Film Study GT Def Breakdown vs. Clemson

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Only did 1st Half and 1st drive

Some good and some bad.

Imo, this should should've been a 31-14 game instead 52-14 if we were decent at run fits

DL was ok. Imo wasn't manhandled by one of the better OL but could've been more disruptive
Pass rush was bad on both blitzes and winning 1 on 1s
LB was ok at times but mostly below average
Secondary was solid in tackling and coverage

Good thing is these are all correctable mistakes and I look for a better showing vs USF

Last edited:

Deleted member 2897

Some good and some bad.

Imo, this should should've been a 31-14 game instead 52-14 if we were decent at run fits

DL was ok. Imo was manhandled by one of the better DL but could've been more disruptive

Good thing is these are all correctable mistakes and I look for a better showing vs USF

I was thinking they should’ve had more like 31 points, simply because we turned the ball over three times inside of our own red zone. I saw a lot of good things... and I felt like I saw some bad things that weren’t too bad, but simply exacerbated because of who our opponent was. I will be very interested to watch our defense this weekend!

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck

Some good and some bad.

DL was ok. Imo was manhandled by one of the better DL but could've been more disruptive

Awesome, thanks for this, as always. Look forward to watching your breakdown this evening.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer

Could you expound on this? I was happy with their play but I don't have the expertise that you have for sure. What are some things that they did wrong or could improve on?

I honestly felt they played well on all but a few plays.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Could you expound on this? I was happy with their play but I don't have the expertise that you have for sure. What are some things that they did wrong or could improve on?

I honestly felt they played well on all but a few plays.

Kinda the same bad habits from last year. Bad eyes & run fits and this was just the 1st half. 21 of the 35 points were simply do to bad run fits

bos

Helluva Engineer
IMO LBers had the worst game of any defensive unit. Collins kept playing different guys there. If you pay attention to them, you'll see they had trouble reading plays all night. David Curry in particular did a poor job taking the right angles, was slow to react, and didn't fill up running lanes. If he made the play, it was usually from behind after a 10 yard pick up. He should have had at least 10 tackles, not 5.

Great vocal leader and hard worker, but I think he's gotten too slow as he added weight. He was much faster early in his career and before the injury.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
defensively to me less about manhandled and more about mental improvements....i think too this coulda have been a real game at half for sure.

but we need improvement from
Qb 1
giphy.gif

Qb 2
giphy.gif

qb3 is like
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

bos

Helluva Engineer
Didn't quite stand out, but didn't make any mistakes either. He looks natural at LBer, which is good.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I'm not an expert, but it is my opinion linebacker is our #1 weakness. I hope this comes out right, but we need to play downhill. We seem to get lost in the crowd when we should be busting the play up. We don't seem to be able to shed blocks especially when we are blitzing. We are not consistent. I truly believe our linebackers are trying their best, but its been a long time since we've had a dominate linebacker.

slugboy

Staff member
I got to look at some of it. Secondary looked good in the part I've seen so far.
I'll have to look at the QB option into the end zone after the muffed punt--I'm not sure who should have covered Lawrence.
This looks really good.

bos

Helluva Engineer
I got to look at some of it. Secondary looked good in the part I've seen so far.
I'll have to look at the QB option into the end zone after the muffed punt--I'm not sure who should have covered Lawrence.
This looks really good.

Just another missed read by aforementioned David Curry. Even if he made the right read, he would have tackled the RB close to the end zone.

slugboy

Staff member
Start at 5:08. It’s a facepalm play
Looks like we have a 4-3. Safeties are split right and left, with the one on the right blitzing. Corners in tight coverage. I can't see the numbers. The linebacker on the left side gets completely blocked. Lawrence pulls the ball on the RB option, and the left side DE comes in to tackle the RB. Left side safety (not sure if SS or FS, but doesn't really matter as far as I can tell) goes for the slot receiver. There's a pocket but there's contain on the right side. Blitzing safety gets turned out. Curry and the right LB sweep right, basically blocking themselves--nothing is going that way. Lawrence reads run, turns up to avoid the safety, and follows his blocker into the end zone.
I'm wondering if there was a pass option here. The tight end blocks the linebacker out of the gate--never a thought of running a route. Takes him clear into the end zone. He engages about 2 yards downfield.