Gregg Garrett at Lunch Bunch via Hive

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Not sure about West's D credentials. I think he was either DC or co-DC at UNC when it had terrible defenses.

Unc had many more issues than the lb coach. Not sure i could credit him for that disaster. But my point is adding some life to a really predictable scheme.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If Bobinski exists, and I have no direct evidence that he does, he alienated a 30 year AT contributor--me-- by being non-responsive to the only inquiry I made to him. I am not a big money contributor, but what I used to contribute adds up over 30 years.

I met this guy one time at a Dunkin Donuts store who told me that he had a neighbor whose uncle was a partner in a downtown law firm where a junior partner had a second cousin in the home repair business who will swear under oath that he has actually met MBob. I cannot confirm the validity of this report but the guy seemed sincere and he told it with conviction. If it a lie, he has rehearsed it well. He had me believing that the guy is real. I don't try to convince anyone else or convert them to the "MBob is a real person" camp....I just share this story and will let the reader decide for his or her self. But if you ask me if I believe, I have to say "yes".

GTFLETCH

Banned
Absolutely. This is why the problems start at the top--and yes, we have problems. Again, they start at the top. And the top is not the coaches.

Homer Rice retired leaving money in the bank. Homer was a fund raiser, which is job one for an AD. Clough, who supposedly used to be a Tech man, hired his buddy Braine from VT, who sat on his fat butt in his palatial office, wasted money, and did not do fund meaningful raising. Clough and Braine started the downfall of the GTAA.

I can tell stories about both fund raising miracles by Homer and money waste by Braine.

Radakovich would have been OK as an AD if he had come in after Homer, and not Braine. He was primarily a financial guy--which is different from a fund raiser--and I believe he was frustrated by what he inherited, so he left.

Maybe Bobinski is a better fund raiser with the big money guys than I believe he is. Maybe. If Bobinski exists, and I have no direct evidence that he does, he alienated a 30 year AT contributor--me-- by being non-responsive to the only inquiry I made to him. I am not a big money contributor, but what I used to contribute adds up over 30 years.

GT's number one need is to have a GTAA Board that is dominated by business savvy alumni and friends rather than academic types. Compare the makeup of UGa's board to GT's. The number 2 need is to hire an AD who is a fund raiser.

The rest of the issues--like a 3-9 season and mediocre basketball--pale in comparison.

It maybe time to accept the fact that with all our money problems we should think hard about taking our sports to the AAC (G5)... We are trying to operate our AD and all sports like a service academy.... Unless the HILL and Donors get serious we will look like Wake Forest more often then Clemson/FSU or Duke/UNC...

At least in the AAC we could compete every year in every sport!!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I met this guy one time at a Dunkin Donuts store who told me that he had a neighbor whose uncle was a partner in a downtown law firm where a junior partner had a second cousin in the home repair business who will swear under oath that he has actually met MBob. I cannot confirm the validity of this report but the guy seemed sincere and he told it with conviction. If it a lie, he has rehearsed it well. He had me believing that the guy is real. I don't try to convince anyone else or convert them to the "MBob is a real person" camp....I just share this story and will let the reader decide for his or her self. But if you ask me if I believe, I have to say "yes".
If you got it at Dunkin Doughnuts it has to be true.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
After last year and all the good PR it brought us, the President needs to realize the importance of athletics. He needs to make sports a top priority. He must realize the money and support Alabama and Clemson raked in this year. That includes donations, contributions, and funds that not only helps sports, but academics as well.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
After last year and all the good PR it brought us, the President needs to realize the importance of athletics. He needs to make sports a top priority. He must realize the money and support Alabama and Clemson raked in this year. That includes donations, contributions, and funds that not only helps sports, but academics as well.
I don't know if the same applies to a school like Georgia Tech, but I think it is a given that applications increase greatly the year after a great football year. Wonder how it was after '14 for Tech.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
jacketup is right, some may gloss over it. One of the first things our president and AD can do is make the GT board and GTAA board more business savy progressionists vs a bunch of professors and academia's that sit on it now. This is a gross error by our administration they don't seem to want to remedy.

I don't think Bobinski is doing a bad job, but like the 2 AD's before him there is a presence at tech that tells the AD "this is off limits" and its not at other schools. It sucks. But GT is ok with the embarrassments and getting wiped by UGA. They just are. Do they desire to win. Sure. But the desire to win won't make them tweak the system enough to help the program out. And I am not talking about letting idiots in or adding majors....just smaller stuff to help.