GT Athletics Budget

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
A couple of key points.

The Georgia Tech Athletic Association saw its annual budget grow by more than $22 million from fiscal year 2023 to FY2024 and is projecting that budget to increase almost another $10 million for FY2025, according to documents obtained by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

“That’s a combined effort from donors, corporate partners, the institute continuing to support us and being aligned,” Tech athletic director J Batt told the AJC then. “Just continuing to innovate and find different ways to drive revenue and to grow our budget to the point where we’re competitive nationally in that space is important.”

The overall athletics budget for 2023 was a little more than $105 million and increased to nearly $128 million for 2024. It is expected to cross the $137 million threshold for 2025.

Distribution of funds from the ACC has been key. The league paid out nearly $42 million to Tech is 2023, whereas Tech now is expected to receive $48 million from the conference in 2025.

In 2024, Tech also saw a $3 million increase in ticket sales from 2023 and more than $9 million in investments and endowments. Tech’s largest expenditure from 2023 was personnel (nearly $10 million) and “general and administrative” (another almost $10 million).

Tech projects another increase in investments and endowments by another $4 million, $2 million more in ticket sales and more than $2 million in institutional support.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
"Distribution of funds from the ACC has been key. The league paid out nearly $42 million to Tech is 2023, whereas Tech now is expected to receive $48 million from the conference in 2025."

This is an important point to counter the kooks. For some reason the kooks seem to think that the ACC's payouts are basically fixed with no increases, but in actuality payouts to the conference and its members increase every year.

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
A couple of key points.

The Georgia Tech Athletic Association saw its annual budget grow by more than $22 million from fiscal year 2023 to FY2024 and is projecting that budget to increase almost another $10 million for FY2025, according to documents obtained by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

“That’s a combined effort from donors, corporate partners, the institute continuing to support us and being aligned,” Tech athletic director J Batt told the AJC then. “Just continuing to innovate and find different ways to drive revenue and to grow our budget to the point where we’re competitive nationally in that space is important.”

The overall athletics budget for 2023 was a little more than $105 million and increased to nearly $128 million for 2024. It is expected to cross the $137 million threshold for 2025.

Distribution of funds from the ACC has been key. The league paid out nearly $42 million to Tech is 2023, whereas Tech now is expected to receive $48 million from the conference in 2025.

In 2024, Tech also saw a $3 million increase in ticket sales from 2023 and more than $9 million in investments and endowments. Tech’s largest expenditure from 2023 was personnel (nearly $10 million) and “general and administrative” (another almost $10 million).

Tech projects another increase in investments and endowments by another $4 million, $2 million more in ticket sales and more than $2 million in institutional support.
GT Fans: "This is incredible news"
Also GT Fans: "How do I get club seats for free?"

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
"Distribution of funds from the ACC has been key. The league paid out nearly $42 million to Tech is 2023, whereas Tech now is expected to receive $48 million from the conference in 2025."

This is an important point to counter the kooks. For some reason the kooks seem to think that the ACC's payouts are basically fixed with no increases, but in actuality payouts to the conference and its members increase every year.
The ACC is basically a savings account at your local bank while the B1G and SEC are competitive high yield savings accounts. Choose for yourself where you want your money.

AugustaSwarm

Ramblin' Wreck

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Just read where Clemson is adding a student athletic fee for the first time. $150 per semester. We now have over 40,000 students. I'm all for adding this to graduate student's payments as well. $250 per semester, or $20 million annually? A lot of them are online, but could we get that pushed through?

devcon

Georgia Tech Fan
Just read where Clemson is adding a student athletic fee for the first time. $150 per semester. We now have over 40,000 students. I'm all for adding this to graduate student's payments as well. $250 per semester, or $20 million annually? A lot of them are online, but could we get that pushed through?
Tech already has a ~$150 student athletic fee. Graduate students as well.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer

