GT (-6) vs. Duke

Deleted member 2897

Duke is a piss poor team. This is a game (like Virginia was) where we should win by 3 touchdowns. Lets blow someone out for a change so that our backups can get some playing time and so our starters can rest up for Georgia.

If we beat Duke, Virginia only needs to lose to either Miami or Virginia Tech for us to finish 2nd in the Coastal. Virginia (as you can see with the 22 point line this week) will be heavy underdogs in both. So if we take care of business, finishing 2nd in the Coastal behind only the #2 team in the country ain't bad.

We've beat the spread 10 of the last 11 weeks. Lets keep the streak going.

Deleted member 2897

I just realized that if we beat Duke, we'll finish behind Miami, Clemson, and NC State. We would have the tiebreakers against anybody else left like Virginia Tech or Wake - meaning - beat Duke and we'll finish 4th in the entire ACC. That is not bad considering the angst we went through this year. That should get us a decent bowl game.

Bowl games look like CFP for either Clemson or Miami.
Then Orange Bowl for the other?
Then Camping World Bowl for NC State?

Then the first tier of:
Belk Bowl
Sun Bowl
Pinstripe
Taxslayer/Music City

Do I have all this correct? If I'm reading this right, if we beat Duke, we should have a great chance to play in the Belk Bowl against someone like South Carolina?

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
So....weather forecast for saturday calling for rain AGAIN. I sure hope this team is ready for the weather this time, kinda crazy that all of our road games this year are going to be in the rain.

Animal02

Banned
I just realized that if we beat Duke, we'll finish behind Miami, Clemson, and NC State. We would have the tiebreakers against anybody else left like Virginia Tech or Wake - meaning - beat Duke and we'll finish 4th in the entire ACC. That is not bad considering the angst we went through this year. That should get us a decent bowl game.

Bowl games look like CFP for either Clemson or Miami.
Then Orange Bowl for the other?
Then Camping World Bowl for NC State?

Then the first tier of:
Belk Bowl
Sun Bowl
Pinstripe
Taxslayer/Music City

Do I have all this correct? If I'm reading this right, if we beat Duke, we should have a great chance to play in the Belk Bowl against someone like South Carolina?
Bowls o not take teams based on their standing in conference.......they pick their best option. So we could easily be passed over by VT, WF etc that the particular bowl committee feels would bring a better fan base and provide a better viewership for their bowl

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
College Football is an amazingly emotional game, and the emotional set up for each game matters a great deal. As a player I have been on teams on both ends of the equation and experienced firsthand what I describe below.

Duke just lost a game to Army and is mired in a disappointing season. IMO it's very likely we are going to get Duke's absolute best shot. They got an option team and failed to stop it. Now they get another one against which to redeem themselves. Further, they have a division rival in us, and they will be looking with great urgency, focus, and emotion to salvage their season. Beating GT is going to mean A LOT to them. Will beating Duke mean as much to us? Unless the game goes badly early for them IMO it's likely they are going to be a bad team that plays out of their mind. They have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Meanwhile, we just had an emotional release during a frustrating season in upsetting #17 VT at home. All that focus and drive culminated in a reward of a big victory. Will we let down in the low energy environs of Wallace Wade against a team we may not take seriously, yet likely will be fighting to salvage some good feeling to their season? Don't underestimate the work a P5 D-1 team puts in! Duke will be very hungry and we should expect a wounded animal backed into a corner fighting against a larger, stronger foe.

Fortunately for us we have a bowl birth to play for, and one would think that would be very motivating. But we need urgency, energy, and focus this week in practice. Although we beat VT we are still quite inconsistent, and I feel we have not yet played our best football. Turn it over a time or two and have some special teams gaffes and we can lose a "shocker" at Duke very easily.

I really hope we come out with a lot of urgency, focus, and a desire to be our best and put the hammer to Duke. We'll need to be playing our best to beat the Dwags and it's time to mash on the gas and take this game very seriously.

New Old Guy

Jolly Good Fellow
As others have said, predicting the weather 6 days ahead is risky business. Nonetheless, this prediction is for rain late morning, with partly cloudy skies by our 3:30 kickoff.

Now the forecast is for showers starting at 3:00 pm . Four days left — I’m sure the forecast will change again!

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Duke just lost a game to Army and is mired in a disappointing season. IMO it's very likely we are going to get Duke's absolute best shot. They got an option team and failed to stop it. Now they get another one against which to redeem themselves. Further, they have a division rival in us, and they will be looking with great urgency, focus, and emotion to salvage their season. Beating GT is going to mean A LOT to them. Will beating Duke mean as much to us? Unless the game goes badly early for them IMO it's likely they are going to be a bad team that plays out of their mind. They have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

".

Yeah I was hoping Duke would give up a lot of yards and points to Army's offense but come out with the win. Now they're facing bowl elimination with THREE WEEKS of practice defending the option under their belts.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
I may make the trip... I’ll let you know. $4 tickets are hard to beat lol
Awesome! Would be cool to meet up with some Swarm folks at an away game. My tailgating time is being cut into by the Raleigh Christmas parade with kids, but we're heading from DT Raleigh to Durham around noon.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
Awesome! Would be cool to meet up with some Swarm folks at an away game. My tailgating time is being cut into by the Raleigh Christmas parade with kids, but we're heading from DT Raleigh to Durham around noon.
If I do make the trip, I’ll definitely pm you here.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
Duke has a very good defense but struggles to score. We cannot expect to give them anything and get a comfortable win. If special teams are no worse than average and we do not turn the ball over, we should win.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The Duke offense is having a lot of trouble scoring in their last six games (all losses). They scored 21 points against UVA, but one TD was an interception return and the last was in the final minutes when they were down 14 points. In every other game they scored 17 or less. That said, we seem to make every game in Durham a lot closer than it should be (except when we lose). I was up there two years ago when we were simply overwhelmed by our own poor play and mistakes.

If you plan to buy your tickets at the Duke website or at the gate, remember, the Tech sections are 2-5. That said, you should be able to sit anywhere. I have never seen the stadium full except for the single Duke-UNC game I attended. The aisle ushers may check your ticket before kickoff, but never after that.

I think we will win 31-10.