Gregg Garrett at Lunch Bunch via Hive

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
It wasn't clear whether he or Roof felt the defense "would be about the same." If it is, we already are in trouble and spring practice hasn't even started. Sometime, somewhere, somebody ... one would figure we could have a defense at least capable of consistent mediocrity. Having to score six touchdowns to win is not a good business model. With apologies to Krusty, I think it was.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It wasn't clear whether he or Roof felt the defense "would be about the same." If it is, we already are in trouble and spring practice hasn't even started. Sometime, somewhere, somebody ... one would figure we could have a defense at least capable of consistent mediocrity. Having to score six touchdowns to win is not a good business model. With apologies to Krusty, I think it was.

Yeah, that was what jumped out at me as well. It seemed that he recently talked with Roof and that his take away would be that the D would not be much improved. I agree that that's not a good sign.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Biggest takeaway from that for me was the money issues we have currently and the ones that are looming. We're going to have to get even more creative to overcome them.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
not a shock about greg's comments about the D; and I agree, and think they will be the "same". Its who he is as a DC....production is always about the same school to school year to year etc under CTR on a general basis. And no its not a good sign. But I hope West can infuse into the D too.....and maybe we get more of a system to the D that we can rely on.

That UGA OL is probably a better coach than over half our assistants. It is what it is. The quality of coaches at the factories like Bama, UGA, Clemson, FSU etc is WAY up there.

Tech pays low for asst. True. Tech support staff non-coaches some of the lowest in the NCAA. True. The fact we compete in the upper half is a miracle.

Greg is a good guy and great supporter of tech. And he puts his money where his mouth is so glad he offers his insight.

alagold

Helluva Engineer

s,
until we can recruit as many DTs as Abacks,we will never have enough DTs nor a DEF that can be as successful as we need
ex: in an age when teams are passing like crazy,we were last in conference in sacks and we lost our best DL, I hope there is a plan B

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
LOL! I just scrolled down his Twitter feed and saw those recent follows. I'll give GG credit for knowing what he likes. He's not a Legs Man. Not a Boobs Man. Not even an Eyes Man.

Nope, it's a 24/7 booty call for GG — the *** Man.
With all those coming at around the same time like that, I'd guess either his account got "hacked" or he thought he was on his personal (private) account late one night.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Biggest takeaway from that for me was the money issues we have currently and the ones that are looming. We're going to have to get even more creative to overcome them.

Gets hard to be functionally creative and "legal"... ask bernie madoof...

Bottom line, finances are what they are.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
not a shock about greg's comments about the D; and I agree, and think they will be the "same". Its who he is as a DC....production is always about the same school to school year to year etc under CTR on a general basis. And no its not a good sign. But I hope West can infuse into the D too.....and maybe we get more of a system to the D that we can rely on.

That UGA OL is probably a better coach than over half our assistants. It is what it is. The quality of coaches at the factories like Bama, UGA, Clemson, FSU etc is WAY up there.

Tech pays low for asst. True. Tech support staff non-coaches some of the lowest in the NCAA. True. The fact we compete in the upper half is a miracle.

Greg is a good guy and great supporter of tech. And he puts his money where his mouth is so glad he offers his insight.
Not sure about West's D credentials. I think he was either DC or co-DC at UNC when it had terrible defenses.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer

Absolutely. This is why the problems start at the top--and yes, we have problems. Again, they start at the top. And the top is not the coaches.

Homer Rice retired leaving money in the bank. Homer was a fund raiser, which is job one for an AD. Clough, who supposedly used to be a Tech man, hired his buddy Braine from VT, who sat on his fat butt in his palatial office, wasted money, and did not do fund meaningful raising. Clough and Braine started the downfall of the GTAA.

I can tell stories about both fund raising miracles by Homer and money waste by Braine.

Radakovich would have been OK as an AD if he had come in after Homer, and not Braine. He was primarily a financial guy--which is different from a fund raiser--and I believe he was frustrated by what he inherited, so he left.

Maybe Bobinski is a better fund raiser with the big money guys than I believe he is. Maybe. If Bobinski exists, and I have no direct evidence that he does, he alienated a 30 year AT contributor--me-- by being non-responsive to the only inquiry I made to him. I am not a big money contributor, but what I used to contribute adds up over 30 years.

GT's number one need is to have a GTAA Board that is dominated by business savvy alumni and friends rather than academic types. Compare the makeup of UGa's board to GT's. The number 2 need is to hire an AD who is a fund raiser.

The rest of the issues--like a 3-9 season and mediocre basketball--pale in comparison.