gt @ clemson

• Highlight

Yellow Jackets Head to Littlejohn

MIAMI, FL – DECEMBER 01: James Banks III #1 of the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets celebrates with Michael Devoe #0 against the St. John’s Red Storm during the HoopHall Miami Invitational at American Airlines Arena on December 1, 2018 in Miami, Florida. (Photo by Michael Reaves/Getty Images)

At 10-6 (2-1), some might consider Georgia Tech to be the surprise of the ACC. They are a couple of free throws and layups away from being 11-5 (3-0). Coming off of an impressive win at the Carrier Dome, Josh Pastner’s feisty bunch head to Clemson on Wednesday. Littlejohn Coliseum has not been friendly to Georgia Tech over the years, the last win coming in 2005.

The Tigers are led by longtime coach Brad Brownell, who has a shiny new contract extension. He is 159-119 overall and 67-76 in league play during his tenure.

Clemson 10-6 (0-3) came into the season with high expectations after a sweet 16 appearance in 2017-18. They eventually fell in the dance to Kansas but were impressive in the loss. Gabe Devoe and D’onte Grantham are long gone, but Marcquise Reed, Shelton Mitchell and Eli Thomas remain. Reed, an all-ACC guard is a stud both offensively and defensively, playing the passing lanes aggressively leading to easy buckets. Thomas, who suffered a foot injury in the preseason, came into the season a little out of shape but has still been effective. He is averaging a career high in points at 13.2, but his rebounding and block numbers are both down from last year.

Shelton Mitchell has been the most disappointing of the trio. The historically steady guard is posting lower than expected numbers across the board following a very productive junior campaign. In conference play so far he’s averaged just 7.0 points and 2.0 assists in over 28 minutes per game. His 29% from deep and 24% overall are by far career lows.

While the Tigers’ Kenpom number is still a respectable 47, their best wins are Lipscomb at home and Georgia on a neutral floor. Those are not exactly needle movers, though Lipscomb is a tournament team. The biggest difference from last year to this year can be boiled down to turnovers and shooting. Clemson’s turnover rate is nearly 21%, up from 17.5% last year, ranking 269th in the nation. Last season, the Tigers shot 36.6% from deep; this year only 30.6%.

If you look at individual match-ups, you would give Clemson the edge all day. Reed, Thomas and Mitchell are household names to any ACC fan who pays attention, but the on-court performance hasn’t quite been there this year. Combine that with the fact that Brad Brownell never knows what he will get out of sophomore forward Aamir Simms and it is difficult to trust the Tigers regardless of venue. In their three conference losses this year they have averaged a dreadful 54.7 ppg.

I’m going with the good guys here. Georgia Tech is long past due to get a win at Littlejohn. Jose Alvarado and Mike Devoe have been very good lately outside of Devoe’s shooting woes. Coach Pastner shortened the rotation against Syracuse and the results were impressive. Trusting a Tech team on the road is always shaky, especially after they just landed a big road win, but I like our coaching and I like our guards. Keep the rotation short, don’t let Reed take over the game and we get out of town with a W.

Last edited:

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
They haven’t done much well lately. Reed is still a stud but Mitchell has regressed. Simms is up and down. I like us in this game. They have struggled mightily on offense lately.

Got your Contributing Writer tag and now phoning it in.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
They haven’t done much well lately. Reed is still a stud but Mitchell has regressed. Simms is up and down. I like us in this game. They have struggled mightily on offense lately.

It’s all about the motor! If we play with the same level of energy and focus, we should get the W!

Every game is important but this is a big one for us. String together a few conference wins and ignite a run!!

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
I think we can take relentless defense as a given at this point. If we do nothing else we defend and make shooting tough.

I think the real key to winning is just having guys be confident and pull the trigger. Even against 'Cuse I saw a few times where I was thinking "shoot it that's you" and then there'd be an extra pass.

If we can have Haywood shoot well, and Alvarado hit his open 3's, it just opens up the floor so much for everyone else. Haywood should keep working on his handle cause man he sees the floor so well and passes really well. Nice to have an extra distributor.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
New Article Posted
Yellow Jackets Head to Littlejohn

MIAMI, FL – DECEMBER 01: James Banks III #1 of the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets celebrates with Michael Devoe #0 against the St. John’s Red Storm during the HoopHall Miami Invitational at American Airlines Arena on December 1, 2018 in Miami, Florida. (Photo by Michael Reaves/Getty Images) At 10-6 (2-1), some might consider Georgia Tech to be the surprise of the ACC. They are a couple of free throws and layups away from being 11-5 (3-0). Coming off of an ...

Click here to read more ...
Last edited:

Deleted member 2897

We’re a couple layups away from 12-4.

This has the potential to be a 56-52 type of game.

Every single game is super critical - we have to find ways to win games like this one.

GT_EE78

Banned
Elijah Thomas can be foul prone. If we can get him in foul trouble that would take out the bulk of their interior scoring punch and best rebounder.
I'm expecting a close game that we can win. Every road win is huge.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
winnable game, though I wouldn't give GT more than about a 35% chance.

i expect Clemson to be playing full out this game. They are 0-3 in the ACC (though if you start out @Duke, @Syr, UVA) anything better than 0-3 is exceeding expectations.
if they lose to GT they are staring 0-6 in the face. This is a very experienced team. Their starting 5 is 2 grad students and 2 Sr along with a SO. This was expected to be an NCAA team and if they lose Wednesday any chance of that is basically over.

Reed is the big man for them. Avg almost 20 ppg. Really good at getting into the lane and getting buckets and drawing fouls.
Thomas gives them good production in the post. Mitchell has been a disappointment to this point. They have not shot the ball well from outside this year - have really missed Gave Devoe there.

Really hoping we pull a win out, so many nightmares of games at Littlejohn. Big game for Brownell, after the Sweet Sixteen last year could really use an NCAA follow-up given next year is likely to be pretty bad with all the personnel losses they are going to have after this season.

slugboy

Staff member
I thought you said we were favored for a sec, and did a double take.

Over at Kenpom, Clemson is #47, we’re #62, Syracuse is #35, and Northwestern is #60. So, matchups aside, they’ve had a better season than us so far, are better than teams that have beaten us, and are worse than teams we’ve beaten.

It’s Wednesday, it’s the second road game in a row, but they suffered under UVA’s defense the other day. Maybe our defense will smother them too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
winnable game, though I wouldn't give GT more than about a 35% chance.

i expect Clemson to be playing full out this game. They are 0-3 in the ACC (though if you start out @Duke, @Syr, UVA) anything better than 0-3 is exceeding expectations.
if they lose to GT they are staring 0-6 in the face. This is a very experienced team. Their starting 5 is 2 grad students and 2 Sr along with a SO. This was expected to be an NCAA team and if they lose Wednesday any chance of that is basically over.

This is the key to me...how hard does Clemson play tonight? With their season virtually on the line, I expect them to come out with their hair on fire.

It will be really important to match their intensity early on. If we come in flat (which I fear), then it could get away early if Clemson is in back against the wall mode.

Personally, I'm hoping to see us come out and play another good game...clean up the turnovers (especially the unforced ones), knock down a few three's and compete.

We do that and there is definitely a chance to win, but it will take a strong effort from us.