GT fan day info

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Connell, I’m with you. I started buying season tix the year McCamish opened. I rarely miss a home game. I’m loud as hell to the point of probably annoying some of our other fans. I have to sit down all the time so old folks behind me can see and that annoys me. I get it. Im a passionate GT fan, and I especially love college hoops. BUT, you are basically making my point for me by saying, “any game against a name opponent is at least 50%”. That’s not exactly a strong endorsement of our fandom.
Meh - I was simply responding to your assertion that we struggle to achieve 50%.

If you’re talking about the entire season..maybe, but I’d be willing to bet you that no ACC game (other BC or maybe VT) or P5 non conference opponent, that wasn’t a 9PM game, had less 6000.

Look, I’m not going to die on that hill because for the most part, our fan base sucks. That’s always been my biggest gripe. Those that complain the loudest can’t even buy a ticket.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Y'all must go to a different McCamish than I do. I usually get to my seat about 30 - 40 minutes before game time. I am usually the only person in my section until about 15 mins til tip. The student section below 108-110 is virtually empty until tip. The section with the band is a morgue until tip, unless you count the guy who ears the cowboy outfit in one half and the genie outfit the other. He's all in and very entertaining. The Thriller Dome was one of the best environments in college hoops, but those days are decades in the past. We need to get more people and more energy in th joint

gt69hjcollins

Georgia Tech Fan
I went on line to purchase a ticket for the Georgia game and there were very few tickets available in good sections. If there had been a decent seat available I would have purchased one. When I watch the game on TV I expect to see half of the seats empty. Why does this occur?

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
I went on line to purchase a ticket for the Georgia game and there were very few tickets available in good sections. If there had been a decent seat available I would have purchased one. When I watch the game on TV I expect to see half of the seats empty. Why does this occur?
Some tickets are in the secondary market.

It’s also the Georgia game so it usually sells out fast. Dawgs probably fill 40-60 percent of the crowd.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Y'all must go to a different McCamish than I do. I usually get to my seat about 30 - 40 minutes before game time. I am usually the only person in my section until about 15 mins til tip. The student section below 108-110 is virtually empty until tip. The section with the band is a morgue until tip, unless you count the guy who ears the cowboy outfit in one half and the genie outfit the other. He's all in and very entertaining. The Thriller Dome was one of the best environments in college hoops, but those days are decades in the past. We need to get more people and more energy in th joint
My experience is similar. When the Thrillerdome is rocking it’s an amazing environment, but it simply doesn’t happen often enough.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I’ve wondered the same thing.

Secondary market resellers are probably a big part of it I guess, but I don’t really know. In my opinion, the GTAA should just completely shut this down. Sell ZERO tickets to resellers. I know they would never do this, because it’s easy money and something is better than nothing in their view, but it really hurts the fan experience in my view.

Another issue that I suspect is fairly prevalent is season ticket holders that simply don’t attend many games. This is a pet peeve of mine. I think you should get priority points not just for purchasing season tickets but also for actually using the tickets. Don’t use enough, lose your place in line to renew. I’m sure this opinion will probably rub some forum members the wrong way, because I suspect some members fall into this category, but that’s my opinion. Instead of buying season tickets, just make a donation to GTAA. I personally know of 2 older gents that have held season tix for decades, but they live 1:30 away and attend very few games. Sometimes I see their sons and grandkids using the tix, but not regularly.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I honestly wonder how many season tickets go unused every game like you're saying. I bet it's a very high number.

I know GTAA also artificially limits supply to trick people into thinking the game is almost sold out. That's why you can look at the seating chart for the Miami football game, see low supply left in the Upper North, but then you click in and everything appears sold after like row 10 but tickets are available for every seat in rows 7-9.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck

Secondary market resellers are probably a big part of it I guess, but I don’t really know. In my opinion, the GTAA should just completely shut this down. Sell ZERO tickets to resellers. I know they would never do this, because it’s easy money and something is better than nothing in their view, but it really hurts the fan experience in my view.

Another issue that I suspect is fairly prevalent is season ticket holders that simply don’t attend many games. This is a pet peeve of mine. I think you should get priority points not just for purchasing season tickets but also for actually using the tickets. Don’t use enough, lose your place in line to renew. I’m sure this opinion will probably rub some forum members the wrong way, because I suspect some members fall into this category, but that’s my opinion. Instead of buying season tickets, just make a donation to GTAA. I personally know of 2 older gents that have held season tix for decades, but they live 1:30 away and attend very few games. Sometimes I see their sons and grandkids using the tix, but not regularly.
Complete transparency… I have 4 season tix, and sometimes some of them do go unused. I am at practically every game but sometimes some of my other tix do go unused. I do my best… I regularly drag my kids out to 9pm tip-offs on school nights 😂

