Griffin, Devine, Burden, O'Reilly

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
1- you saw the offense adjust to the pressure and score some points.

There were some good fast decisions by TB, including some good "gives" to the B. We saw effective Midline! We saw a slant!! The slant went to the spot that Nealy vacated (to blitz). I saw some very effective "quick pitches" to the motion A back that would have absolutely resulted in a sack last year. (It's probably worth a whole thread on the quick pitch).

I also saw us change the snap count several times with false tempo (A back motion and stop, then reset). Once, I think I saw TB hard count and get the entire defense to stutter-step...

We didn't see any of that against VT last year.

I will watch it again (haven't yet) but watching it live I feel like there was some progress.

/
It always amazes me we don't see more slants. You don't need the pass protection and it keeps the linebackers honest.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Chase Roberts & Chamberlain are interchangeable to me, Roberts is an upgrade but not really. Jake Whitely is a coming this summer as a freshman but honestly that's it. The other option is moving Burden to right tackle with his athleticism and imo since he is not a significantly better than O'Reilly maybe the best option.

I still like Devine moving to tackle but with our one dimensional offense I guess it's best to leave him at guard.
Whitley is a guard. I think you mean Stickler at tackle.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Preddy - T
Klock - T
Stickler - T
Marshall - C
Whitley - G
Brown - G but could also play T

Stickler is a good one.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
No I don't.

Chris Griffin is one of my favorite prospects in a long time.

I think Stickler can be very good though.

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
Chase Roberts & Chamberlain are interchangeable to me, Roberts is an upgrade but not really. Jake Whitely is a coming this summer as a freshman but honestly that's it. The other option is moving Burden to right tackle with his athleticism and imo since he is not a significantly better than O'Reilly maybe the best option.

I hope we start fall camp with Burden at RT as I have completely lost confidence in the people at RT from the performance last year and the reports from spring. It seems to be the only real weak spot on the oline. And the only way to fix it seems to be a personnel change.

PantherWreck

Georgia Tech Fan
Two questions:

1. What is our answer to the B-gap jump/run blitz?
2. If the OL turns out to be a strength, does CMS get any props?

I think we intended to have an answer vs VT last year, but our OL shot us in the foot with all the false start issues in that game. Would have been interesting to see what would have happened without those issues.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
The VT game just about had us in tears last years... a false start here, a false start there, here a false start, there a false start... it would like being at old McDonald's farm.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The VT game just about had us in tears last years... a false start here, a false start there, here a false start, there a false start... it would like being at old McDonald's farm.

The VT game last year was the low point for me. I expected to lose to UGAg and the bowl game. I expected for us to beat VT because we should have been better than them.

Coastal this year should be between GT and Miami. But to do that, the OL can't brain fart a division game away.

thwgjacket

The VT game last year was the low point for me. I expected to lose to UGAg and the bowl game. I expected for us to beat VT because we should have been better than them.

Coastal this year should be between GT and Miami. But to do that, the OL can't brain fart a division game away.
Miami scares me. Their OL is MASSIVE. They'll average about 6'5 315# on the line. ACL injuries are getting easier to come back from so I think Duke Johnson will be just as good as last year. Only positives for us are the new QB and lack of proven playmakers at receiver. 9 of 11 on their D are upperclassmen. Call me crazy, they might be better than FSU this year if they can get consistent play from the QB.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Miami scares me. Their OL is MASSIVE. They'll average about 6'5 315# on the line. ACL injuries are getting easier to come back from so I think Duke Johnson will be just as good as last year. Only positives for us are the new QB and lack of proven playmakers at receiver. 9 of 11 on their D are upperclassmen. Call me crazy, they might be better than FSU this year if they can get consistent play from the QB.

You are crazy

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III

You're right, ACL injuries are easier to come back from with modern advances in medicine. We'll have to wait and see how he recovers from his broken ankle.

thwgjacket

You're right, ACL injuries are easier to come back from with modern advances in medicine. We'll have to wait and see how he recovers from his broken ankle.
You're right, sorry. It was Ryan Williams, the projected starting QB who tore his ACL recently. Just got the injuries mixed up.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
@Boomergump

I watched four series last night with just Devine...and your assessment is spot on. He simply owned Kitchen...it was surprising how easily he moved him around. I see what you mean by his speed in the open field and him getting to the perimeter wasn't a strong point...but his movements in the box is unreal. I also thought he carried his weight around well...he also looked to be giving 100%.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Devine, in may ways, reminds me of how Bill Fralic used to love to get his hands on a D lineman. Howie Long said many time when Bill got ahold of you, you were going where HE wanted you to. While Shamire nay not be good in space now if he get his hands you, you're not going to make a play!

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Can't wait to see Devine develop more. I was worried - having read all the fodder- about his weight, but after reading through this post I went and watched some of the series as well.

Wow, I am feeling better.