GT Football Who is the GOAT

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I forgot to mention that I don't know if we have ever had a QB who could throw on the run like Shawn. I mean to tell you he could hum that ball without even planting his feet.

Too bad that Bell and Reese both left Tech before the 1991 season. With those two guys in the backfield, Charley Ward would never have had the ball long enough to whip us. That FSU game broke the season. We win and we go on to 9 - 10 wins, at least.

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
I find it remarkable that in discussing 1990 nobody above mentions the best crew of WRs in Tech history. If we had the same guys today, Sims would hardly ever miss. The interesting thing is that the fastest of them - Lester - didn't even start. Oh, and the TEs were no slouch either. As in:

No a bad fake to start things out either. Or:

Or:

I loved Bobby Rodriguez.

My favorite WR of all time.

I forgot to mention that I don't know if we have ever had a QB who could throw on the run like Shawn. I mean to tell you he could hum that ball without even planting his feet.

Too bad that Bell and Reese both left Tech before the 1991 season. With those two guys in the backfield, Charley Ward would never have had the ball long enough to whip us. That FSU game broke the season. We win and we go on to 9 - 10 wins, at least.
The Charlie Ward comeback was 1992. Ross was still coaching the 1991 team.

Jophish17

Jolly Good Fellow
I have a lot of respect for the names listed here, but they are all good choices for second-best. Joe Hamilton is my pick for #1, hands down. He was electric to watch, he set many conference records. The only thing that held him back was his defense in 99.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Pure ability - Calvin
Legacy - Hamilton
If they had been here at the same time, Hamilton would have won the Heisman award and Calvin would own every receiving record known to man.
Calvin is the first Tech man (that I witnessed first hand) to walk on Bobby Dodd and then again in Detroit and demonstrate that he was the best player on the field at both levels.
I have read that Joe Guyon did the same and physically over matched people much like Calvin. It’s hard to imagine a 5’11” 190lb back with speed in 1920.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
If they had been here at the same time, Hamilton would have won the Heisman award and Calvin would own every receiving record known to man.
Calvin is the first Tech man (that I witnessed first hand) to walk on Bobby Dodd and then again in Detroit and demonstrate that he was the best player on the field at both levels.
I have read that Joe Guyon did the same and physically over matched people much like Calvin. It’s hard to imagine a 5’11” 190lb back with speed in 1920.
Hence my avatar. Notre Dame had the Four Horsemen but descriptions of how good they were often had comparisons to Guyon at Tech.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
My GOAT is Eddie Lee Ivery. Best running back ever. Head and shoulders better than others on the field. For those that never saw him live, he was better than everyone else on the field. Rose to the occasion against ND and the damn dawgs wo deliberately molested him on the sidelines during the Tech uGag game. Shawn Jones comes in second and Joe Hamilton in third. My opinion and yours will vary. But as the cheer in my time at the institute, " Love to see Eddie Lee", echoes mine.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, who is the only Georgia Tech player who punted, ran and passed and was Heisman runnerup? Because that's the only choice.
Can’t really argue your reasoning and it’s hard to go against my fathers favorite Jacket.
So, I’ll throw his vote your way and personally throw mine to Calvin.