GT Football Who is the GOAT

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Rock Perdoni and John Davis
I still remember the game - can't remember the opponent - when Davis went in for the first time as a frosh. Al switched to the sideline color guy - can't remember him either - who said, "Al, John Davis is just caving in his entire side of their line on every play!" He was good at that.

And, btw, I always watched the OL on every play when Paul was coach. That's where the action was. The blocking schemes were like Vulcan chess in every game.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I still remember the game - can't remember the opponent - when Davis went in for the first time as a frosh. Al switched to the sideline color guy - can't remember him either - who said, "Al, John Davis is just caving in his entire side of their line on every play!" He was good at that.

And, btw, I always watched the OL on every play when Paul was coach. That's where the action was. The blocking schemes were like Vulcan chess in every game.
Still remember the uga play-by-play guy during the 2014 game against Tech: “Our defensive linemen look like they are playing on roller skates!”

DD@GT1993

Georgia Tech Fan
I find it remarkable that in discussing 1990 nobody above mentions the best crew of WRs in Tech history. If we had the same guys today, Sims would hardly ever miss. The interesting thing is that the fastest of them - Lester - didn't even start. Oh, and the TEs were no slouch either. As in:

No a bad fake to start things out either. Or:

Or:

I loved Bobby Rodriguez.

My college boyfriend for 4 years! He's still an amazing person.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Joe Hamilton is the GOAT

Calvin was the best player, but it’s not the same thing.

Maybe could have been…
Clint Castleberry (finished 3rd in the Heisman voting in ‘42 as a freshman)

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
It’s not a fair question. Calvin is easily the best player ever to have played for GT. But, he couldn’t give the ball to himself. Joe Ham was the most important player who controlled everything.
Different eras, but we’ve had some great players down through the ages.
Everett Stupper, Clint Castleberry, Buck Flowers, Peter Pund, George Morris, and Randy Rhino to just name a few.

Jacket20

Georgia Tech Fan
Nobody has mentioned Eddie Lee Ivory. Didn't he rush for almost 350 yards in a single game against Air Force. Nobody in a GT uniform has come close to a performance like that.
PJ Daniels ran for 307 yards in the 2004 Humanitarian Bowl game against Tulsa.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
PJ Daniels ran for 307 yards in the 2004 Humanitarian Bowl game against Tulsa.
Great back too. Was he the defensive back they moved to RB and he got a serious injury that shortened his career or do I have him mixed up with someone else.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
I hear you. Looking back what is just crazy from a GT fans perspective is how the stars aligned for so many players to play at their peak level at the same time. We haven’t seen anything close to that since. Jones made every play needed and didn’t make dumb mistakes. Our WR’s as a group just made plays and got open. Our OLine played like a top 10 OLine. Our RB’s balled out. Our DLine across the board was unbelievable. Calvin Tiggle controlled the middle at LB. Our secondary had guys who just balled and hit. Our kicker was money and our head coach gave the reigns to an OC who had it seemed like 3 playbooks he was using. Looking back it’s amazing how it all just came together. I hope to see it again in the future.
The only other time that’s happened is probably the 2014 season. Everything just clicked that year.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
I’ll give you three. Early years: Joe Guyon, Indian teammate of Jim Thorpe at Carlisle and was considered the best running back in the south over the first 50 years of football (1918-1919) at Tech. Outstanding NFL career as well.
Larry Morris, All American LB under Bobby Dodd and All Pro LB with 11 years career.
Then there is the one and only MEGATRON. No explanation required.

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
Too bad that Bell ....... left Tech before the 1991 season.
IIRC Believe Bell's departure was a "Hill" disciplinary issue.... possibly something with the GT Bookstore, or maybe selling his "free books and supplies." He played in the '91 Spring Game, then was gone in the fall. Hope I'm wrong and apologies if I am, but he wasn't a "3 years and to the league" guy like they do now.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
IIRC Believe Bell's departure was a "Hill" disciplinary issue.... possibly something with the GT Bookstore, or maybe selling his "free books and supplies." He played in the '91 Spring Game, then was gone in the fall. Hope I'm wrong and apologies if I am, but he wasn't a "3 years and to the league" guy like they do now.
Still have a sports illustrated with Bell on the cover I need to get framed

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
DeepSnap is correct. Here is a newspaper account of the incident:

Interesting that the above news article also mentions several other GT scholarship athletes who got into trouble — including baseball players! — and how the Institute disciplined them.

Also noteworthy: contrast those days in 1991 (32 years ago) with those of today, where college athletes are now being entitled to (and spoiled rotten by) Name, Image, and Likeness $$$$$ money.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I’ll give you three. Early years: Joe Guyon, Indian teammate of Jim Thorpe at Carlisle and was considered the best running back in the south over the first 50 years of football (1918-1919) at Tech. Outstanding NFL career as well.
Larry Morris, All American LB under Bobby Dodd and All Pro LB with 11 years career.
Then there is the one and only MEGATRON. No explanation required.
My profile pick is an homage.