Great read--GS fan pays tribute to GT grad uncle

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
Not sure how long I've been a member here but have been happy to just read the comments from all of you that know much more than I. But, I have to comment on that article...that is what families, football and treasured memories are all about and if it doesn't moisten up the old eyes you have no heart. Thank you for sharing that.

Stonewall

Jolly Good Fellow
Not sure how long I've been a member here but have been happy to just read the comments from all of you that know much more than I. But, I have to comment on that article...that is what families, football and treasured memories are all about and if it doesn't moisten up the old eyes you have no heart. Thank you for sharing that.
+1,000. i was living in southern california this time last year and it absolutely sucked being away from my blood relatives and my "football family". it truly is a way of life in the southern states and, yeah, at times we get wayyyy too caught up in it. but, for as long as i can remember in my family, sporting events and the love of football, in particular, has brought us together more than holidays.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thanks for that. You guys are going to laugh at me, but I have to admit I had tears in my eyes climbing the stairs to the upper north Saturday. I was just so thankful for the ability to attend games again. I understand this reflection piece totally.

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
sorry to hear that . . . my grandfather was stricken with dementia a few years before he passed. diseases that rob folks of their identity are brutal.
Stonewall, your grandfather is not robbed of his identity as long as you cherish your memory of him. My mom and mother-in-law had Alzheimer's. I don't choose to remember the awful disease or its effect; I choose to cherish the wonderful memories that I have of them.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
This reminded me of my Mom and Dad , both passed away over the past year and a half . My Mom got to watch Will play his Soph year , Wills JR year , I brought my father to his home games . Franklin County has a cannon that they fire , every time that went off it would excite my Dad . Football is deeper than most will admit , it brings families and friends together . Remember the good times and cherish the moments . I got to take my Father to one of Justins baseball games at UGA , after the game he had chili dogs at the Varsity w his two grandsons , He later told me that was his favorite day ... Fathers and Grandfathers are the BEST !

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
This reminded me of my Mom and Dad , both passed away over the past year and a half . My Mom got to watch Will play his Soph year , Wills JR year , I brought my father to his home games . Franklin County has a cannon that they fire , every time that went off it would excite my Dad . Football is deeper than most will admit , it brings families and friends together . Remember the good times and cherish the moments . I got to take my Father to one of Justins baseball games at UGA , after the game he had chili dogs at the Varsity w his two grandsons , He later told me that was his favorite day ... Fathers and Grandfathers are the BEST !
My condolences on losing both parents in close succession. Some of my best childhood memories involve sports and the grandparents as well, especially going to my grandfather's service station and then getting lunch at Varsity Jr before heading down to watch the UGA-GT Freshman game at Bobby Dodd.

Stonewall

Jolly Good Fellow
Stonewall, your grandfather is not robbed of his identity as long as you cherish your memory of him. My mom and mother-in-law had Alzheimer's. I don't choose to remember the awful disease or its effect; I choose to cherish the wonderful memories that I have of them.
well put! and, i've learned to put the great memories we had together ahead of his last few years of life.

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
Figured I'd see what was going on gtswarm and read a little while on the throne. Turns out I dang near started crying. Dang, that was touchy.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Great read.
For all those old enough to have lost loved ones to death or mental health related issues, you will appreciate the article. For those lucky enough not to have either happen yet, I am sure you can empathize.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
My condolences on losing both parents in close succession. Some of my best childhood memories involve sports and the grandparents as well, especially going to my grandfather's service station and then getting lunch at Varsity Jr before heading down to watch the UGA-GT Freshman game at Bobby Dodd.
I had many a meal at the JR Varsity. The dogs were better there. My Dad coached close to there. I tried to take my sons there and it was closed ... I have many good memories of the JR Varsity !

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I had many a meal at the JR Varsity. The dogs were better there. My Dad coached close to there. I tried to take my sons there and it was closed ... I have many good memories of the JR Varsity !

not trying to hijack but the best dogs I've ever tasted were at the Economy on Atlanta road in Marietta. Lord its been closed for probably 40 years or more now :(