GT (+7) vs. Miss St.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The best teams we have faced this year (in my humble opinion) are in order: FSU, Georgia, Mississippi State, Clemson. We could beat any of these on a given day or we could lose to any of these on a given day. So far what we have seen is that winning proves nothing to the critics but losing will mean everything in the world to an SEC biased media.

mmbt0ne

Jolly Good Fellow
What are the SEC West's quality wins? Remember, we found out after rivalry week that wins over SEC East teams don't count for some reason.

Auburn going on the road to beat 9-3 K State (only other losses on the road to playoff contenders TCU and Baylor)
Ole Miss donkey stomping 11-2 Boise State
LSU beating B1G championship contender 10-3 Wisconsin
Alabama beating 7-5 West Virginia (granted, 4 of those losses were to top-12 teams)

What are the SEC-W's bad losses?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
i'm not confident that we will win, but i am very confident that our coaches and players give us a great chance to win

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
I think it will be a great challenge for our Defense. Last I checked MSU had the sec number 1 offense.... However we are going to move the ball and score points, Go look up the Yards per play of Miss ST and their total Defense. We will be facing a Defense that is slightly worse than FSU and about the same as Pitt.

I think we will hold the ball, do our usual 6-8 min long drives and if we can hold them to FG's or get a turnover or two, we win.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think it will be a great challenge for our Defense. Last I checked MSU had the sec number 1 offense.... However we are going to move the ball and score points, Go look up the Yards per play of Miss ST and their total Defense. We will be facing a Defense that is slightly worse than FSU and about the same as Pitt.

I think we will hold the ball, do our usual 6-8 min long drives and if we can hold them to FG's or get a turnover or two, we win.

Fwiw, the Yds/Play allowed comparison is still relative to the strength of opposition offenses. Looking at football outsiders, it seems that their D will be worse than CU and VPI but better than UVA.

We should be fine on O but need our D to do better. JHD will have to make a big difference on the DL, imo.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
Let's call this what it is going to be, another track meet. Our O is better than their O. Their D is better than our D. Both teams have time to prep both sides of the ball for the other. Our D will need to force turnovers or the score will be similar to the ACCCG...

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Let's call this what it is going to be, another track meet. Our O is better than their O. Their D is better than our D. Both teams have time to prep both sides of the ball for the other. Our D will need to force turnovers or the score will be similar to the ACCCG...
Agreed. I actually think we match up better with Alabama than we do Missy State. I expect to get guffaws for saying that but that is really what I believe.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. I actually think we match up better with Alabama than we do Missy State. I expect to get guffaws for saying that but that is really what I believe.
How would we matchup better to Bama? Their D alone would make it tough for us to score any points at all. Especially without Smelter and Snoddy. Miss St. has an average D and a pretty good O

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I am not thrilled with this match-up. A good portion of my lack of enthusiasm, however, is because it is one of the SEC schools from Mississippi. I will always be amused when I think of how Dodd refused to schedule them as he saw no benefit in travelling all that way to play in their (at the time) podunk stadiums. That is what I recall as the deciding element for him at least.

Here is my initial attempt to think positive about this game. The bye week before UGA clearly helped Roof and his coordinators and our defense to get very well prepared to take on UGA. Obviously half-time adjustments also contributed greatly to the Tech win but even though the Dawgs hit big plays and moved the ball better first half they still were scoring something over 40 points a game at home all year. So the intelligent effort on defense all game long was very impressive to me. I think that the D may benefit greatly in the bowl prep time.

Given that I expect the O to look real rusty at times in the bowl game and may have a harder time getting their timing down then maybe the D can help keep it close. Maybe Butker and special teams will also benefit from the extra prep time.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
How would we matchup better to Bama? Their D alone would make it tough for us to score any points at all. Especially without Smelter and Snoddy. Miss St. has an average D and a pretty good O
I am sure he partly has in mind how terrible Bama looked against GSU a few years ago. As well as how many points they gave up to Auburn.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Mississippi State has a better offense than Alabama.
Add to this that it is the kind of offense we have the most trouble with -a spread attack with a highly mobile quarterback. (UNC anyone?)

As for defense, we have proven we can put points up on anyone. The most difficulty we had in that regard was against Clemson who has the top defense in the nation according to the NCAA. Alabama is ranked well below them in defense.

Finally, we tended to do well against teams that tried to over power us, the way Alabama likes to play.