gt @ clemson

• Highlight

Yellow Jackets Head to Littlejohn

MIAMI, FL – DECEMBER 01: James Banks III #1 of the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets celebrates with Michael Devoe #0 against the St. John’s Red Storm during the HoopHall Miami Invitational at American Airlines Arena on December 1, 2018 in Miami, Florida. (Photo by Michael Reaves/Getty Images)

At 10-6 (2-1), some might consider Georgia Tech to be the surprise of the ACC. They are a couple of free throws and layups away from being 11-5 (3-0). Coming off of an impressive win at the Carrier Dome, Josh Pastner’s feisty bunch head to Clemson on Wednesday. Littlejohn Coliseum has not been friendly to Georgia Tech over the years, the last win coming in 2005.

The Tigers are led by longtime coach Brad Brownell, who has a shiny new contract extension. He is 159-119 overall and 67-76 in league play during his tenure.

Clemson 10-6 (0-3) came into the season with high expectations after a sweet 16 appearance in 2017-18. They eventually fell in the dance to Kansas but were impressive in the loss. Gabe Devoe and D’onte Grantham are long gone, but Marcquise Reed, Shelton Mitchell and Eli Thomas remain. Reed, an all-ACC guard is a stud both offensively and defensively, playing the passing lanes aggressively leading to easy buckets. Thomas, who suffered a foot injury in the preseason, came into the season a little out of shape but has still been effective. He is averaging a career high in points at 13.2, but his rebounding and block numbers are both down from last year.

Shelton Mitchell has been the most disappointing of the trio. The historically steady guard is posting lower than expected numbers across the board following a very productive junior campaign. In conference play so far he’s averaged just 7.0 points and 2.0 assists in over 28 minutes per game. His 29% from deep and 24% overall are by far career lows.

While the Tigers’ Kenpom number is still a respectable 47, their best wins are Lipscomb at home and Georgia on a neutral floor. Those are not exactly needle movers, though Lipscomb is a tournament team. The biggest difference from last year to this year can be boiled down to turnovers and shooting. Clemson’s turnover rate is nearly 21%, up from 17.5% last year, ranking 269th in the nation. Last season, the Tigers shot 36.6% from deep; this year only 30.6%.

If you look at individual match-ups, you would give Clemson the edge all day. Reed, Thomas and Mitchell are household names to any ACC fan who pays attention, but the on-court performance hasn’t quite been there this year. Combine that with the fact that Brad Brownell never knows what he will get out of sophomore forward Aamir Simms and it is difficult to trust the Tigers regardless of venue. In their three conference losses this year they have averaged a dreadful 54.7 ppg.

I’m going with the good guys here. Georgia Tech is long past due to get a win at Littlejohn. Jose Alvarado and Mike Devoe have been very good lately outside of Devoe’s shooting woes. Coach Pastner shortened the rotation against Syracuse and the results were impressive. Trusting a Tech team on the road is always shaky, especially after they just landed a big road win, but I like our coaching and I like our guards. Keep the rotation short, don’t let Reed take over the game and we get out of town with a W.

Last edited:

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
It is up to 7 now. The betting public loves the Tigers. They must have seen our record there.

I just got in at +8.5, feeling pretty good about that. Hopefully we can overcome the LJ curse, as others have said we are definitely overdue.

Deleted member 2897

This is the key to me...how hard does Clemson play tonight? With their season virtually on the line, I expect them to come out with their hair on fire.

It will be really important to match their intensity early on. If we come in flat (which I fear), then it could get away early if Clemson is in back against the wall mode.

Personally, I'm hoping to see us come out and play another good game...clean up the turnovers (especially the unforced ones), knock down a few three's and compete.

We do that and there is definitely a chance to win, but it will take a strong effort from us.

End the Littlejohnson curse!

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
We need to find as way to break the little John curse. I've seen quiet few good tech teams go there and lay an egg.

This was my thought, historically we haven't played well at Little John ... but, as has been said this is a young team and maybe history won't matter this time around.
I also think this is a crucial point in the season in terms of which way the remainder of the season plays out.
Win 2 of the next 3 and it will be a huge confidence booster ...

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm excited about tonight's game, mainly because this will be a great gauge on how mature we are as a team and how good a job the coaches did managing the locker room after a big road win. I'm fully expecting to get Clemson's best effort - this is a must-win game for them. Not only are they 0-3 in the league, but our game tonight is followed by trips to Tallahassee and Raleigh. If they lose tonight, it's likely they're at 0-6 in the league and all but out of the tournament conversation before January is over.

Us and Clemson are pretty similar - defense is the calling card for both squads (#10 and #24 KenPom respectively) and neither team is dying to get into a track meet. Brownell doesn't like to play a ton of guys, and neither does Pastner. Their guard play is what scares me the most. Mitchell and Reed are both shooting about 10% worse from 3 this year than they did on average coming into this season - i.e. they're better shooters than they've shown this year. We're going to have to do a really good job of closing out tonight to make sure that trend continues. I'll be interested to see what we do defensively - I expect us to come out in our 1-3-1 again, but if Clemson, esp Reed and Mitchell, get hot, how will Pastner adjust?

Looking for a close game somewhere in the low 60's. Hope to be coming home on Saturday with a chance to move to 4-1.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Clemson is 0-3 in the conference, so you know they are hungry for a win, especially at home. Also, we are coming off a big win, so my expectation is a big letdown loss. But I am still excited to watch and I will still be rooting for a win! Go Jackets!