Great blitz or poor OL?

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Odd though that he injured himself by means of his own legs. Basically the same with Snoddy. I was starting to really be concerned about the playing field. Possibly it had been cold enough the night or two before to basically freeze the dirt or somehow change the feel of the sod.
Bruce, didn't we have cleat issues on their field last year?

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
It wasn't just a lucky guess at all. It was film study + formation + what the offense did in the first second after the snap + break on the ball + ball skills + speed = pic 6.

It was also the right place on the field to make a calculated risk as it looked like a Clemson TD was likely from the 10 yard line. Such a gamble in your own terf may not have been the best risk to take but in this place on the field somebody needed to "make a play". Great job Golden!

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Odd though that he injured himself by means of his own legs. Basically the same with Snoddy. I was starting to really be concerned about the playing field. Possibly it had been cold enough the night or two before to basically freeze the dirt or somehow change the feel of the sod.
I may be mistaken, but while watching the replay, I thought I saw Watson's knee get hit while being tackled a few plays before he injured himself. Is it possible that there was a little bit of a cumulative effect?

LostAsHogansGoat

Georgia Tech Fan
If I may, I'm going to respond to the original post about what is going on with this play. I am actually going to defend the OL while throwing the RB under the bus. It looks as if Clemson is running zone to the left side of the line. Each lineman,including the center, responsible for the gap to his left. The right side of the line is big on big. The RG has to keep an eye on the nose, who could slide into his A gap, and the RT has the DE. The RB is responsible for the inside LB 1st and the outside LB 2nd. The QB and a wide receiver are responsible for the outside LB if both LB's blitz. The RB is a RFr. He steps to the outside LB first, and when he realizes his mistake, he whiffs on the inside LB. The OL on the right side is an experienced group. Center: RJr. RG: RGr. and RT: RSr. Not showing the blitz early was enough to confuse the young RB.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I may be mistaken, but while watching the replay, I thought I saw Watson's knee get hit while being tackled a few plays before he injured himself. Is it possible that there was a little bit of a cumulative effect?
Watson was getting hammered on almost every play. I honestly did not expect him to last the whole game, though I was predicting a different injury from this one.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Watson was getting hammered on almost every play. I honestly did not expect him to last the whole game, though I was predicting a different injury from this one.

Good point. I didn't think the hand would hold up all game. He was making yards but was paying a hefty price thanks mainly to PD40.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
Another datum on this. When our D was ranked worse than #100, two other Power5 D's were close to as bad, USCe and Texas Tech.

Texas Tech's DC is now saying about his defensive signals, "They have been passed around. I know other coaches have called and our signals have been passed around the whole time."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf...r-coach-is-giving-away-signals-202150678.html
@AE 87, I must have missed you mentioning this stuff earlier. What leads you to believe that our defensive signals were stolen and passed around for a while? Is it based on your review of stats and the general performance of the defense or on something else?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
@AE 87, I must have missed you mentioning this stuff earlier. What leads you to believe that our defensive signals were stolen and passed around for a while? Is it based on your review of stats and the general performance of the defense or on something else?

Yes, "review of stats and the general performance of the defense" is the basic answer. For the last several years, our D had been ranked in the 50's or 60's in opponent-adjusted efficiency. In the second year of Roof's system it seemed unlikely to me that even without a best-solution at DE we would fall to the 100's.