GT fan day info

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Do we just not do a traditional Midnight Madness because the attendance is too sad? I feel like we’ve had them in the past. Give away a bunch of free beer and I bet we could get 8,600 students and alums in McCamish. I feel like it would pay dividends with regards to turnout in the regular season.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
AsDo we just not do a traditional Midnight Madness because the attendance is too sad? I feel like we’ve had them in the past. Give away a bunch of free beer and I bet we could get 8,600 students and alums in McCamish. I feel like it would pay dividends with regards to turnout in the regular season.
We did it once in like 2018. Some rap group preformed too and we revealed new uniforms. As far as I can recall that's the ONLY time we've done it.

Attendance has been fine for hoops. Lacked last year but mainly bc of 1. Covid restrictions just being lifted and 2. Mediocre preformance. We had around 5-6K per game. Not good but not poor either. Should be higher this year.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Wasn't the 2018 shindig when the big recruit came in and then ***** slapped us the next day and committed elsewhere after dancing on stage, etc?

Attendance has been poor most years I've had season tix (2002-03). We've had blips where it was hard to get a ticket, but most years the place has been half full (except for visiting team fans who frequently outnumber the home fans)

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Wasn't the 2018 shindig when the big recruit came in and then ***** slapped us the next day and committed elsewhere after dancing on stage, etc?

Attendance has been poor most years I've had season tix (2002-03). We've had blips where it was hard to get a ticket, but most years the place has been half full (except for visiting team fans who frequently outnumber the home fans)

Marcus Watson I believe. Was believed to be about to commit to us then switched to Okie State last minute.

He never played a minute for them as he was accused of rape and transferred first to New Mexico State where he 3.4 ppg for them, and then again to North Carolina A&T where he average 12.6 ppg last year.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer

Besides Georgia, Duke or UNC normally we have a HOME crowd. Crowd can lack on weekday games, but normally it’s loud on Saturday or Sunday, our students usually do a great job too.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Besides Georgia, Duke or UNC normally we have a HOME crowd. Crowd can lack on weekday games, but normally it’s loud on Saturday or Sunday, our students usually do a great job too.
I appreciate your positive attitude, but I think you’re wearing gold colored glasses when it comes to our fan support of the bball team.
We struggle to average 50% of capacity at McCamish, and it is one of the smallest arenas in the ACC at 8600 seats. Also there have been many games at McCamish where our home crowd has been practically run out of the gym by a vastly louder and more boisterous visitor crowd. Louisville brought fans on a caravan of charter busses a few years ago. It seemed like the busses were lined up on 10th street from McCamish practically all the way to Hemphill Ave.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
I appreciate your positive attitude, but I think you’re wearing gold colored glasses when it comes to our fan support of the bball team.
We struggle to average 50% of capacity at McCamish, and it is one of the smallest arenas in the ACC at 8600 seats. Also there have been many games at McCamish where our home crowd has been practically run out of the gym by a vastly louder and more boisterous visitor crowd. Louisville brought fans on a caravan of charter busses a few years ago. It seemed like the busses were lined up on 10th street from McCamish practically all the way to Hemphill Ave.
I remember that louisville game... that sucked. BUT still we usually have a decent home crowd. We don't sell out but it's still a noisy arena at times. Even last year when UNC came to town (and brought a ton of unc fans down with em) our students and the GT fans who WERE there made a ton of noise. UNC wasn't even able to get their "TAAAAAAR" chant going like they usually do after road wins.

I know we have work to do but we still have a solid enviroment for basketball.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
With all due respect, you gave one example. Over the last 5-6 years, I haven't missed many home games and outside of Louisville or maybe UNC or Cuse, it is not close. Their fans travel well.

The non-conference games against Florida A & M and the likes have seen dreadful crowds, but any game against a name opponent is at least 50%.

If not for COVID, you would have likely seen the old-school thriller dome crowds in 2020.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
With all due respect, you gave one example. Over the last 5-6 years, I haven't missed many home games and outside of Louisville or maybe UNC or Cuse, it is not close. Their fans travel well.

The non-conference games against Florida A & M and the likes have seen dreadful crowds, but any game against a name opponent is at least 50%.

If not for COVID, you would have likely seen the old-school thriller dome crowds in 2020.
The 19-20 season (year before covid where we finished 17-14 but got banned from postseason) saw some great crowds tho. Man imagine if we had a full house in the 20-21 season when we made the tourney. Place would've been rocking.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
This past season tech had an average attendance of 4,791, 2019 it was 5,945, 2018 it was 6,518, 2017 it was 6,034 which ranked 88th in the country. Our basketball attendance is dropping fast

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
This past season tech had an average attendance of 4,791, 2019 it was 5,945, 2018 it was 6,518, 2017 it was 6,034 which ranked 88th in the country. Our basketball attendance is dropping fast

This should be a fun squad. I plan to go to several for sure. Covid and etc has derailed my in-person last few seasons but looking forward to it.

These were my first football games in person since 19 and plan to do same with b-ball.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Yeah... man if only we had fans that 20-21 year
The 1,200 students we did get to have were huge in that ACC season. Mike Brey commented after our comeback win against Notre Dame how the fans in the building pretty much won us the game with regards to the energy injection the team received. We had multiple huge runs to close gaps and take leads in that 2nd half.

That Wisconsin crowd you posted above was an anomaly also. It was deafening in there but I've never seen overflow sections used for students til that game. The student seating was sold out 10-15 minutes before tip and non-students section of the crowd (myself included) definitely fed off their energy/were more zoned in. It was a very intense game.

Littlejohn gets similar crowds that we do but they are much louder and much more pro-Clemson.

Last edited:

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck

Connell, I’m with you. I started buying season tix the year McCamish opened. I rarely miss a home game. I’m loud as hell to the point of probably annoying some of our other fans. I have to sit down all the time so old folks behind me can see and that annoys me. I get it. Im a passionate GT fan, and I especially love college hoops. BUT, you are basically making my point for me by saying, “any game against a name opponent is at least 50%”. That’s not exactly a strong endorsement of our fandom.