GT @ Florida State

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Yeah, I'm proud of the way they fought back. I think we can beat them in Atlanta, but we need Howard or Saba to give us 5-10 minutes.
Also, I've been really impressed with Moore this year. He isn't a star, but he gets a stat in every category and you need a guy that can do that. I hope he keeps it up.

Moore has always been a winning player. Swiss army type. He's not great but has improved each year.

I also appreciated that the team didn't give up. They were up against a lot m, got hit in the face, but came back swinging.

I hated how long it took us to take Alvarado off the Scottie kid. Hated that our bigs aren't quite ready to help.

Not a terrible loss on the road. Seeing the same issues happening is kinda disheartening but I remain confident we're gonna have a good season.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
They made their shots and we didn’t, and that plus the size mismatch was too much to handle. Still encouraged we made a game of it. Probably need to win the next four now (three nonconference and UNC at home)

I agree but would extend that to our issue is we couldn't get shots or really even drives by our 3 guards against their 6'8" guys. Their long athletes were able to stay in front of and control our guards with a much bigger lineup. While we didn't make shots we also didn't make them pay for staying big against our midgets on the offensive end. Scottie Barnes in particular handled Jose or DeVoe whenever he had that matchup. We have to be able to drive that type of matchup and make them pay on a kick. We didn't.

However, I am really not overly disapointed tonight. We played scrappy and hard and had a chance against a team that is really better than we are.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
They made their shots and we didn’t, and that plus the size mismatch was too much to handle. Still encouraged we made a game of it. Probably need to win the next four now (three nonconference and UNC at home)
But see there’s the rub. For 15 years the way you beat Georgia Tech is force us outside. We’ve got to be able to knock down some open threes.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
On one hand we had a chance to make a run at the end to win it which is about the most I could reasonably hope for. I still maintain that FSU will be the best team in the ACC and that we had to hope we caught them before Barnes really got going. Unfortunately it mostly came down to them being able to hit threes and we couldn't. 12 TOs is okay. Rebs were okay. Got down early, fought back, got down again in the second half and fought back.

On the other hand, I just do not understand why we are going 3 guards all game every game even when it's obvious we aren't getting the production to warrant it. Bubba and Kyle combined for 2-7 for 5 points, 3 assists, 1 steal in 40 minutes. That just doesn't justify it. It feels like they are out there just to help with the PG duties and we have a 4 year starting PG. I could understand it if one or the other were having a particularly good game but outside of that flurry comeback in the second half neither really were. Maybe we don't win, but to not even try putting an actual rim protector in against the tallest team in the nation is just baffling when the alternative just wasn't producing an advantage. Hell, it's possible that Moses might have been able to get going more if he wasn't having to bang every single time.

Overall, I don't think we played bad, but I just don't think not even being willing to try to put in a rim protector when you aren't getting production from the third guard spot is good.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
On one hand we had a chance to make a run at the end to win it which is about the most I could reasonably hope for. I still maintain that FSU will be the best team in the ACC and that we had to hope we caught them before Barnes really got going. Unfortunately it mostly came down to them being able to hit threes and we couldn't. 12 TOs is okay. Rebs were okay. Got down early, fought back, got down again in the second half and fought back.

On the other hand, I just do not understand why we are going 3 guards all game every game even when it's obvious we aren't getting the production to warrant it. Bubba and Kyle combined for 2-7 for 5 points, 3 assists, 1 steal in 40 minutes. That just doesn't justify it. It feels like they are out there just to help with the PG duties and we have a 4 year starting PG. I could understand it if one or the other were having a particularly good game but outside of that flurry comeback in the second half neither really were. Maybe we don't win, but to not even try putting an actual rim protector in against the tallest team in the nation is just baffling when the alternative just wasn't producing an advantage. Hell, it's possible that Moses might have been able to get going more if he wasn't having to bang every single time.

Overall, I don't think we played bad, but I just don't think not even being willing to try to put in a rim protector when you aren't getting production from the third guard spot is good.
Bubba was a bad match for FSU. I thought having Kyle bring the ball up freed up Jose from doing it, which can only help given the number of minutes Jose logs.

The sequence at the end where we get a steal but miss a layup, miss the putback attempt, and then FSU gets a lay-in at the end of the game sealed our fate. 4 point swing. We really had a chance.

