Film Study GT Def Breakdown vs. Clemson

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
Thanks for the breakdown. Looked like a few missed stunts too on the broken plays.

I'm sort of wondering whether we should move one of our safeties to LB. It seems like their eyes and feet get into better position than quite a few of the LBs. I'd love to see KO at LB, but I think he wants to set himself up as a big S/nickel in the NFL.

I'll say I'm encouraged by what I saw out of BJS. He still looked pretty hesitant during the spring game, but looked like our best LB out there.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I'm no expert, but boy it looked like LB was not our strong suit last Thursday. A few times it looks like bad eyes, taking the wrong first step (or guessing) and getting caught up in the flow and out of position.

Thanks IBB!

Animal02

Banned
Only did 1st Half and 1st drive

Some good and some bad.

Imo, this should should've been a 31-14 game instead 52-14 if we were decent at run fits

DL was ok. Imo wasn't manhandled by one of the better OL but could've been more disruptive
Pass rush was bad on both blitzes and winning 1 on 1s
LB was ok at times but mostly below average
Secondary was solid in tackling and coverage

Good thing is these are all correctable mistakes and I look for a better showing vs USF

I am not a "defensive" guy so I don't notice as much of the nuances...but I was pleasantly surprised at the overall performance and increased aggressiveness. Hope that continues on a upward path over the season

rodandanga

Jolly Good Fellow
The touchdown by Lawrence was a version of the triple. The first read was the DE on a standard zone read play, the 2nd was the extra man backside, that man played the bubble and Lawrence kept it instead of throwing the bubble. Clemson has used that play very often, and was a great call against what looks like us playing man. Curry with the awful eyes.

Last edited:

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
It is so much easier to see the mistakes in slow motion and when you are not on the field. Great breakdown, and I like the way you stay positive.

That's very true but I think the bigger point is that people aren't covering or filling their basic slots. Filling YOUR role is a must and then you can react from there. If you are a contain rusher, you contain first then react to the scramble. If you are a run blitz to the A gap, you blitz the A gap then cover the flat.

Animal02

Banned
When you have an OL like Clemson and a RB like Etienne, mistakes are bound to happen on the defensive side. Players have to hedge to overcome the talent differential. When that happens a gap doesn't get covered. Etienne doesn't need much.
Agree....TEch would have had to play a flawless game to have a chance.......that or Clemp developing food poisoning from their pre game meal ;)

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
In the recent cgc press talk where he discussed " the big scoring / yardage plays ( small number of plays that gave the most yards) , he said they all got in a room, qued up the plays. They went over each of the plays and counted / rated each player doing his assignment. Then they got to the individuals that had made an error. He said we stressed that the errors need to be fixed but we also stressed TO ALL TRUST YOUR BROTHERS and keep doing your jobs right. Do not try to do 2 jobs. He added those errors that might be 12 yds for a regular team will be 80 yds for clemson.
I like the concept of group meeting to point negatives the negative and then move forward.

I really disliked it when supervisors brought up the same negative over and over. We had them stop or we removed them .

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes ice, I recall watching film and one of the coaches we get angrier and angrier each time a poor play was rewound. It was like he thought you were making the same mistake over and over again. To learn, a player can screw up, just don't make the same mistake twice.

I can laugh now but not funny back in the day.

slugboy

Staff member
Guyton, Wheeler, Kamichael Hall, Daryl Smith, Key Fox, and more all between 2000-2008.

Griffin played then too.

It wasn’t that far back when our DL was solid and our linebackers were game changers

Edit: I see UgaBlows beat me to the draw

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk