GT (-5) vs. VT

ramblinvak

Ramblin' Wreck
It has been interesting to see how much respect Vegas has been giving us for being currently being a 6-loss team.

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
why? I would favor VPISU
It's extremely hard to get away from gut sense and gut logic, but Vegas does not operate on sense or logic. Vegas operates on churning as much money as possible.

VPISU folk see that line and bet on their team when they might otherwise not have. GT folk see it and some may pick us not to cover. I think Vegas does respect us but they're all about running the money through, and getting people to place bets, or place larger bets emotionally, than they otherwise would have.

The way they nailed the Utah one still amazes me, though.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
?????
We have a horrible record on Thursday night games. And VT has looked much better since they got Brewer back at QB.
I don't typically bet on college football games, but VT plus 5 points would be awfully enticing.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm glad Vegas thinks we have a plug and play O and D. But what is Vegas to do? We beat a damn good team in FSU at home after blowing a 21 point lead to UNC at home. Which team will show up? The one that beat FSU or lost to Fluke & UVa? If this were a road game for us, I would think VT would be favored by several points.

Gotsis out is going to hurt for a TD worth. Snoddy and Chamberlain back will help .... I'll be watching and rooting but not expecting a win. I don't have the sense of dread that I did going into the Clemson game but I'm a lot less optimistic than the UVa game.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
At this point I would not be betting on GT to win any game. Not to say we can't but I think we have reached the point that if our opponent is not capable of beating us outright, we will lend a hand and give them the game. Painful to watch, but I will be there hoping we can find a way to win one more. I watched the Falcons today and it looks like they have caught our disease.

Go Jackets!

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
It has been interesting to see how much respect Vegas has been giving us for being currently being a 6-loss team.

Vegas actually doesn't give respect to anyone. The only reason for the line is to even out the betting. Vegas doesn't have any better idea of who would win than anyone else. They want the betting to be even, so they are guaranteed to not lose anything but only collect the vig. It doesn't matter how good we are, or how good VT is. The only thing that matters is how even the betting is.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I'm glad Vegas thinks we have a plug and play O and D. But what is Vegas to do? We beat a damn good team in FSU at home after blowing a 21 point lead to UNC at home. Which team will show up? The one that beat FSU or lost to Fluke & UVa? If this were a road game for us, I would think VT would be favored by several points.

Gotsis out is going to hurt for a TD worth. Snoddy and Chamberlain back will help .... I'll be watching and rooting but not expecting a win. I don't have the sense of dread that I did going into the Clemson game but I'm a lot less optimistic than the UVa game.

I think it's a reflection of how close our losses have been. We are 1-5 in one possession (8 point) games. Typically, these tend to even out, so we should, theoretically, be due to win another close one.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
I think it's a reflection of how close our losses have been. We are 1-5 in one possession (8 point) games. Typically, these tend to even out, so we should, theoretically, be due to win another close one.
Agreed that we've been unlucky in one possession games, but that's the gambler's fallacy. Hope you're right, though I'd be comfortable beating them by four touchdowns.