GT 7.5 Home Dog to UCF

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Did not want to start new thread, but does anyone know if/when/how virus test results are reported for the team. Basically wondering if there are milestone points during the week where no news is good news or is it just part & parcell with reporting players' status like injuries, suspensions, etc.

Would we hear (thru official channels), the tests conducted (Sun or Mon?) came back all negative?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
This was from July 2015
Phil Steele: How Often Do Underdogs Win Outright?
My next tier looks at point spreads that were greater than a touchdown, so it includes lines between 7.5 and 10. In our selected time period, there were 1,657 teams that were favored by 7.5 to 10 points and 434 upsets, which translates to a 26.2% upset rate (i.e., greater than a 1 in 4 chance).
From 1997-2014, there were 3,044 teams that were favored by more than a field goal but not more than a touchdown (i.e., 3.5 to 7). In those 3,044 teams, underdogs have claimed victory in 1,069 games for a percentage of 35.1%.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Curious at everyone’s thoughts:

Does being a 7.5 point underdog at home to UCF following our win at FSU make you feel disrespected, respected, or sound about right for where we are in the rebuild?

It's really hard to say. First games are not good indicators of what a season holds, and FSU is borderline dumpster fire. Considering last year, I think we are ahead of schedule on the rebuild but I'm not willing to predict 7-8 wins either. I'm just taking it game by game and enjoying the ride.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Was being lazy so I am responding to two separate posts in a single post. I know, I know..

..but..​

Did not want to start new thread, but does anyone know if/when/how virus test results are reported for the team. Basically wondering if there are milestone points during the week where no news is good news or is it just part & parcell with reporting players' status like injuries, suspensions, etc.

Would we hear (thru official channels), the tests conducted (Sun or Mon?) came back all negative?
This is a really good question, not just because I had the same thought when I read this: Ol’ Ed is apparently the Honeybadger of Covid Chaos™ (link title is a creation of my own, thank you very much)

I am especially twitchy about this bit from CEO, “The coach explained that because players who have recovered from COVID-19 do not have to be tested again for 90 days under Southeastern Conference protocols, he figures he won't likely have to worry about those who've come back from the virus suddenly being ruled out again because of it.”

It isn’t immediately clear to me when he is saying there is a “presumed no longer contagious” point in this 90 day window, or when the clock starts (first positive test, onset of symptoms, first negative test)
Kinda was because we had the same question ;)(y):LOL:

Does being a 7.5 point underdog at home to UCF following our win at FSU make you feel disrespected, respected, or sound about right for where we are in the rebuild?
Ummmmmmm.....

We just got done telling the last team we played

So I guess it’s fine, people will learn someday that all fields we step on become the same type of property; namely
WreckEveryoneAndLeave™
#ForTheBrand #404TheCulture #CompetitionIsKing

Last edited:

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I’d like to add my thanks to the mods for giving us all these tools. I struggled through posting this whole deal from an iphone, and would like to think I’ve highlighted a few of the plethora of goodies you’ve supplied us with (Gifs, spoilers, a community of fans to commiserate with and most importantly “preview post”) well done GTSwarmSquad

Jacoooooob

Jolly Good Fellow
Just realized you have a typo in your handle, it should be: “JacBooooooo” (that last “o” is compliments of me).
;)
I mean 6 wins would be really good in my opinion considering how young we are and the strength of schedule were playing, plus you pretty much could have any player test positive at any given point, If all goes well and (knock on wood) Sims and the O-line stay healthy, then I would say we could get 8-9. Plus, lets be honest we all know TECH thrives as the underdog, oh and even though we don't play them this year THWG!!!

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I mean 6 wins would be really good in my opinion considering how young we are and the strength of schedule were playing, plus you pretty much could have any player test positive at any given point, If all goes well and (knock on wood) Sims and the O-line stay healthy, then I would say we could get 8-9. Plus, lets be honest we all know TECH thrives as the underdog, oh and even though we don't play them this year THWG!!!
Now we are getting back to BourbonBuddies™ 🥃
In all seriousness though, I think we have to take each game as a one week season (even more than before) because of the challenges you rightly mentioned (Covid, injuries, SoS) but I’m optimistic and this is a message board, not a sports book so I feel good about it.

Jmonty71

Banned
I haven't seen UCF play and neither has anyone is Vegas. However; going off, last year. I cannot say I saw anything overly amazing. I saw a good team, not a great team. I saw a team that played as individuals and not so much as a team. I think if we limit the miscues, we will flat out win. The one thing UCF does, better than FSU, is take care of the ball. FSU is mistake prone, for now. UCF isn't. So, we have to play sound defense. I think we run much better. I am giving a slight edge to UCF 27-24. We play well, but leave a few plays on the table.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I haven't seen UCF play and neither has anyone is Vegas. However; going off, last year. I cannot say I saw anything overly amazing. I saw a good team, not a great team. I saw a team that played as individuals and not so much as a team. I think if we limit the miscues, we will flat out win. The one thing UCF does, better than FSU, is take care of the ball. FSU is mistake prone, for now. UCF isn't. So, we have to play sound defense. I think we run much better. I am giving a slight edge to UCF 27-24. We play well, but leave a few plays on the table.
I would say UCF does more than one thing better than FSU. They averaged more yards per game than FSU had in any game last year and that was when FSU had a quality running back.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

Sounds about right to me as well. I am hoping we keep it closer (heck, who am I kidding? I am hoping we win and bury them, but that is the fanatic in me speaking!)....I really will be bummed it we are behind 31-7 late in the 3rd quarter.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Given that their total offense out put last year was often double what ours was, the wonder is that we are not double digit underdogs. We were double digit underdogs against FSU so this is not uncharted territory. The mindset of the team is more important than any notions of being respected or disrespected. Have they come down off the clouds yet? Are they focused and ready to play ball? We have guys hurt are the backups ready to play? We will find out. Each week presents new challenges. This one is facing an explosive offense full of guys who are undersized by power 5 standards but can run like the wind. If we are not focused, they will have guys running free like its a flag football game.