But in general, I agree that FSU looks pretty good and I thought we played well. I also would have liked to see what one of our bigs could do in there if we tried.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
FSU is the 15th ranked team? If they're not a top 5 team then there are some REALLY good teams out there. They have a LOT of length, athleticism, and a few really good shooters. Scottie Barnes is a high lottery pick. That guy has ridiculous ability. I would be shocked if FSU isn't a Final Four team before it's all said and done. They just had a matchup advantage against us at every spot in the lineup.

If you want to know Moses's NBA prospects...well, FSU pretty much laid it out bare. Those are the kind of athletes Wright will see every game at the next level. He played hard, but FSU had guys that matched up well against him on both ends of the floor. They had fouls to give, and Wright did not.

Given how badly we matched up with FSU, I actually thought there long stretches we played REALLY well. We can go on some incredible runs at times. Unfortunately, when your lead guards turn it over six times with just 2 assists...well, that's not good.

I said it in another thread, but we have 7 guys that can contribute on any night. I thought Usher played one of his better games, and Sturdivant played better than what you'll see on his stat sheet. He seemed like the only guard that could penetrate and control the game for us. Moore also played a really good all around game. It seems he's starting to figure it out and he's becoming an impact player for us. Against FSU. you better have some big guards or else their length will eat you up. It's not a surprise that Parham and Alvarado struggled.

We had 17 turnovers. Usually I'd rail against it, but we also forced FSU into 13 turnovers. Obviously it's not a good thing to have 17 TOs, but it's promising to know we can create turnovers as well (we had 7 steals in the game). If our lead guards had a better TO night, maybe the outcome is different.

I'm disappointed we lost, but this loss doesn't bother me like GA State and Mercer. FSU is going to be scary good soon.

Deleted member 2897

Pastner knew for two years Banks would be gone after last season. It’s inexcusable that he wasn’t able to bring in a front court player to help Moses. Meanwhile Cole goes for 31 and 10 against a Pac 12 team.

We have 2 big men to help Moses, not one. The question is why can neither play a few minutes. Somethings weird about that.

Deleted member 2897

My opinion is that FSU will end the year the best team in the ACC. It's just a matter of how long it will take Scotty Barnes to develop.

Going to be real hard to beat them on the road, but maybe we can have a good shooting night and steal one.

Well I feel you after watching this game. Lots of talent over there. We showed flashes of brilliance. If we can play close to how we did last night, we can go 12-8 in the ACC. To be down 1 point with 8 minutes left is about all you can ask for - we had a chance.

80% from FT, 43% from FG. That’s not terrible, but their 50%+ from FG/3PT was the difference.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Moore has always been a winning player. Swiss army type. He's not great but has improved each year.

I also appreciated that the team didn't give up. They were up against a lot m, got hit in the face, but came back swinging.

I hated how long it took us to take Alvarado off the Scottie kid. Hated that our bigs aren't quite ready to help.

Not a terrible loss on the road. Seeing the same issues happening is kinda disheartening but I remain confident we're gonna have a good season.
**** for a while, we had Bubba guarding him... That was a head-scratcher. We finally put Khalid on him, but it was in the bag (no pun intended).

slugboy

Staff member
When I first turned on the game (23” TV—not a huge picture), FSU was in Gold and we were in Blue, and FSU runs basically the same offense we do, with a couple of wrinkles we don’t use. For a second, I got mixed up and thought “hey, our offense looks smooth tonight”, but it was FSU.
Watching a motion offense like Mercer earlier this year, it’s just smoother and more fun to watch. It also creates more open looks and puts less pressure on players to individually create shots.
Leonard Hamilton at FSU goes deep into his bench and plays an active full court defense. It’s not “40 minutes of H***”, but it’s going to wear out the other team over the course of a game, and it’s an advantage there to go deeper.

Usher played a pretty good first half. Also, 33% from 3 isn’t going to win many for us, especially when the inside is clogged up. What I hope for in a game like this is Alvarado’s dribbling driving FSU crazy, but you’d have needed something more like a Kenny Anderson or Stephon Marbury to pull that off.
Basi
StartersMPFGFGAFG%2P2PA2P%3P3PA3P%FTFTAFT%ORBDRBTRBASTSTLBLKTOVPFPTSV
Michael Devoe35715.46759.55626.33356.8331340004221
Moses Wright3336.50035.60001.00068.7502020011512
Jordan Usher2659.55635.60024.500001343313312
Jose Alvarado3837.42924.50013.33300011120237
Kyle Sturdivant2325.40024.50001.000111.000011200125
Khalid Moore2627.28624.50003.00000066410004
Bubba Parham1702.0000002.00000022110110
Saba Gigiberia200000000000000010

[thead] [/thead]

Provided by CBB at Sports Reference: View Original Table
Generated 12/16/2020.

