Gt Basktball marketing better than football marketing?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
For what it's worth, in basketball we were favored vs. ND and @ Pitt.
Watch gt vs uva on nbc - hope not on national tv
Uva is amazing. They can dribble right down the middle for un contested layups. Do they put out a force field to keep any one from defending the dribbler.
Well fans seem like they care and that gives us hope.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
The powers that be believe we are a basketball school. Our last AD was hired specifically because he was a basketball guy, he had zero big time FB experience. We put $50million into renovating the pavilion about 10 years ago and we have top notch facilities/gyms for the team. We have also put an insane amount of money into coaching salaries over there. It is what it is. The funny thing is the basketball team gets very little return on their investment considering the awful schools we've lost to this year.
You do realize that TStan played football here right? Whatever mistakes have been made in the past will be set right I believe.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I’m more of a football guy, but in all honesty we have way more upside as a basketball school.

In the marketing/brand realm we have been “cool” in basketball at least three separate times in my lifetime. Early 90s, Marbury, and then early Hewitt. Not surprisingly those eras correspond to five star players being on campus.

We’ve not achieved “cool” as a football program that I recall.

We were verging on cool when Joe Ham was here and Donnan was coaching the dwags to mediocrity. But still, the gaggers were way too dominant statewide in terms of football fans, even then, and the gap has grown wider since, unfortunately. There is definitely a big opening for us in basketball, though, so I agree.