GT - GSU Post Game Thread

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
I honestly feel like since the defense has been playing these potent offenses that it will feel kind of slowed down when we start ACC play.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Our defense was horrible today. I will hold off on calling for Ted Roof's head until we play some non option teams. You would think we would be better on defending option plays but it seems to the exact opposite. We looked completely lost at times today on defense. Overall, its still a win. We will move on, and hopefully improve. Calling for peoples heads, or getting overly dramatic when we are 3-0 just seems silly. At least wait until we lose to go ballistic.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
At the game ... at end of 1st half my thoughts and comments were - all is right with the world.

During the 2nd half - up until the turnover - my thoughts were what in the world has happened. We're going to have a rought rest of the season.

Hope CPJ and CTR get the bugs ironed out on the D.
Over pursuit and not wrapping up on tackles are killing us.
And of course that issue with the D line getting pressure in the backfield and actually wrapping up along with limited pressure on the QB.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
2nd half was very reminiscent of Groh's D........ Time to simplify the defense. But seriously i hope they can emphasis and work on tackling and other fundamentals this week

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Our defense was horrible today. I will hold off on calling for Ted Roof's head until we play some non option teams. You would think we would be better on defending option plays but it seems to the exact opposite. We looked completely lost at times today on defense. Overall, its still a win. We will move on, and hopefully improve. Calling for peoples heads, or getting overly dramatic when we are 3-0 just seems silly. At least wait until we lose to go ballistic.

... "We just didn't play assignments. We didn't tackle. We got pushed around. Other than that we were pretty good." CPJ

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Repeat after me... 3 and 0. 3 and 0. 3 wins and 0 loses.

Yes, we let them back into the game and the defense looked horrible most of the game, but we did what we needed to win. Like some others have said, this is a game we would have lost in previous years. We got a good gut-check and we responded.

In the off-season, when asked for one word to describe our team , Coach Johnson said, "Young." This is what young teams look like--great one minute and ugly the next minute. The question is: how quick will they grow up and play with consistency? If you look at the 2nd half of the Tulane game an the first half of this game, you would think we are a top 10 team. If you watch the opposite halves in each game...well, you would think we should be an ACC bottom feeder. The truth is somewhere in the middle. For now, we are UNDEFEATED! Let's enjoy it, fellas.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
At the game ... at end of 1st half my thoughts and comments were - all is right with the world.

During the 2nd half - up until the turnover - my thoughts were what in the world has happened. We're going to have a rought rest of the season.

Hope CPJ and CTR get the bugs ironed out on the D.
Over pursuit and not wrapping up on tackles are killing us.
And of course that issue with the D line getting pressure in the backfield and actually wrapping up along with limited pressure on the QB.
Certainly all kinds of emotions go through our heads during a game like this. Personally, I try never to make season long sweeping projections after a few bad series. It certainly felt like we weren't going to be able to stop them as the game wore on. I wasn't optimistic about the remainder of the game with about 6 min left. There has been some good and some bad overall. It is really hard to judge what we actually have at this point. Keep your chin up.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
During the last GT drive (winning drive no less) - my adrenaline was so stoked that my hands were literally shaking.

In a few weeks we'll be glad to have the win and hopefully be leading the division. :)

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I'll keep the chin up and will pulling for OUR TEAM not matter what. (just would be easier to do if we were kicking arse and cruising to victories :) )

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
The question for the defense the remainder of the year: is it a youth or talent issue? Both? If it's more youth I would expect us to get better as the year progresses and have a couple very good games. I'm also curious as to how much of the defensive play book we have installed this season. It seemed to be that the players referenced the advantages of being in year 2 of the system but it seems to me that we are playing very vanilla defense with a lack of exotic pressure looks.

That's what playing option teams does to d schemes

What makes it appear worse is the lack of DL to beat their man. And the really bad assignments blows in the back 7. IMO roof has to blitz more in downs like 3 and 10. He didn't much today because of my first sentence. But if we are getting burned anyway due to blown assignments might as well at least try to pressure them

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I know lots of people want to be negative but we showed some poise at the end of the game. After a horrible third quarter, we pulled it together to get a clutch touchdown on 3rd down with seconds left. When is the last time a QB has done that for us?
Yes and four touchdown passes is not bad for a quarterback.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I am with those who say, "We won; we're still alive and anything can happen this year." What do I really think? I think the offense is going to have to play almost flawless ball to keep the pressure off of this defense. That is going to be nerve wracking but if we can squeeze out 8 or more wins this year it will give us momentum while we wait for some of our solid recruits to join the team as well as having some other players rejoin the team.

But boy do I wish the defense could give us just a little bit more. Each week they have given up more points than the previous week.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I noticed that Joe played a lot of LT when we were throwing in the first half and for the most part he held up pretty well on pass blocking.

I got a good look at the long pass touchdown over White. He had excellent tight coverage but was pushed late in the route and that gave the receiver the separation he needed. Same thing happened in 2013 at Clemson...a push off not called resulted in just enough separation for the catch. Both of those pushes by the receiver affected the play (long TD) and should have been penalized. Hopefully DJ will learn from this...a few more inches of horizontal separation....some theatrics.....?

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
There were some bad breaks for our secondary that made them look worse than they are.
Our D-Line, though, is as thin as Kate Moss. Green did some ok things, as did Gotsis, but they got worn out by a fairly active Southern O-Line. I was impressed with how their line attacked. #76 at right guard is a barroom brawler - consistently taking out two guys a play.

The main thing is still bad angles and missed tackles.

On offense - not sure why we stagnated in the second half. Justin's as cool as ice and is going to be a big time college football player. Some missed passes but quite a few impressive completions. And he's obviously electrifying on the ground. Slippery like Pat White, fast like Eric Crouch; we're lucky to have him.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
So much this.
Ill thirdsies this. They should show this as the video of NOT how to make a tackle. Its the defenders running where the player is, not where hes gonna be. Then when the defender is close by, they dont breakdown in a squated position and get ready to wrap up the ball carrier. Also I agree about the push off on DJ White. He clearly had good position and then all of a sudden its a catch for a TD. Cant believe the refs didnt catch that. Guess the upper north endzone is a better view than field level.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Ill thirdsies this. They should show this as the video of NOT how to make a tackle. Its the defenders running where the player is, not where hes gonna be. Then when the defender is close by, they dont breakdown in a squated position and get ready to wrap up the ball carrier. Also I agree about the push off on DJ White. He clearly had good position and then all of a sudden its a catch for a TD. Cant believe the refs didnt catch that. Guess the upper north endzone is a better view than field level.
I think it was White who got flagged with a CS interference penalty in the first half IIRC.