GT football memories

TechBurn

Jolly Good Fellow
It might be interesting in sharing our football memories while at Ma Tech, or big games that we personally experienced..... I was there in the early 70’s, back when our true rivals were Tennessee, Auburn, & of course, #1 Georgia,,,, these were the teams that we wanted to beat! Clemson & most of the Florida teams were considered a sure win! ( guess times have changed!?!?) Rock Perdoni was considered the big man on campus! We all thought that he was huge at 5’10” and around 260 lbs! He could sure dominate a game defensively along with Smiley Gebhart!! I remember that they decimated FSU in 1970! One unsung hero on that team was a DB named Rich Lewis... Against Tulane at BDS, in a rainy and cold game, he intercepted 2 passes and ran them back for TDs. We beat Tulane 20-6! To give credit to the enemy, we all felt that we had Auburn well in hand that year,, but Pat Sullivan teamed up with Terry Beasley to crush us in that game!
Pat Sullivan went on to win the Heisman.. He is probably the best college quarterback that I’ve ever seen live.
I do remember a number of fist fights with Georgia fans! One time was after the junior varsity game traditionally held on Thanksgiving Day (I believe?) At the end of the game, fans from both sides rushed the field and a melee occurred! I punched a GA player in the helmet & almost broke my hand! Guess I paid some stupid tax on that one!!. I could go on and on about away game experiences, etc., but I’ll leave it for others...

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
It might be interesting in sharing our football memories while at Ma Tech, or big games that we personally experienced..... I was there in the early 70’s, back when our true rivals were Tennessee, Auburn, & of course, #1 Georgia,,,, these were the teams that we wanted to beat! Clemson & most of the Florida teams were considered a sure win! ( guess times have changed!?!?) Rock Perdoni was considered the big man on campus! We all thought that he was huge at 5’10” and around 260 lbs! He could sure dominate a game defensively along with Smiley Gebhart!! I remember that they decimated FSU in 1970! One unsung hero on that team was a DB named Rich Lewis... Against Tulane at BDS, in a rainy and cold game, he intercepted 2 passes and ran them back for TDs. We beat Tulane 20-6! To give credit to the enemy, we all felt that we had Auburn well in hand that year,, but Pat Sullivan teamed up with Terry Beasley to crush us in that game!
Pat Sullivan went on to win the Heisman.. He is probably the best college quarterback that I’ve ever seen live.
I do remember a number of fist fights with Georgia fans! One time was after the junior varsity game traditionally held on Thanksgiving Day (I believe?) At the end of the game, fans from both sides rushed the field and a melee occurred! I punched a GA player in the helmet & almost broke my hand! Guess I paid some stupid tax on that one!!. I could go on and on about away game experiences, etc., but I’ll leave it for others...
I remember Rock fondly. He got low, hit hard and often overpowered guys with bigger frames.

I also thought Pat Sullivan was one of the best quarterbacks I had ever seen. Then in a bowl game an Oklahoma wishbone team wiped the field with Auburn. Score could have been 70 to nothing but Oklahoma put in subs early on both sides of the ball.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Two stand out to me. The famous win against ND when we didn't throw a pass freshman year. They simply never believed we would/could keep running the ball and the wishbone did the job. The other was senior year against Florida. We lost the opening 2 games as we changed from the wishbone to the I, and then won 7 in a row. Florida at home was #6 on that run. I just remember standing in the upper deck student section, chanting "I love the Yellow Jackets, how 'bout you?" or Eddie Lee Ivery" over and over and over. Every time we stopped or sat down something bad happened so eventually by sort of an unspoken decision everyone just kept standing and chanting. Don't ever remember drinking so much at a game before or since. Apologies to the guy in front of me and his date that i kept spilling bourbon on. She thought it was funny, he didn't have much of a sense of humor.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Jasper Thanks, fumbling the football...

Sat in the upper east right above the UGA band. Well after the game was over and hanging out over the rail, did this witch laugh cackle with band members looking up at me with pissed consternation. I remember their fight song, which they sang with angry gusto, "...and to hell with Georgia Tech". Bwa ha ha...

