GT & ACC WBB 2021-2022

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I guess the strength of schedule is hurting us, particularly Auburn and Purdue?
Belmont, UConn., Ugaly and Cent. Mich., are the biggest wins?

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
GT/WF is on the ACCN next Sunday @6 pm. Jewel Spear scored 40 of the 90 pts. vs. ETSU in their last game. Definitely need to smother her, w/ a little “Love” or a lot of Lahtinen.
Wake has played absolutely nobody so far this season. They have played exactly one Power 5 school (Nebraska) and got blown out by 26. Their Strength of Schedule ranks 286. Agree about Spear. She averages about 20 per game while the next four score between 7.2 and 8.8.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
#12 Wake Forest
Head coach: Jen Hoover (11th season)
2020-21 record: 12-13 (8-10 in ACC)
Conference finish: 10th

Jewel Spear is a player to keep an eye on for the underwhelming Demon Deacons this upcoming season.

Spear recently finished representing Team USA at the FIBA U19 Basketball World Cup. She was one of the first nine players selected to the roster, and that shows some serious commitment from Team USA to its belief in her potential star power. Look for Spear to take a huge leap in her sophomore season but not for that individual talent to necessarily correlate to team success.

Senior forward Christina Morra and sophomore guard Jewel Spear represented the Demon Deacons on Wednesday, October 13, at the Atlantic Coast Conference Tipoff in Charlotte.

Spear had a historic start to her Wake Forest career earning 2021 ACC All-Freshman Team, ACC All-Academic Team and ACC All-Tournament Team honors in her rookie season in Winston-Salem. She holds the Wake Forest freshman record with 2.32 three-point makes per game.

Additionally, Spear tied the ACC Tournament record with seven three-point makes in a single game. Her 29 points in the win over North Carolina in the 2021 ACC Tournament is the highest total by a freshman in the Jen Hoover era.

Morra has been a mainstay on the low block for the Demon Deacons during her three seasons on campus. She has totaled 613 points in her career and has a career 53.7 percent shooter from the field.

In the Deacs 2021 NCAA Tournament game, she led the team with 18 points in the first round game against Oklahoma State.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
GT defeated ETSU, 65-42. WF got them, 90-78.
Which tells me, if we stop Spears(no way she gets 40 on us)and score 60, Tech should win by double-digits. Of course when the Tigggers w/out a lake had lost 26 of their last 27, I thought GT would blow them out of the gym by 30.

We can’t take any ACC team for granted or get overconfident on defense or in transition. 6 conference schools in the top 25, this week. Charity tosses, please!

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Funny how they fail to mention she played in three games this season before quitting the team after being benched in the second half of that game.....lots of talk about last season. I guess that part didn't fit the narrative. Didn't work out too well for Bolagun and Dixon when they left for greener pastures. Had they stayed and learned under Coach Nell I have to believe they would have fared much better. Will be interesting to see how it works out for McQueen.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
This is not concrete, so I don’t think it needs to be private since the article is linked above. Alabama under Coach Curry is running an uptempo offense, in which McQueen wanted. She thought we were going to run and gun 3’s this year.
Defense is first w/ GT. The front line is 6’2” and taller, which is not conducive to running or shooting long range unless it’s within the half-court offense. A source told me USC-East was filled up, and UNC didn’t fit her future goals.

As I’ve stated earlier, unless one of the two parties disclose that private conversation after game 3-nobody will know how far it went. It could have been, this is what is best for the team. The other side could have been adamant in wanting a green light other than what comes in transition off of a steal.

Tried to reach out to Bounce Nation, Palmetto 76ers AAU, and what the GT players knew but everything came up Coach and Player amicably parted ways.

Wishing Loyal all of the best in life, and a WNBA career if that’s meant to be.
Fired up for Tech getting Morgan, Boswell, Ines and Dunn, next year. In 2023, Melious could lead us into the promised land, should we get her a big or a couple of them. LeLe Love still has 2 1/2 years not including the coronageddon season she will be due. I see her potential to be All-ACC in the future.

Gtbb99

Georgia Tech Fan
This is not concrete, so I don’t think it needs to be private since the article is linked above. Alabama under Coach Curry is running an uptempo offense, in which McQueen wanted. She thought we were going to run and gun 3’s this year.
Defense is first w/ GT. The front line is 6’2” and taller, which is not conducive to running or shooting long range unless it’s within the half-court offense. A source told me USC-East was filled up, and UNC didn’t fit her future goals.

As I’ve stated earlier, unless one of the two parties disclose that private conversation after game 3-nobody will know how far it went. It could have been, this is what is best for the team. The other side could have been adamant in wanting a green light other than what comes in transition off of a steal.

Tried to reach out to Bounce Nation, Palmetto 76ers AAU, and what the GT players knew but everything came up Coach and Player amicably parted ways.

Wishing Loyal all of the best in life, and a WNBA career if that’s meant to be.
Fired up for Tech getting Morgan, Boswell, Ines and Dunn, next year. In 2023, Melious could lead us into the promised land, should we get her a big or a couple of them. LeLe Love still has 2 1/2 years not including the coronageddon season she will be due. I see her potential to be All-ACC in the future.
Melious is averaging a shade under 50 still after 5 games. Pretty amazing

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck

Almost looks like we made a trade! Both left after three games this season. Both have similar stats for the three games they played. We added a little more size and Bama got a little more speed. Hopefully it works out well for both teams.....but better for us!!