GT - Clemson 2013 Game Film

Eric

Retired Co-Founder

About to start watching to see what they did to slow us down early on last year...and get a guess at what we see this weekend.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Things started bad from the start for us...Started on our own 2 or 3 yardline...then on 3rd down Days slipped when he had a chance to get the first still...3 and out.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Second series...started out with a smoke to Summers...bad pass and Summers had to put a knee on the ground to catch it...2nd and 11..missed block on the edge gets Vad blown up..3rd and 15 and we line with a odd formation...we have the center and to his right we have 3 lineman instead of just a RG and RT...and instead of a LG and LT we only have one person over there and it's Darren Waller...who is lined up blocking Vic Beasley..Beasley is standing up and blows by Waller and hits Vad as he is throwing...I don't understand this play at all...would love to hear @Boomergump @stylee etc comment on what was going on with that play.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
So glad tajh Boyd and number 1 are gone. Some of those throws and catches were rediculous. They didn't really stop us in the second half but they were making plays all over the place.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Im rambling here

third series...come out in a normal formation...Clemson has 4 DL and then has the two OLB's lined up right behind the DE's...Anthony the MLB is 8 yards deep....first play the right OLB blitzs the gap and Vad keeps instead of handing off to Sims (who cuts the blitzing LB) we have numbers going to the edge like we want but RT Chris Robers totally misses on his cut block on the MLB and blows up Vad...if we blocked the MLB and Vad made the right read then Godhigh had a first down run...instead its second and 11...we run a counter and the chance is there for Vad to have a big run...but DT Grady Jarrett makes a great play by bouncing off a cut block from Finch and flying to the edge to stop Vad....3rd and 6 now and we call a pass...David Sims tries to cut block DE Shaq Lawson but whiffs bad and Vad is sacked.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Now were down 13-0 and the special teams makes another error...Sims brings the ball out and makes it to the 9.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
First play...CB shows blitz and does indeed blitz..Vad hits Waller for a first down.

13:52 left in the 2nd quarter...that was our only first down of the game so far.

counter option...The pitch is there (likely wouldnt have got much) but Vad just eats it.

2 and 9...running the triple to the right...Grady Jarrett is at the QB at the same time the B Back is...blows up the B Back but Vad keeps it and goes to the outside where he pitches for basically a yard...our OL didnt get to the second level and they had guys everywhere...well defended. I have noticed that whatever way we run the play to then that S will blitz.

3 and 8 we set up a screen to Waller that gets 6...

4th and 2 and we punt.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
It's now 20-0.

1st play is a dive that doesnt get much.

2 and 7..smoke to Smelter that he drops.

3 and 7...QB draw gets a first!

1 and 10...MLB Anthony blows up the B back.

2 and 9...play action pass...hits Godhigh for a 30 something yard gain.

1 and 10...Vad makes a nice read and somehow gets the pitch to Godhigh who takes it to the 1.

1 and goal...Sims in for the TD.

Last edited:

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
27-7 5:30 till half.

1 and 1o...looked like a B Back counter option...Vad was hesitant but finally pitched somehow Laskey caught the ball, could have been fumble...Godhigh missed his block and the play was blown up...DB made a nice play avoiding Godhigh.

2 and 10....option pass play and had Deon Hill WIDE OPEN (look at #9 Zenon going nuts on the sideline) Vad threw it away due to two DL closing in...broke down a tad early or it would have been there.

3 and 10...hits Summers on a comeback route...great catch.

1 and 1o....false start Will Jackson.

1 and 15...rocket toss to Perkins..gets a yard..OLB is clean getting to him. DL not letting OL get to second level..ruled Perkins fumbled and Clemson ball.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Last drive before half...2:19 left.

1 and 1o...Incomplete..Vad missed Godhigh.

2 and 10....Vad throws way over Smelter.

3 and 10....Vad runs and gets 8.

4th and 2...we go to punt but Clemson gets a flag.

1 and 10....We try to run but Grady Jarrett blows by Braun and takes Vad down.

2 and 11...QB draw gets a few.

3 and 7...triple and a handoff to the B Back who gets a first.

1 and 10...Summers makes a great catch.

1 and 10...big pass to Godhigh down to the Clemson 15.

1 and 10...Vad pass to Godhigh in the endzone gits off the tips of his hands...so close.

Butker field goal.

27-10 at half.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Sorry for the ramblings...just wanted to write some things down.

We missed so many chances and our OL struggled...Grady Jarrett killed us...Smelter had his worst game.

bartoma

Jolly Good Fellow
Biggest change between this game and what we'll see Saturday is QB play - ours will be infinitely better, and theirs will be marginally worse...

Next biggest difference will be our offensive line play... Much better this year, especially with the depth we have...

I agree with others - the team who wins the turnover battle wins this game...

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Eric - I like your strategy here: You show off Clemson game film from last year to build their confidence. It's crazy. Our offense looks nothing like this. It's unbelievable to watch this game and see how different (bad) we were last year...

/

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Biggest change between this game and what we'll see Saturday is QB play - ours will be infinitely better, and theirs will be marginally worse...

If you remember, Boyd was dropping balls in on a dime from 50 yards in this game. Our defensive coverage was good, and he killed us. I can't imagine their Freshman QB playing anywhere near as well as Boyd did on this night. This may have been Boyd's best game in Orange.

/

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Eric - I like your strategy here: You show off Clemson game film from last year to build their confidence. It's crazy. Our offense looks nothing like this. It's unbelievable to watch this game and see how different (bad) we were last year...

/

It really is... what a slap of reality in the face it was to see this.

The offense as a whole has taken so many strides...that half I just watched showed a hesitant offense that looked slow.

I think it all starts at the Qb spot really.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The biggest thing I remember from this game (without watching) was Climpsum hitting (I think) every deep shot they took in the contest. Am I right about that? If not, it isn't far off. That kind of thing almost never happens.

stevo0718

Georgia Tech Fan
If you remember, Boyd was dropping balls in on a dime from 50 yards in this game. Our defensive coverage was good, and he killed us. I can't imagine their Freshman QB playing anywhere near as well as Boyd did on this night. This may have been Boyd's best game in Orange.

/
That's my memory if this game. Boyd was making perfect passes with good coverage. Like in stride, over the shoulder, corner of the endzone throws.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
@Eric--thanks for posting this; I'll have to review it when I get some time later today. My primary recollection from that game (now fuzzy) was how ill-served we were by ST play in the 1st quarter. We started every drive with lousy field position, Clemson with excellent position, and as a result we were down three TDs before our offense could find its mojo.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
The biggest thing I remember from this game (without watching) was Climpsum hitting (I think) every deep shot they took in the contest. Am I right about that? If not, it isn't far off. That kind of thing almost never happens.
And it's not like we did not have a man in coverage. We were not getting burnt. They were just making plays. Get behind a few scores in that stadium and it's hard to dig out of a hole.