Green Wave gears up for ground-proud Georgia Tech

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
If the Tulane football team appeared unprepared for what hit it against Duke last Thursday, a lack of familiarity should not be a problem this Saturday at Georgia Tech.

The Green Wave defense has been practicing for the Yellow Jackets’ triple option since the beginning of spring drills, taking extra time to get ready for a throwback style it will face repeatedly this season.

http://theadvocate.com/sports/13385667-128/green-wave-gears-up-for

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Their coaches seem to think they did well defending us last year. I'd say that probably had more to do with it being early in the season for us. Had we faced them in game 7 or later it would've been a different story.

That said, I don't remember it being a difficult day for us. Am I mis-remembering that?

Lastly, I'm happy to hear they're researching high school teams that were successful at defending the option. :rolleyes:

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Their coaches seem to think they did well defending us last year. I'd say that probably had more to do with it being early in the season for us. Had we faced them in game 7 or later it would've been a different story.

That said, I don't remember it being a difficult day for us. Am I mis-remembering that?

Lastly, I'm happy to hear they're researching high school teams that were successful at defending the option. :rolleyes:
it was a difficult first half. Ball security was a bit rough too.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
What they don't seem to realize is that since they played us last season, OUR Offense also started just running RIGHT AT Defensive Lines, blowing them away when they're expecting cut blocks, etc, so if they're expecting a repeat of last season, then they're in for a rude awakening.

slugboy

Staff member
It was very hot on Tulane's field; so hot that our players were complaining that their feet were burning. Conditioning and depth were causing huge problems in that game.

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
Pretty sure it was grass. Comparing the game this year with last year will be like apples to oranges as many have suggested. Those on Tulane that thought they remember will find out they don't.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
They would not let us bring the ramblin wreck on their new turf if I remember correctly. They may have the same team, but we don't.

Kevin Donnelly

Georgia Tech Fan
Worth remembering - the article mentions that both Army and Navy are on their schedule this year, but Navy is a conference game for them. Makes complete sense to spend time preparing for CPJ's particular style of offense.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Quayshawn's pick and return from right in front of the goal line was huge at the time. We put the pedal down in the second half but the first half was pretty ragged.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Thomas was 3-8 for 15 yards and a pick. I don't think we will have that bad of a passing game again. Rushing-wise we went 344 yards on 57 carries (average of 6.0). That's pretty much at average for the season (56.4 carries, 342.1 ypg).

Look at our drives - fumble on the first play of the first drive. Fumble on the first play of the third drive. We punted on the 4th drive after Bostic lost 2 yards and JT threw two incomplete passes. Missed a FG on the fifth drive. Threw a pick on the second drive of the second half.

We were generally successful on offense, despite 3 turnovers, and scored 38 points on the road. I think you are probably looking at a minimum of 35-38 points, with a greater likelihood of less turnovers and 45-50 points.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Why would the DC think Tulane can be "successful" of they force Tech to "grind it out"? In all his checking about he apparently didn't look at tapes of Georgia, FSU and MSU. At the same time, the board can use a bit of deep breathing exercises and get off the ND fixation until we get past Saturday.