Grade the hires of the new GT Football staff

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
I was wondering what the opinions of Collins coaching hires were. Who do you think is the best recruiter? Which coach has the biggest upside? Which position coach's players have the biggest learning curve ahead of them? Which coach will have the biggest impact?
Overall I think Collins has done a good job of surrounding himself with guys he knows and trusts. He has balanced the composition of the staff with guys who know his desires/playbook while also sprinkling in some new blood with people he has worked with or coached previously. This will enable him to personally go after recruiting efforts without neglecting the current roster of players/coaches in order to make sure everyone is properly prepared/coached.
It is going to be interesting to see how it all comes together.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
The big thing I see is that he has built a strong synergistic team, a young team that is very strong on recruiting, and highly motivated to succeed. A lot of this staff has been around Tech and are well aware of the hurdles unique to GT. If CGC can keep this team on the same page singing the same music, and I think he will, we have a very bright future.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

TechBurn

Jolly Good Fellow
Went recruiting at midnight!!
Maybe a show, but these guys are demonstrating they are going to hustle!
CGC likes the word relentless, & it appears they will be on the recruiting trail!!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Grade the hires of GT's new coaching staff = A. We are building a program.

Interesting to me how different this staff and approach is vs. CPJ. The last administration was CPJ and his shoe strings. There was no money to build a program.

We seem to be doing something completely different.

/
Do we have the data to say this staff is more $?
Previous staff were pretty senior types
Sewak - a co OP coach retired and had been a head coack.
Andy was a head coach.
I wonder if these younger guys are cheaper.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Grade the hires of GT's new coaching staff = A. We are building a program.

Interesting to me how different this staff and approach is vs. CPJ. The last administration was CPJ and his shoe strings. There was no money to build a program.

We seem to be doing something completely different.

/

$$ or not, you never saw the previous admin at recruits' houses at 12:01 AM! Not sure how much more it costs Coach Collins to put forth that kind of effort, if any, but I agree - it's definitely something different!

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm pretty happy. I'd have liked a few more guys with P5 coaching experience, but I think we've got a lot of up and coming talent on staff.

I would have also liked a former HC or 2 for CGC to bounce ideas off of. He's basically the only guy with head man experience on his team. I think Andy Mac could have been a good match for this role, but such is life.

crut

Helluva Engineer
The big thing I see is that he has built a strong synergistic team

This is a big thing I have noticed as well. They are all using the same language, expressing the same mindset, etc. Yesterday in the interviews, Nate Burton corrected an interviewer when they asked about the academic challenges at GT immediately saying, "they are challenges, they are benefits" or something like that. They have clearly set their brand and are following it unlike what we have seen before. If they can successfully sell that brand the program will go places.

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
A+
This will prove if recruiting has been a Tech problem or a coaching problem.

Yep, some people can't wait to say "see, I told you so" regardless of which side they fall on. Others will just choose to focus on the present and dream about what the future may hold.

I give them an A so far. Don't want them to get complacent thinking there's no room for improvement. ;)

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Although I realize results will truly tell the tale, they've done an A+ job so far.

Things were becoming a bit stagnant which, for me, was more indicative of time than ability in CPJ.

The new staff brings an energy that we've sorely needed.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Just an honest question - is anyone concerned that so many positions are filled with Tech alums? Too much herd mentality? Or would the benefits of alums knowledge and experience of Tech outweigh all else?