Hey the refs gave us one, but we deserved it after Vince Dooley won all those games with players that didn't even go to class.

I could write a book about it since My first games were in 1969. We used to wear coats and ties to the games, even in September. Yes I was 7 years old. But for me, my game that will always be Georgia Tech is 1980 Notre Dame, when they came back to tie us 3-3. That was a day of Georgia Tech spirit, grit and determination. And for me, my favorite 2 players, Eddie Lee Ivery and Jerry Mays.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Has to be 1990 in Charlottesville. Paved the way to our most recent National Championship. Down two TDs at the half but never gave up and won (as you all know) on Scott Sisson's last-second kick. Much of the second half is a bit hazy (was I drinking?) but the postgame celebration on the field was amazing!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Has to be 1990 in Charlottesville. Paved the way to our most recent National Championship. Down two TDs at the half but never gave up and won (as you all know) on Scott Sisson's last-second kick. Much of the second half is a bit hazy (was I drinking?) but the postgame celebration on the field was amazing!

It was their homecoming, and I went with a wahoo alumna. I was surrounded by wahoos, one dude shouting, "whoops another touchdown!" behind my back through the first half. By being a good sport about it, the surrounding group was ok when I started saying it in the 2nd half.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Celebration on which field? I was on campus watching on TV. Somehow a mass of humanity emerged from dorms & fraternity houses after that game & "invaded" BDS... tore down goal posts and all. 1990's season provided too many great memories to even list. ...but storming Grant Field after a road win is up there.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Jasper Thanks, fumbling the football...

Sat in the upper east right above the UGA band. Well after the game was over and hanging out over the rail, did this witch laugh cackle with band members looking up at me with pissed consternation. I remember their fight song, which they sang with angry gusto, "...and to hell with Georgia Tech". Bwa ha ha...

Hey the refs gave us one, but we deserved it after Vince Dooley won all those games with players that didn't even go to class.
Wasn't our win the year after Uga converted a fourth down play on a bogus interference call that allowed them to win the game with seconds on the clock? Always felt like the refs were making up for previous bad call.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Wasn't our win the year after Uga converted a fourth down play on a bogus interference call that allowed them to win the game with seconds on the clock? Always felt like the refs were making up for previous bad call.

Two years after that. The '99 game is my fondest memory. The '97 game was the worst.

Natehosch

Georgia Tech Fan
09 Virginia Tech Game ... knocked off #4 in the country and paved the way to win the ACC. Loudest I have ever heard BDS.

sc jacket 22

Jolly Good Fellow
09 Virginia Tech Game ... knocked off #4 in the country and paved the way to win the ACC. Loudest I have ever heard BDS.
That was the night I proposed to my wife. I took her out for a nice dinner and such then popped the question afterwards, so I missed the game. I called my parents to tell them she said yes, and they told me Tech had just won. My wife still gives me grief for being more excited about that game than our engagement.

sc jacket 22

Jolly Good Fellow

My personal favorite was this game against Virginia in ‘98. This was the first year my family had season tickets that included a seat for me (I was 11), and we were watching this game from section 205. I’m fairly certain it was the Homecoming game that season, and that UVA was ranked in the top 3. The first half was miserable. It was hot and Tech was getting beat pretty good. There was a UVA fan sitting up in our section, and every time they would score or make a big play he would unfurl this big UVA flag he brought with him and wave it around. As Tech began to come back and eventually overtake the game, the whole section was chanting “show us the flag!”. I loved every minute of it.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer

My personal favorite was this game against Virginia in ‘98. This was the first year my family had season tickets that included a seat for me (I was 11), and we were watching this game from section 205. I’m fairly certain it was the Homecoming game that season, and that UVA was ranked in the top 3. The first half was miserable. It was hot and Tech was getting beat pretty good. There was a UVA fan sitting up in our section, and every time they would score or make a big play he would unfurl this big UVA flag he brought with him and wave it around. As Tech began to come back and eventually overtake the game, the whole section was chanting “show us the flag!”. I loved every minute of it.

I didn’t see it in person but that was the day I became a Tech fan. Awesome game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk