GT (-4) @ UNC

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I am pretty surprised. The GT/VT line was 59 and UNC's defense isn't supposed to be much better. With a spread of -4 they are expecting 32-28. I feel like we score more, and they potentially score less.
I’m thinking 41-27 for us. I don’t think we’ll have a problem scoring but I think the D does it’s usual give up easy scores early then settles down. While we run all over them and wear out their D. But we need to not put it on the ground too.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Watched the UNC vs UVA game. UNC had a lot of decent passes that were just really well defended, DBs causing the drops with well-timed hits.

I think we're going to need to play better D than we have.

Hopefully, we'll be "good GT" on O from here on.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
I will take a 1 point win. We are unpredictable so why bother. Roof is family, get off his back. Based on what I have seen out our defense this year, it looks a lot like the last few years.

Go Jackets!

You don't see any improvement this year? I see changes each game, I see new schemes and some different looks. It looks like a first year coach sometimes but I see reasons to look up.

Deleted member 2897

It isn't Ted Roof bad though, which is the lowest level a defense can be.

NC State has only won 10 or more games only once in their entire program's history. Just let that sink in for a minute.

Luckily, they were able to schedule a 13th game against East Carolina to replace the canceled West Virginia game. A pretty good swap from a loss to a win. But they have to win out still to become only the 2nd team in NC State history to win 10 games. That means they need to sweep FSU, Wake Forest, @Louisville, @UNC, East Carolina. I mean, you can't ask for a more favorable schedule than that at this point in the season. But there's a reason why NC State never wins 10 games even when everything is stacked in their favor. NC State is the kind of team that can lose to any of those teams.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
GT37 UNCheat19

Big game we can’t afford to brain fart over. In CPJs 11th season, we’ve only been below 0.500 in ACC play once - the injury riddled 2015 season. If we win, we get back to 3-3...and miraculously would be on a 3 game road win streak. If we can’t best UNCheat, I don’t see us beating both Miami and Virginia. Would sure be weird to finish the year with the single most dominating rushing team in CPJs history but not even have a winning record.

And in today’s weird things tidbit - we actually still have a non-zero chance of winning 10 games this year. :D

Your worse case scenario is not weird at all, when the greatness of a program is tied to being the nations leading rushing team while ignoring the passing game, D and S/T for the better part of 11 years.

Deleted member 2897

Your worse case scenario is not weird at all, when the greatness of a program is tied to being the nations leading rushing team while ignoring the passing game, D and S/T for the better part of 11 years.

giphy.gif

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The overall defense is ranked lower than TRs time frame. The up side is turnovers and some field position.

2017 gave up 28 points per game and 2018 is the same so far. But this is a young backfield... TR would have back slidden as well. Now the time of possession has swung hard.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The overall defense is ranked lower than TRs time frame. The up side is turnovers and some field position.

2017 gave up 28 points per game and 2018 is the same so far. But this is a young backfield... TR would have back slidden as well. Now the time of possession has swung hard.

Part of the time of possession metric is due to our O this year. We are 3-5 yds and a cloud of dust more so now than previously. Our longest plays from scrimmage in games is frequently 15 yds. We truly are a death march team this year.

Turnovers are a factor also, so is giving up big plays and fast TDs on D.

Deleted member 2897

Our defensive stats are skewed by a couple things:
* We've given up multiple KO returns for TDs and a defensive TD, and an egregious turnover that gave our opponent a first and goal starting position from the 5.
* We've absolutely blown out 4 teams where we were leading by 30+ points by the 3rd quarter (Alcorn State, Bowling Green, Louisville, Virginia Tech) where we spent a significant amount of time with 3rd stringers and even walk-ons on the field.

In my opinion, USF was a defensive/special teams loss. Clemson was a team loss. Pittsburgh and Duke were offensive losses. If I'm trying to be fair, I really only see 1 game that would have swung from a loss to a win had our defense played measurably better (USF) and even that is a close call due to the horrid special teams play. I mean Terrance Horne for USF had 5 KO returns for 265 yards (53 yard avg per return) with 2 TDs.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I actually think Roof would have produced better results than Woody this season, mainly because our personel is built for Ted’s D and that we are still learning a 100% different scheme and philosopy. I am holding out hope that Woody will be better longterm then Ted, i love the attacking Def and think it’s perfect for GT.

slugboy

Staff member

The Nate Woody air guitar on the sideline is fun, though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
I actually think Roof would have produced better results than Woody this season, mainly because our personel is built for Ted’s D and that we are still learning a 100% different scheme and philosopy. I am holding out hope that Woody will be better longterm then Ted, i love the attacking Def and think it’s perfect for GT.
I really like seeing us get pressure to the QB, seemed like if Amp Simmons didn’t make a play last year we never had pressure