GT football memories

TechBurn

Jolly Good Fellow
Another memorable game for me was in 1984,,,, GT was not very good at that time. ( A Bill Curry team). A work buddy of mine, who was a big Bulldog nut, kept bugging me to go to Sanford Stadium with him to see the game! I knew that he just wanted to "rub it in" after they beat us, but I finally agreed to go. I was white & gold in a sea of red & black! John Dewberry, an ex-Bulldog, led us to a 35-18 victory over 18th ranked Georgia! Every ball bounced our way that game, and we beat them worse than the score indicated!
I will admit that at least this time, the Bulldog fans were pretty good, because I was loud and obnoxious, & deserved a butt whipping! Afterwards, we went to a local bar where there was 500 Bulldogs & 25 Jackets! We had a good time high fiving and being jacka**es!! It was great!!

Another memorable game for me was in 1984,,,, GT was not very good at that time. ( A Bill Curry team). A work buddy of mine, who was a big Bulldog nut, kept bugging me to go to Sanford Stadium with him to see the game! I knew that he just wanted to "rub it in" after they beat us, but I finally agreed to go. I was white & gold in a sea of red & black! John Dewberry, an ex-Bulldog, led us to a 35-18 victory over 18th ranked Georgia! Every ball bounced our way that game, and we beat them worse than the score indicated!
I will admit that at least this time, the Bulldog fans were pretty good, because I was loud and obnoxious, & deserved a butt whipping! Afterwards, we went to a local bar where there was 500 Bulldogs & 25 Jackets! We had a good time high fiving and being jacka**es!! It was great!!
Glad you didn't have any problem with the mutt fans. I, on the other hand, got cussed spit at by one after the game because I had a piece of the hedge. Fortunately he only spit AT me; he missed.

Animal02

Banned

My personal favorite was this game against Virginia in ‘98. This was the first year my family had season tickets that included a seat for me (I was 11), and we were watching this game from section 205. I’m fairly certain it was the Homecoming game that season, and that UVA was ranked in the top 3. The first half was miserable. It was hot and Tech was getting beat pretty good. There was a UVA fan sitting up in our section, and every time they would score or make a big play he would unfurl this big UVA flag he brought with him and wave it around. As Tech began to come back and eventually overtake the game, the whole section was chanting “show us the flag!”. I loved every minute of it.

That was my first time back on campus since graduating in '83. Sat in Sec 111 looking straight down the goal posts. The game was sold out but much of the section had left before the comeback. Had a great view of the UVA field goal attempt fall short at the end of the game.

Animal02

Banned
I've told the story before....my favorite was '81 against Bama in Birmingham. They were ranked #2 had done their opener, and it was our opener.....we were big underdogs. Bama fans were all trash talking before the game. I was with about eight people all from DramaTech. Our seats were in the first row right behind the Tech bench. We could not see anything because the height of the field and the players standing....so we stood...drew complaints from the Bama fans behind us. A cop came over, checked our tickets and told them he could not do anything. Dean Dull was standing near by, recognized us and decided to sit at the end of the aisle to prevent trouble. I was at the opposite direction end of the row.....so all the alcohol got passed down to me. I played bartender for the game...one for them..one for me. Was pretty trashed by the end of the game. Almost got arrested after the game for going on the field after we won. (Years later I saw I was on TV drunkenly swinging my then g.f. around after our last school) That was the only game we won all year. I have never seen a stadium that large and full so quiet after we took the lead late in the game. Fortunately, the guy that was sitting right next to DD was stone cold sober (and pissed about it) and was amble to drive us home

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
That was my first time back on campus since graduating in '83. Sat in Sec 111 looking straight down the goal posts. The game was sold out but much of the section had left before the comeback. Had a great view of the UVA field goal attempt fall short at the end of the game.

You didn’t make it back 1 time between 1983 and 1998?!?

Lawyer mark

Jolly Good Fellow
That was the night I proposed to my wife. I took her out for a nice dinner and such then popped the question afterwards, so I missed the game. I called my parents to tell them she said yes, and they told me Tech had just won. My wife still gives me grief for being more excited about that game than our engagement.
That was my wedding night. Managed to watch the last few minutes of the game... not sure which was more memorable, game or wedding...

AlaJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
One of my most memorable players is Eric Wilcox who played MLB from 1966 through 1968. He was possibly the most physical player that I can remember on the flats, and definitely had as much heart as any I have ever seen anywhere. Unfortunately, my most vivid memory of Eric was the 1968 UGA game which was his last game. Eric was a dominant player all the years he played, but he really carried the weight for the defense in the 1968 season (his senior year). As in all of Bud Carson's years, there was little offensive output, and the team's hopes relied very heavily on the performance on the defense. I can't remember which game Eric sprained an ankle, but it must have been in one of the first couple of the year. I'm not sure whether it was Carson's decision or Eric's, but the ankle got damaged over and over as the year progressed. He never sat out to give it time to heal. Finally, by the time of the Georgia game it was so bad that they were deadening the ankle with something so that he could try to play. By the second half, he was falling because he didn't have any feeling left in the ankle. He would run several steps completely on the side of the foot before falling. They would get him off the field, then, apparently, he would talk them into letting him return again in a few minutes. The game ended up being a 47-8 loss, but it certainly wasn't because Wilcox didn't give it everything he could muster.

He coached for Curry at Tech, then followed him to Alabama, and (I believe) to Kentucky. I lost track of him after Kentucky. I would be interested to hear where he went from there and if he stayed in coaching.

Animal02

Banned
You didn’t make it back 1 time between 1983 and 1998?!?
Nope. Had little interest in Tech football for years after being there in the late 70's early 80's. Not until very late 80's did I really start to follow it again.....then game having a very young child which takes priority $$$ wise......architects don't make squat for years.....I was almost 40 before I was able to start my own practice and make good $$$.....one reason I would not recommend Architecture as a career to anyone.