GT #17 in Coaches Poll

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
Right where I thought we'd be, but I think we should be in the top 15.

Several of these are pretty funny:

Georgia at #9. No QB, no Gurley. Defense wasn't all that great last year. Wouldn't surprise me if South Carolina beat them in week three.

FSU at #8 is pretty crazy too. Winston had so much to do with how good they were, and they're now without both him and Cook. They might be in for a fall.

USC at #10...yeah, OK...I'll believe this one when I see it.

Doesn't matter. We play four of the teams in the pre-season top-15 this year. If we beat Notre Dame in week 3 we will be right there in the mix.

Have you been hearing how much they've been talking up Grayson Lambert at Ugag?? Oh my goodness you would think he's going to be the next Matthew Stafford! I honestly think he was the worst QB we faced last year hands down when we beat the brakes off UVA.

GravyTrain

Georgia Tech Fan
Well yea, they can finish with 5 losses, fire their def coordinator, lose their QB and top receiver, lose their bowl game, and return the 2nd worst defense in their conference and make the top 10

Don't forget their 0-2 record against teams that were beaten 59-0 during the course of the season. Those two teams being Wisconsin (vs. Ohio State) and Texas A&M (vs. Bama). Woof.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
17 is not a bad place to start from, but if we were more of a big name team, there is no doubt we would have started a lot higher.... Look at all the five and six loss SEC teams. I guess the end of last season is quickly forgotten.

Animal02

Banned
17 is not a bad place to start from, but if we were more of a big name team, there is no doubt we would have started a lot higher.... Look at all the five and six loss SEC teams. I guess the end of last season is quickly forgotten.
That just assures whichever 2 loss SEC team at the end of the season stays in the top ten and can claim a shot at the playoffs.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I wish we were ranked lower than that. I like when they count us out.

Part of me agrees with this, except that when you start at 17 and have a loss at some point before halfway, you dang near drop out (especially if you're in the ACC). If you start top 10, and early loss only drops you a few spots. Not saying we are definitely a top 10 team, but we are good enough now to start considering these implications to our season goals.

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
Part of me agrees with this, except that when you start at 17 and have a loss at some point before halfway, you dang near drop out (especially if you're in the ACC). If you start top 10, and early loss only drops you a few spots. Not saying we are definitely a top 10 team, but we are good enough now to start considering these implications to our season goals.

Just win, Jackets. Just. Win.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
They may not all know what an axiom is, but the writers all start with the axiom that the SEC is in a league by itself. However they do recognize that there are other teams that can compete with them. Stanford and Oregon for example have earned their way to a higher place in the mind of the writers over time and over JT's tenure I hope and believe we can do the same.

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
About what I expected. Although we finished strong and have a load of returning starters, GT has a long, way too long, history of failing to build on a successful year and the voters remember that.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
Doesn't matter. We play four of the teams in the pre-season top-15 this year. If we beat Notre Dame in week 3 we will be right there in the mix.

Exactly. All 4 in the top 15! Plenty of opportunity to climb to the top. Take care of business.

Can't wait to see us do this to ND...
charlie-murphy-slap-o.gif

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I think it may be helpful for some to consider a likely starting point: 4yr recruiting average.
It's funny how they seem to put so much emphasis on recruiting rankings when putting together top 25 lists. Those things are pretty much a crap-shoot (as evidence, the "revised" recruiting rankings after 4 years are always very different from the initial), yet they put more faith in those numbers than previous year's performance.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
The only thing that matters is where you finish, not where you start. It is nice to be talked about in the preseason, but I like flying under the radar till it counts.

TechnicalPossum

Ramblin' Wreck
It's funny how they seem to put so much emphasis on recruiting rankings when putting together top 25 lists. Those things are pretty much a crap-shoot (as evidence, the "revised" recruiting rankings after 4 years are always very different from the initial), yet they put more faith in those numbers than previous year's performance.
In theory, the recruiting average should be a better indicator of what is to come instead of what just happened. In practice, it depends.