GT #11

Deleted member 2897

Yea a the only ACC team ahead of us in the RPI is the one we nearly swept (Loserville). I’m sure we gotta nice bump by their sweep @NC State.

I feel the same this week as I did last week. We already won @Auburn, so this week’s Auburn game is gravy. Pressure is on them. A 2-2 week overall is “okay”.

BUT. If we’re going to be serious about hosting a regional and going to Omaha, we need to either beat Auburn and/or sweep the weekend. It is what it is.

Also, we’ve lost game 1 in 3 straight ACC series. We have to come out Friday with a bigger sense of urgency.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yea a the only ACC team ahead of us in the RPI is the one we nearly swept (Loserville). I’m sure we gotta nice bump by their sweep @NC State.

I feel the same this week as I did last week. We already won @Auburn, so this week’s Auburn game is gravy. Pressure is on them. A 2-2 week overall is “okay”.

BUT. If we’re going to be serious about hosting a regional and going to Omaha, we need to either beat Auburn and/or sweep the weekend. It is what it is.

Also, we’ve lost game 1 in 3 straight ACC series. We have to come out Friday with a bigger sense of urgency.

The VT series starts on Thursday ;)

If we lose to Auburn we'll probably drop from 14th to 17th in rpi since it's @GT.

Like @FredJacket , I'm greedy. I want to win them all and NOW (channeling my inner millennial).

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck

Fridays have been a little weird though. While X didn't look good against ND, he didn't play against UNC, and was coming back from an injury against BC. I'm not looking to make excuses, but he may still be settling back in.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Fridays have been a little weird though. While X didn't look good against ND, he didn't play against UNC, and was coming back from an injury against BC. I'm not looking to make excuses, but he may still be settling back in.
Haven't we notoriously played the first game of a road series poorly? X seemed to haven't gotten rocked though and perhaps it's something he's working out after being knocked out of his routine with an injury.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Maybe, but he pitched in relief on the Sunday against UNC and looked great there. I have no idea why he faltered at BC. Sometimes it happens to the best pitchers (look at Jacob deGrom last night), and that reinforces that for pitchers, just like in real estate, it remains being about location, location, location.

Deleted member 2897

X was only one part of the equation though. Our offense @BC on Friday was deplorable. We were scoreless until the 7th inning and that was the only inning we scored in.

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
One thing of note is that our opponent's RPI for the rest of the season is pretty poor. Now that could be a good thing if we can take care of business against teams we should beat. However, a few unexpected losses and our RPI could drop tremendously. The mid-week games against Uga and Auburn are the highest we'll face. Clemson is 24, VT is 43, Duke is 78, and Pitt is a wretched 221 (really better sweep that series at home).

Deleted member 2897

One thing of note is that our opponent's RPI for the rest of the season is pretty poor. Now that could be a good thing if we can take care of business against teams we should beat. However, a few unexpected losses and our RPI could drop tremendously. The mid-week games against Uga and Auburn are the highest we'll face. Clemson is 24, VT is 43, Duke is 78, and Pitt is a wretched 221 (really better sweep that series at home).

14 of our final 18 games are at home if I'm counting right, plus one at SunTrust. So its also an ability for us to finish up the season on a huge run and get close to 40 wins.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
14 of our final 18 games are at home if I'm counting right, plus one at SunTrust. So its also an ability for us to finish up the season on a huge run and get close to 40 wins.
Now... I feel like you're messing with me, @bwelbo. You post something that just seems a little not quite right, & I can't help but look it up. That said, you aren't counting right.
Remaining schedule
11 home games (Clem, WCU, Pitt, Auburn, Mercer...not in that order)
1 at SunTrust (UGA)
6 road games (VT, Duke)

...now, I think your point is still valid, potential strong run to finish. Maybe not 16-2 to reach 40 wins, but we will see.

Deleted member 2897

Now... I feel like you're messing with me, @bwelbo. You post something that just seems a little not quite right, & I can't help but look it up. That said, you aren't counting right.
Remaining schedule
1 at SunTrust (UGA)
6 road games (VT, Duke)

...now, I think your point is still valid, potential strong run to finish. Maybe not 16-2 to reach 40 wins, but we will see.

I have no idea why the super-capital-F I thought I read this morning that VT was at home. I knew it was on the road too, but I swear I read somewhere today it wasn't. Sad.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Remaining schedule
1 at SunTrust (UGA)
6 road games (VT, Duke)

He (probably like me) assumed we wouldn't play two road series in a row, so I thought Vt was coming here until recently....

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
With my memory I try and assume very little.

Maybe, but he pitched in relief on the Sunday against UNC and looked great there. I have no idea why he faltered at BC. Sometimes it happens to the best pitchers (look at Jacob deGrom last night), and that reinforces that for pitchers, just like in real estate, it remains being about location, location, location.

If we had seen the game we might have had a better idea. The StatsBroadcast for the game is password protected so I can't get the good data. But going to the rinky dink and generally third class website representative of the BC baseball program, I see X threw 82 pitches in 5 IP. Gave up 0 walks, 0 HBP and had 4 SO. But BC had 11!!!! hits for WHIP of 2.2. So X was throwing strikes and BC was hitting them. I looked at his WHIP for the year and it is only a bit (1.23 versus 1.10) higher than last year.

We won't know what is going on till we see X in action again. I think since he only threw 82 pitches we see him Thursday IFF he isn't hurting. BC is not a good hitting team, but maybe Friday night was just their night to get hits. It was our night to not get hits / runs.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't know what their team average is, but they had some impressive individual numbers. I think their first four or five guys were all over or right around .300.

You are correct, the top of their order was really good. I think the lower part drug the average down. Their team BA is .284, our is .288. We have scored 217 runs in 33 games and they have scored 197 in 34 games.

So that allows my idea that it wasn't X's night to remain unproven or disproven.

I sure hope so since we will really need him down the stretch and in tourney time.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
You are correct, the top of their order was really good. I think the lower part drug the average down. Their team BA is .284, our is .288. We have scored 217 runs in 33 games and they have scored 197 in 34 games.

So that allows my idea that it wasn't X's night to remain unproven or disproven.

I sure hope so since we will really need him down the stretch and in tourney time.
Assuming he's not pitching hurt (I think that is a safe assumption)... the one player on roster I am not worried about (mentally) is Curry. Dude has a pretty consistent track record of bouncing back or rising to occassion. He is a "gamer"

crl85

Jolly Good Fellow
The VT series starts on Thursday ;)

If we lose to Auburn we'll probably drop from 14th to 17th in rpi since it's @GT.

Like @FredJacket , I'm greedy. I want to win them all and NOW (channeling my inner millennial).
With VT starting on Thursday i’d love to get creative with pitching rotation.

Pitch CT Thursday in Blacksburg > Tuesday at suntrust > Sunday against Clemson....

That would give him 5 days rest bw games and allow us to use our ace in the rubber match against the fart knockers.

With VT starting on Thursday i’d love to get creative with pitching rotation.

Pitch CT Thursday in Blacksburg > Tuesday at suntrust > Sunday against Clemson....

That would give him 5 days rest bw games and allow us to use our ace in the rubber match against the fart knockers.

I admire your creativity, but we really don’t need to stretch CT just to get him in a mid week game against the cesspool when the main goal is to win the ACC.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I admire your creativity, but we really don’t need to stretch CT just to get him in a mid week game against the cesspool when the main goal is to win the ACC.

I agree we don't want to overuse CT. We have seen in past years what not having strong starting pitching does ...... to any team come tourney time.

I also agree weekend ACC games are more important toward the goal of going to Omaha. Winning the ACC would be nice, but no where near getting to Omaha.