FSU had 10 players score. Wilkes only scored 11, but it seemed like he had a dagger for us. Their scoring was more even, and while you might say bench contributions won the game for FSU, their top 5 were more of an even threat.
This wasn’t the turnover or steal-based game that you would have expected, either.
Basi
StartersMPFGFGAFG%2P2PA2P%3P3PA3P%FTFTAFT%ORBDRBTRBASTSTLBLKTOVPFPTSV
Scottie Barnes30610.60067.85703.00046.6670661203316
M.J. Walker3549.44425.40024.500441.0001341102114
Wyatt Wilkes1147.57114.250331.000001011010111
Anthony Polite3447.57123.66724.500000113301110
Balsa Koprivica2645.80045.8000024.5002683002010
Raiquan Gray3015.20014.25001.000221.000246200244
Nathanael Jack512.5000012.50000000000013
Malik Osborne1913.33313.3330000011100132
Sardaar Calhoun612.50012.5000000011100102
Quincy Ballard4111.000111.0000000101000112

[thead] [/thead]

Provided by CBB at Sports Reference: View Original Table
Generated 12/16/2020.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We have only 12 players on scholarship right now. Maxwell is not not ready to play following his injury. Meka is out for the year. Howard and Saba are not going to play because they're simply not good enough. Didenko is still on the roster, but is clearly not a college basketball player. That leaves CJP with only seven guys to play.

That lack of depth cost us last night when the 16-0 run simply ran out of gas. Barnes made that dunk at the shot clock buzzer and we never picked it up again. I felt for Jose because he could not keep up with anyone on defense at the end last night. Walker simply blew past him. Also, I am glad we only have to face Barnes for one season. Man he is a really good player!

Last, FSU was not ranked in the top five because they lost three guys to the NBA. Clearly, the transfers, plus Barnes, are all Hamilton needed to reload. I saw them against Indiana and last night. They are getting better as they play together.

While I am showing so much love for Barnes I want to add this. He is 6'9" and 230# and is their starting PG as a freshman. And, he is not playing out of position. If he continues playing like he did last night he will be the All-ACC PG. And probably a lottery pick. There was never any way for Jose or Bubba or Sturdivant to match up with him.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
FSU is very good. We played well enough to make it a game on the road which is promising.

The TV camera angle was weird. But every now and then they'd cut to a floor camera. That's when you really saw the crazy height differences.

Their Barnes is a one-and-done lottery pick. He was on the bench for our run in the second half. I wanted to have Khalid guard him all night (maybe even face guard him), but if you do that then you end up with matchup issues at the 2, 3, and 4. Khalid was on him at the end, but it didn't matter much, he broke down Khalid and scored easily. Very few players can do that, Khalid is a very good defender. We will not be the only team that plays FSU this year that pulls their hair out with match up nightmares.

We need to figure out our three point shooting and our bigs. Most of our three attempts were "good shots". But if you only make 5 on 20 attempts you aren't going to win.

We have two bigs and its time to get them on the floor. We won't achieve the success we want this year if we don't get them integrated into the lineup now.

/

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Sturdivant needs to start. The biggest runs GT has had the last three games was when he was on the court.

I really like the Alvarado/Sturdivant/Devoe guard lineup. I think we're pretty effective with all three on the floor.

Sturdivant needs more minutes. I'd like to see an advanced analytic study on how well we play with him on the floor. He's more of a facilitator than a scorer, and that's fine because we run well when he's on the floor.

Moses is 6'9 and he's not skinny by any measure. There was a few times he got the ball on the post and three defenders collapsed on him...and he looked like he was being swarmed by giants. That kind of length, size, and athleticism that FSU has is incredible. They can give most any team in the nation matchup issues at every position.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
Ultimately I am not that disappointed with this loss. We fought hard but our biggest weakness (lack of 3 pojnt shooting) is the reason we lost. FSU is probably the best team in the conference and is way under ranked in my opinion. They are and have been a bad match up for us the last few years. We can still win a our share of games but we need more consistent offensive output from our perimeter players and hopefully at some point something, anything from our young bigs.