Great blitz or poor OL?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I wanted to say that I appreciate 33's comments on our D. I'm an old (believe it) OL and don't really know squat about how modern Ds play; it was a lot more basic when I played. It's good to read posts that clarify some of the D issues.

Sooooo … Thanks!

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
Slightly off topic, but the other thing that stood out in this game on Defense is how hard the guys were hitting -- cornerbacks, linebackers, safeties -- all of them -- getting shots in on Clemson skill position players the entire game.
I kept saying the entire game that it looks like Clemson was trying to injure their QBs the way they were running them. I knew that they wouldn't be able to take that kind of punishment the entire game... and they couldn't.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I kept saying the entire game that it looks like Clemson was trying to injure their QBs the way they were running them. I knew that they wouldn't be able to take that kind of punishment the entire game... and they couldn't.
Odd though that he injured himself by means of his own legs. Basically the same with Snoddy. I was starting to really be concerned about the playing field. Possibly it had been cold enough the night or two before to basically freeze the dirt or somehow change the feel of the sod.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
People have not been listening to me. Our D signals were ripped, and Chad didn't get the memo that we finally caught on.

Another datum on this. When our D was ranked worse than #100, two other Power5 D's were close to as bad, USCe and Texas Tech.

Texas Tech's DC is now saying about his defensive signals, "They have been passed around. I know other coaches have called and our signals have been passed around the whole time."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf...r-coach-is-giving-away-signals-202150678.html

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
Another datum on this. When our D was ranked worse than #100, two other Power5 D's were close to as bad, USCe and Texas Tech.

Texas Tech's DC is now saying about his defensive signals, "They have been passed around. I know other coaches have called and our signals have been passed around the whole time."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf...r-coach-is-giving-away-signals-202150678.html
Time to break out the matrix of calls on the players' sleeves... Of course signals get ripped. A freshman with a computer and tape could figure them out. It is the coaches job to protect the signals from sight and change them as needed... This is a huge plus to CPJ giving the call to an A-back vs the goofy signal boards that everyone can see. He does need to cover his mouth to prevent lip reading though...

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
...This is a huge plus to CPJ giving the call to an A-back vs the goofy signal boards that everyone can see. He does need to cover his mouth to prevent lip reading though...

What is interesting to me is I watch CPJ give the play to the AB and he might as well be reciting war and peace for how long it takes. Then the AB gets to huddle and says like one word to the QB.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
• The Universe re: Clemson’s Offense: Clemson spent an entire month waiting for true-freshman quarterback Deshaun Watson to return from a hand injury, only to watch Watson go down again with an apparent knee injury in the first quarter of Saturday’s loss to Georgia Tech. With their phenom indisposed, the Tigers turned back to senior Cole Stoudt, who embraced the opportunity by stinking up the entire city of Atlanta: By the end of the third quarter, Stoudt had completed as many passes to Yellow Jackets defenders (three) as he did to his own receivers on 11 attempts, two of which were returned directly for Georgia Tech touchdowns. Stoudt was benched in the fourth quarter, but it was far too late to stave off a 28-6 thrashing engineered overwhelmingly by the ineptitude of the Clemson offense.

The only solace: Watson is considered “day to day” with a sprained LCL and bone bruise, and could be back in the lineup in two weeks for the season-ending rivalry matchup with South Carolina. If he’s not, given the prowess of Clemson’s defense and the state of the Gamecocks offense, the Tigers might want to consider punting on first down.

grantland.com/the-triangle/col...te-todd-gurley/

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I wanted to say that I appreciate 33's comments on our D. I'm an old (believe it) OL and don't really know squat about how modern Ds play; it was a lot more basic when I played. It's good to read posts that clarify some of the D issues.

Sooooo … Thanks!
x2 on the appreciation!

Animal02

Banned

Sooooo … Thanks!
Same here.......played OL and not D (many years ago too) One thing I noticed on the replay......on Golden's interception.......was the Clemp back went in motion, our CB seemed to motion for golden to shift and Golden waved him off, making the CB move with the motion and Golden stayed put.......read the screen and moved in for the pick........luck?.... or great film study knowing what was happening?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

HHmmmmm, so our friends the Flukies had the signals too?? Next year is going to be fun.