Grade the hires of the new GT Football staff

GTG768B

Jolly Good Fellow
Just an honest question - is anyone concerned that so many positions are filled with Tech alums? Too much herd mentality? Or would the benefits of alums knowledge and experience of Tech outweigh all else?

I think it's awesome. These aren't nepotistic hires that were hired purely because they are "Tech men," but rather these are good coaches, all with good careers to this point, who would be great hires even if they weren't Tech men. We have a lot of guys who were nominated for Broyles awards on staff. The alumni status just lends some additional familiarity with our unique situation.

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
Not sure I would want someone to come at my house at 12:01

If my child was being recruited for a scholarship to a P5 program to play football and these guys wanted to come to my house at midnight so we could talk,
I'd ask "how you want your hash browns this time"?
Because, we are having this meeting lol
Maybe waffle house or my house, but it is happening

AnAmericanNerd

Georgia Tech Fan
I think it’s an A on the coaching hires. Been very impressed with CGC so far. We’ll see if he can close out recruiting well. I think that will tell us a lot about the strength of this coaching staff.
Tashard Choice was probably my favorite hire, with Brent Key being a close second.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Just an honest question - is anyone concerned that so many positions are filled with Tech alums? Too much herd mentality? Or would the benefits of alums knowledge and experience of Tech outweigh all else?

IMO the question to ask is would they have been hired without the GT connection. WRT Collins the answer is maybe. I don't think he would have been the top choice, or damn near close to it, like he was without the GT connection, but his GT connection, moreso the time he spent as a coach here, and that it is a plus that he has that experience, but it isn't the only reason. Key would be a phenomenal hire with or without the GT connection and it's probably the reason we were able to lure him away which is great. Otherwise I think most of the GT grads are guys that Collins coached with along the way which makes sense he would go with those he knew. Only one I see as maybe an issue is Choice since he was basically one year coach prior, and think no way he gets the job if he wasn't a GT grad but I personally don't mind that for a position coach.

Bule

Jolly Good Fellow
IMO the question to ask is would they have been hired without the GT connection. WRT Collins the answer is maybe. I don't think he would have been the top choice, or damn near close to it, like he was without the GT connection, but his GT connection, moreso the time he spent as a coach here, and that it is a plus that he has that experience, but it isn't the only reason. Key would be a phenomenal hire with or without the GT connection and it's probably the reason we were able to lure him away which is great. Otherwise I think most of the GT grads are guys that Collins coached with along the way which makes sense he would go with those he knew. Only one I see as maybe an issue is Choice since he was basically one year coach prior, and think no way he gets the job if he wasn't a GT grad but I personally don't mind that for a position coach.
I think choice was a value hire. Given that we spent a little extra money on a couple on the staff such as Key because of their high level of experience and desirability we needed some risky hires with big upside. Choice is a good example of that because he is a known quantity to us as a fireball and magnetic personality, was already nominated as a top RB coach last season, knows and loves GT, and kids will listen to him because of his high level of success in college and in the NFL.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
56D12DB8-4DBE-4545-9C00-93F88C15888A.jpeg

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I'm pretty happy. I'd have liked a few more guys with P5 coaching experience, but I think we've got a lot of up and coming talent on staff.

I would have also liked a former HC or 2 for CGC to bounce ideas off of. He's basically the only guy with head man experience on his team. I think Andy Mac could have been a good match for this role, but such is life.

Andy will get a coaching job.
His option at tech may have gone down w the behind the scenes Key offer/ accept.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I like what they’re saying. Now let’s see if they can win...

FWIW, I liked what Pastner said too, but here we are in year three with very little to show so far.

Just win, baby...

I like what they’re saying. Now let’s see if they can win...

FWIW, I liked what Pastner said too, but here we are in year three with very little to show so far.

Just win, baby...
Pastner is proving what so many of us have said ---- it's just hard to recruit quality players to Tech. It's not like he hasn't been trying to; the big ones have just not wanted to come here. Let's hope that CGC doesn't find the same is true in football.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I hope you don't think these were unexpected drop-ins. All of those visits were pre-scheduled. Don't you know those players and their families had to feel special knowing that they were the first to be visited by the new staff? I know I would.
I still remember the first recruiting call I received on the morning of the first open period 17 years ago. A letter arrived that afternoon from the same coach; impressions are valuable. I also remember the coach who told me he wanted me to pitch (i was a catcher) the one who liked me as a switch hitting corner guy (wow so wrong) and believe that recruiting/evaluating/communicating shared value show commitment that lasts. I was seated next to the President of the school for dinner on the visit where I eventually committed (davidson) and the coach didn't sell playing time even with a roster of no returning catchers. In my final year, I accidentally went to the President's house instead of the faculty house for a formal graduation dinner, and I was welcomed, offered tea and asked about our chances against Furman.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
I’d give an A to some of the hires, but overall I’d say B+. I can see a lot of potential, but for me that’s true every off season. I do like that Collins has worked with pretty much every one of them extensively, so he knows what he’s getting. I also like all the GT connections because they know what they’re getting into, and probably have some appreciation for what GT offers. Given our budget restrictions, this looks like really good staff. I’m a huge CPJ fan and I really wanted to see him take a few more cracks at it, but I’m coming around on this staff. By the first game, I’ll be convinced we can win them all. We’ll see how it turns out.