GT Faces Indiana in the NIT

northgajacket

Banned
Crean post game

Love for CBG.
No real credit to GTs D for doing what they've done.

Yeah Gregory recruited them, but apparently couldn't coach them.
I think this assclown is trying to save face by acting like a former Big Ten asst. like Gregory was the mastermind behind this team.
I hope he doesn't enjoy Bloomington because I doubt he's there much longer.

I feel sorry for South Florida

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Yeah Gregory recruited them, but apparently couldn't coach them.
I think this assclown is trying to save face by acting like a former Big Ten asst. like Gregory was the mastermind behind this team.
I hope he doesn't enjoy Bloomington because I doubt he's there much longer.

I feel sorry for South Florida

I don't. It's like selling a car w/o an engine "as is". The guy who bought it should have looked under the hood first.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I don't. It's like selling a car w/o an engine "as is". The guy who bought it should have looked under the hood first.
I said this on the other site as well, but USF has had four losing seasons in a row and is under investigation for academic fraud. If you are looking for a coach who will build a team of student athletes, he is a solid choice. He didn't have success here, but his players worked hard and were successful off the court.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I was there at the game, in the end zone opposite the student section. The students were definitely awesome. In the few instances when the IU fans got their spirits up and tried to get some kind of cheer going, the student section would start up one of their own and drown out the visitors. (y)
This was done at the Syr game also. Shouted the 'cuse fans down pretty quickly.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
One of the best all around games I've seen us play all year. Getting a nice lead early helps just to give all our guys a rest. Indiana pulled back with our bench in the game but we were rested.

Q played great. Was moving well without the ball all night and his shots were actually falling. Nice to see Okogie being aggressive again like he was 2 months ago. His first 2 shots really set the tone. My only complaint was our FT shooting early on. It did get better though.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
It was a fabulous to attend. Atmosphere was great even if the arena could have used more GT fans. Students were FABULOUS! Indiana fans seemed confident early but that faded as we asserted control in the second half.

Refs were really blind on a couple of calls. That bothered me. FT shooting in the first half? Why? Much better in second half, so I forgive them ,BUT we left at least 2 points on the line early (went 5-10 when going 7-10 was a reasonable expectation).

Looked to me like Indiana really wasn't willing to do the hard work on defense. They did not clog the middle as much as ACC teams learned to do against us. We really did not shoot all that well from outside, but we managed to get inside more than we have in a month, so our stats look better. (To be fair, Q's threes did help.)

Really hope we get another home game. Go Belmont!

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Indiana was lazy and let us dictate style most of the game. Defensively they broke down much more often than we're accustomed to. They are good at forcing turnovers and have size inside, and they could turn it on especially by the 3 if opponents let up focus or get discouraged, but that's just not what we do.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
IU was hurt by a lot of things that bothered teams we played the first time around this year in conf play. Backdoor action and hard cuts led to a lot of baskets for us - this hurt UNC, FSU, @NCSU, and plenty of others this year. Obviously Q shooting the ball well was helpful too, but our offense is tough to defend if you're not well-prepared, which I'm sure was tough to be given less than 2 days notice for IU.

We defended extremely well. The one thing I will say is we struggled rebounding (specifically defensively) out of the zone. 11 opponent offensive rebounds is right on our season average, which is good for around 300th in the country. I understand our defensive efficiency has been excellent this year, but we're not good enough to give teams 11 second chances a night.

Great win, will watch the Georgia game with some vested interest tonight.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
IU was hurt by a lot of things that bothered teams we played the first time around this year in conf play. Backdoor action and hard cuts led to a lot of baskets for us - this hurt UNC, FSU, @NCSU, and plenty of others this year. Obviously Q shooting the ball well was helpful too, but our offense is tough to defend if you're not well-prepared, which I'm sure was tough to be given less than 2 days notice for IU.

We defended extremely well. The one thing I will say is we struggled rebounding (specifically defensively) out of the zone. 11 opponent offensive rebounds is right on our season average, which is good for around 300th in the country. I understand our defensive efficiency has been excellent this year, but we're not good enough to give teams 11 second chances a night.

Hopefully Belmont kicks the Dwags around:cool:

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, Crean and Gregory are extremely close friends - have been since there were on izzo's staff together, so not surprised by the love shown Gregory by Crean.

Great atmosphere last night. Students were fantastic. I just imagine what it can be if Pastner can get it going and we start having sell outs of GT fans in the building.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer

IU had some very good offensive rebounding numbers for the season. That is one of their strengths. It doesn't excuse us from not keeping them off the glass, but it does help to explain it.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
It was a fabulous to attend. Atmosphere was great even if the arena could have used more GT fans. Students were FABULOUS! Indiana fans seemed confident early but that faded as we asserted control in the second half.

Refs were really blind on a couple of calls. That bothered me. FT shooting in the first half? Why? Much better in second half, so I forgive them ,BUT we left at least 2 points on the line early (went 5-10 when going 7-10 was a reasonable expectation).

Looked to me like Indiana really wasn't willing to do the hard work on defense. They did not clog the middle as much as ACC teams learned to do against us. We really did not shoot all that well from outside, but we managed to get inside more than we have in a month, so our stats look better. (To be fair, Q's threes did help.)

Really hope we get another home game. Go Belmont!

I thought we shot the ball fairly well from the outside, although I can't find a shot chart to back that up. Maybe it's just a relative thing for me. We were 7-19 overall from 3pt range. I thought in the second half when it got close we were helped greatly on several occasions with fast break baskets off steals or in transition. Some of that was us, some of that was them, and some of it was just the way the ball bounced.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just as an FYI - here are the attendance figures for each NIT yesterday as well as the opponent and size of arena. GT had by far the best turnout both in terms of butts in seats and in percentage of arena filled

GT - 5,533/8,600 Indiana - W
Ill - 4,719/17,200 Valpo - W
Utah - 4,097/15,000 Boise St - L
AL - 4,041/15,383 Richmond - L
Col St - 2,836/8,745 Charleston - W
Clem 2,785/9,000 Oakland - L
Mommouth 1,672/4,100 Ole Miss - L
Cal - 1,771/11,877 CS Baskersfield - L