Gt Basktball marketing better than football marketing?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I place this here out of curiosity as we live in florida and only attend football games.
What makes me wonder is the following:
1. All the B ball games have a fan appreciation item advertised on gtaa to our phone. Bobble heads , c bosh replica jerseys, 2$ dogs..... The 3/3 game has free bj Respect your Elder tee shirts.
After seeing this I wondered if i missed something on our football side.?

2. My marketing mind went back to the gt game that we honored Pat Swilling along with some other tech types from years past. This guy brought great honor to our football program in many ways . He was All american, All Pro and NFL defensive Player of The year and Nfl hall of fame. His name is written in the bds ring of honor and is one our best players in history.

The biggest honor he gave gt football was his sons returning to gt to follow in his foot steps to help gt to national football prominence. Tre is a relentless cheer leader, Having NEVER played lb in hs Bjs played day one at lb to follow his dads foot steps. First or second full game he was acc lb of week.

Specifically by example
Basketball BJ ELDER TEE SHIRT
AND
Football. All world gt football PAT SWILLING = ?? Bobble heads for all youth????

What have we been doing at football games for first entry?? Wife and i go in at n w gate and we are right behind some player family types (flea etc) and have seen zero?????

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
The powers that be believe we are a basketball school. Our last AD was hired specifically because he was a basketball guy, he had zero big time FB experience. We put $50million into renovating the pavilion about 10 years ago and we have top notch facilities/gyms for the team. We have also put an insane amount of money into coaching salaries over there. It is what it is. The funny thing is the basketball team gets very little return on their investment considering the awful schools we've lost to this year.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The powers that be believe we are a basketball school. Our last AD was hired specifically because he was a basketball guy, he had zero big time FB experience. We put $50million into renovating the pavilion about 10 years ago and we have top notch facilities/gyms for the team. We have also put an insane amount of money into coaching salaries over there. It is what it is. The funny thing is the basketball team gets very little return on their investment considering the awful schools we've lost to this year.
Hard to know what your getting at as to the thread title.

Sure seems like u would want fan appreciation stuff at football 2 ( especially when peolle like pat swilling are honored at half time??

More than marketing.

Hope tstan can removes the bad blood between the they basketball fans and th e we fooitball fans.

Wow thw bb!

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I was just pointing out that we haven't had anywhere near the support for football that we have had for basketball which explains why there is so little thought put into fan engagement or marketing on the football side. The people who are in charge love the bball program but really see the football program as an afterthought.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
It's really all about who the coach is. Pastner gets out and encourages fan support with students as well as sidewalk fans. He also wins some games that Tech didn't expect to win, ie ND, Miami, Pitt. Those kind of wins get attention. When is the last time PJ got out to ask people to come to a football game and support the players? Let me answer that question: never!

MidtownJacket

Staff member
It's really all about who the coach is. Pastner gets out and encourages fan support with students as well as sidewalk fans. He also wins some games that Tech didn't expect to win, ie ND, Miami, Pitt. Those kind of wins get attention. When is the last time PJ got out to ask people to come to a football game and support the players? Let me answer that question: never!

Didn’t he do a bunch of stuff with the Greek houses over the last few years?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They have thrown t-shirts into the crowd at some football games, and they have had shakers in the seats before the games.....FOR THE STUDENTS ONLY !!! Why not throw t-shirts into the crowd in the rest of the stadium, and why not have shakers in ALL the seats? It's little things like that that go a long way in treating the season ticket holders like they care about us.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

This. It's 100% because of coaching personality.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
For what it's worth, in basketball we were favored vs. ND and @ Pitt.

bigsands

Jolly Good Fellow
I live out of state, so rarely attend home games. Last game was the FSU whiteout blocked fg game - I was surprised that they didn't a corporate partner who would want to provide white shirts. The crowd was pretty whited out, but everyone loves free shirts no matter how thin/cheap they are. Shirts from that game would have had a strong shelf life after the big win.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m more of a football guy, but in all honesty we have way more upside as a basketball school.

In the marketing/brand realm we have been “cool” in basketball at least three separate times in my lifetime. Early 90s, Marbury, and then early Hewitt. Not surprisingly those eras correspond to five star players being on campus.

We’ve not achieved “cool” as a football program that I recall.