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Do any of you guys sit in 102? I moved my seats there for this year, always seemed like the most engaged section (aside from the students). The lower part of the section behind the bench doesn't seem afraid to stand/make some noise on defense.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Do any of you guys sit in 102? I moved my seats there for this year, always seemed like the most engaged section (aside from the students). The lower part of the section behind the bench doesn't seem afraid to stand/make some noise on defense.
I used to sit in 102, but near the top. I liked that section. Down lower near the bench probably would have been even better. Then I moved straight across to section 108. That section was awesome, mainly because there is an older, married couple of alums in that section (I don’t want to put their names out there) that are probably the best GT bball fans in the whole place. Now I sit in 110 in the first row behind the sideline student section. It’s also near the pep band and the south goal student section, so it’s pretty lively. I like it and my wife and kids like it.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I used to sit in 102, but near the top. I liked that section. Down lower near the bench probably would have been even better. Then I moved straight across to section 108. That section was awesome, mainly because there is an older, married couple of alums in that section (I don’t want to put their names out there) that are probably the best GT bball fans in the whole place. Now I sit in 110 in the first row behind the sideline student section. It’s also near the pep band and the south goal student section, so it’s pretty lively. I like it and my wife and kids like it.
Nice -- I sit in that area for the women's games and it's a good crowd, great sightline (though where isn't in McCamish?). I liked my neighbor last season though he didn't go to every game and our rows were a ghost town - hopefully I get some great neighbors w/ the new seats.

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
For many years I purchased season tickets in the Callaway Club for my company. I would give them to employees, suppliers, and customers. When I couldn't find someone to take them, I would bring my daughter. Last year, the tickets often went unused because I could not find anyone willing to take them and my daughter lost interest. I decided not to renew this year because I was not getting much value. I never considered buying season tickets as an obligation or as charity. With limited value, I don't see the point.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I sat Callaway last year. The food is pretty good (and it gets fancy sometimes - the UNC? game last year had lobster rolls) but I don't drink these days so its hard to justify dropping the open bar money if you're just going to stick to Diet Cokes. It's a nice splurge a couple times a season but I wouldn't put the value much past $75/ticket for the average person (which is about where I'd put CL tickets at Bobby Dodd). I'm surprised you had trouble giving the tickets away though - usually it's not hard to get people excited about free food/alcohol.

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
I sat Callaway last year. The food is pretty good (and it gets fancy sometimes - the UNC? game last year had lobster rolls) but I don't drink these days so its hard to justify dropping the open bar money if you're just going to stick to Diet Cokes. It's a nice splurge a couple times a season but I wouldn't put the value much past $75/ticket for the average person (which is about where I'd put CL tickets at Bobby Dodd). I'm surprised you had trouble giving the tickets away though - usually it's not hard to get people excited about free food/alcohol.
I was telling everyone to forget about the game and just shovel food into your pie hole.

ramblinjacket

Ramblin' Wreck

99% sure GTAA only lists a few seats in each section at any one time. I think they are trying to fake some short supply so you feel urgency and buy. Take a look at what's for sale now in any of the upper sections. It will show limited supply and usually something like 4 seats in the front row. I bet those sections are completely empty.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I had Callaway seats for many years, but like @AUFC, I didn't get the value for the price. I dropped those and now am in 101. I have 4 seats and can usually find someone to sit with me for ACC or UGA games. The TX Rio Grande's of the world are impossible to give away.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
A couple of folks have shared their experiences of having given up Callaway Club seats for seats in other lower level sideline sections due to their perceived value received or, lack there of, for the premium price of Callaway Club. Thanks for sharing y’all’s feedback. I have toyed with the idea of upgrading to Callaway Club but haven’t for several reasons:
  • It wouldn’t be a smart financial move for me right now, because I can’t really afford it.
  • I’m not sure I would enjoy the lower key atmosphere as much as what I have in my current seats closer to the court and closer to the loudest sections in the arena (the student sections).
  • The cost of the ticket upgrade would pale in comparison to the cost of my kids developing diabetes and needing dental implants from all the free candy 😂

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
A couple of folks have shared their experiences of having given up Callaway Club seats for seats in other lower level sideline sections due to their perceived value received or, lack there of, for the premium price of Callaway Club. Thanks for sharing y’all’s feedback. I have toyed with the idea of upgrading to Callaway Club but haven’t for several reasons:
  • It wouldn’t be a smart financial move for me right now, because I can’t really afford it.
  • I’m not sure I would enjoy the lower key atmosphere as much as what I have in my current seats closer to the court and closer to the loudest sections in the arena (the student sections).
  • The cost of the ticket upgrade would pale in comparison to the cost of my kids developing diabetes and needing dental implants from all the free candy 😂
My family one year (13-14 I think) got season tickets for basketball in Callaway Club. It’s a good section with nice perks but we found that we could drop it. I try to attend every game I can but unlike football games are never routinely at a set time, and there’s so many of them. So sometimes family plans get in the way. I managed to go to I think 3 or 4 last year. Since that season we either buy tickets for games online or at the ticket office on game day. Thing with McCamish is that there’s no bad seat so while Callaway is nice, you can still sit in the nosebleeds and get a good view of the game and save a whole lot of cash. Usually I tend to sit on the lower deck.