The article I read said that Clemson was the last college in P5 (?) to institute a student athletic fee. I'd bump ours up and tell students that is the price of being in the P5 if we want to compete. If tickets are requiring $5,000 to $25,000 per seat, the students could do $150 or $300 per semester, right?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
The article I read said that Clemson was the last college in P5 (?) to institute a student athletic fee. I'd bump ours up and tell students that is the price of being in the P5 if we want to compete. If tickets are requiring $5,000 to $25,000 per seat, the students could do $150 or $300 per semester, right?
I really don’t think adding fees to students is a good way to garner their support. Students who like sports are more than likely going to be fans with or without the fees. Those who are on the fence, or who haven’t really grown up as sports fans would probably just be turned away if they started getting charged huge fees. You gotta remember our student body is comprised of a lot of people that aren’t your typical college football fan. Nearly 10% of our undergrad population is international, and plenty of our domestic students probably grew up not giving a rip about football or sports in general. IMO the best way to create and keep support from students is to keep the barrier of entry low, and try to encourage as much low cost participation as possible.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
This info is 4 years old so obviously gone up. For example, Ga. State is $680 per year. But a lot of these are smaller schools trying to play collegiate sports in today's world.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I really don’t think adding fees to students is a good way to garner their support. Students who like sports are more than likely going to be fans with or without the fees. Those who are on the fence, or who haven’t really grown up as sports fans would probably just be turned away if they started getting charged huge fees. You gotta remember our student body is comprised of a lot of people that aren’t your typical college football fan. Nearly 10% of our undergrad population is international, and plenty of our domestic students probably grew up not giving a rip about football or sports in general. IMO the best way to create and keep support from students is to keep the barrier of entry low, and try to encourage as much low cost participation as possible.

What does everyone say around here? That's the cost of doing business and we have to do these things in order to compete? ;) Not sure an extra $200 per year that is likely part of a student loan or scholarship would put students off from sports. But, maybe. :unsure:

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
What does everyone say around here? That's the cost of doing business and we have to do these things in order to compete? ;) Not sure an extra $200 per year that is likely part of a student loan or scholarship would put students off from sports. But, maybe. :unsure:
Not negative on charging a fee. Just wanted to point out virtually all schools do it and many are higher than GT. I just was amazed how high some of the schools actually were. If you have no interest in sports, I think parents and/or students might be less than thrilled. Since I am interested in sports and my kids are beyond college age, no complaints from me. :)

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Students aren’t on campus to finance athletic programs though. They’re on campus to further their education. Sports are supposed to be a fun escape, not some industry they’re responsible for funding. A couple hundred bucks is a lot of money for a college kid, especially in this economy. I think you’d find out pretty quick how displeased the student body would be over raised athletic fees.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Students aren’t on campus to finance athletic programs though. They’re on campus to further their education. Sports are supposed to be a fun escape, not some industry they’re responsible for funding. A couple hundred bucks is a lot of money for a college kid, especially in this economy. I think you’d find out pretty quick how displeased the student body would be over raised athletic fees.

Right, but every other major college program does it. As noted, Clemson is the last P5 school to do it. If we don't do it, we'll get left behind. If we want to play big boy football, we have to pay the price for it. (Isn't that how we do it here? :)unsure: ;) ) And to some degree, that is part of going to a P5 school. Investors in real estate look at P5 school status when comparing buying a student housing complex or a shopping center. They would much rather be in Auburn or Tuscaloosa or Clemson than in Troy or Rome, GA, Harrisonburg, VA or some other G5 school town.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Here's the chart from that article. Makes me think we could do $250-$400 without too much pushback.

View attachment 17037
A lot of those are small private schools. Most P4 schools are listed on that chart as $200 or less, with a lot of them at $0. We shouldn’t want or have to have students financing our athletic programs. I’d be willing to bet that the majority of the schools with the highest athletic fees for students receive the lowest donation amounts from alums. I mean just look at the chart. 50% or more of their revenue is paid by student fees. That’s not a feasible way to raise money, or a sustainable way to build a fanbase.

GT has a small, non-typical undergraduate population for a southern P4 school. If we’re serious about building a fanbase that’s well connected with the programs, getting and keeping the student body interested in sports is the only way to do it. Charging a bunch of money for athletic fees would do more harm than good IMO. As I said before, the best way to get and keep the students involved is to make it as cheap and easy as possible to do so. GT is supposed to be churning out all these millionaires, right? Doing everything possible to keep them invested in sports as students seems to me like it would have a much larger long-term benefit than weaseling a couple hundred bucks off them while they’re students. As I said before, that’s an easy way to turn kids off from athletics forever.