those guys can't get it done when we have had other OL guys get it done against fast LB's? This is a serious question, I don't k ow if I'm missing something.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

This is partly why we have seen a steady does of the belly series of options and runs. CPJ was banking on the MLB speed we are bound to see form the later half of our schedule. The belly option removes the problem by allowing the B-Back to block the Mike play side while the guard picks up the backside safetly ( usually the b-back's block on a load option) IF you run this a few times and get the MLB flowing hard to "beat" the b-back block you simply hand it off inside to the b-back and watch him get 6-9 yards before getting touched.

Deleted member 2897

We've played teams with fast LB's in the past and still won lol....... we will get a better idea against Miami of course, but until we see that we can't get to those guys on blocks I don't think we have a rude awakening. JMO.

What do you see about this team that makes you think we aren't that goog? CPJ has said this OL is good, especially the GCG combo, so what makes you think those guys can't get it done when we have had other OL guys get it done against fast LB's? This is a serious question, I don't k ow if I'm missing something.

Right. Last year each offense scored 21 points in the GT/Miami game. I would say both 2017 teams are better than their 2016 versions, but its not like Miami is some dragon slayer. The only reasonable team they've beat this year is Duke, and it was an 11 point game in the 4th quarter. Miami was losing to Toledo by 6 points at halftime. Lets not get ahead of ourselves.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer

Didnt say 'we aren't that good'. I just think the 396 ypg rushing we are averaging is skewed somewhat by the injury circumstances of those we've played. The OL is good but razor thin, and injured guys don't play as well hurt as they do healthy. We went 3 and out in 3 of the first 4 drives against UNC, and were making their very banged up defense look good until we wore them down late, thanks to our defense constantly putting them back on the field with short possessions and turnovers. If the OL injuries truly are minor, and our guys can get rested and healthy in two weeks, that would make a huge difference.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
This is what we should want. The entire reason 2014 was so memorable was specifically because we didn’t duck anyone. We may win out (though I think we’re gonna get drilled at Clemson), but we may not. The goal right now is to make the Clemson a big game and see how we stack up.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Right. Last year each offense scored 21 points in the GT/Miami game. I would say both 2017 teams are better than their 2016 versions, but its not like Miami is some dragon slayer. The only reasonable team they've beat this year is Duke, and it was an 11 point game in the 4th quarter. Miami was losing to Toledo by 6 points at halftime. Lets not get ahead of ourselves.
We lost the game last year precisely because Miami's speed blew the play up deep in the backfield and got two scoop and scores. Miami only outgained Duke by 60 yards, but beat them 31-6. Remember the 4th and 1 where Duke went for it early and Miami not only stopped it but sacked them for like a 10 yard loss. This is the kind of big play difference you have when you can put the kind of speed on the field that Miami, VT, Clemson and UGA can. We have countered this in past against Clemson and Miami (2014) by running right at them and wearing them down. If we can have success doing that, we might open up a few big plays outside, but in general, we aren't going to be successful blocking those teams on the edge from what I've seen in past experience.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
The state of the OL is what worries me the most. Second is the Ds ability to continuine to get stops against much better offenses. We are going to need the ball to bounce our way a few times in order to navigate the buzzsaws up ahead.