Gotsis is 100% Confident in DL

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Snicker if you will but he was an all state TE in Ohio and I think he would have had a full scholarship to play TE at OSU had he not decided to go to the NBA.
... well he made the right "life decision"... but he happens to be the "1" in one in a million...

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I don't know why people think our DL hopes rely on how well our #4 DT can produce. I sure hope Corey Dennis performs well this year or our WR core is gonna suck.

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't know why people think our DL hopes rely on how well our #4 DT can produce. I sure hope Corey Dennis performs well this year or our WR core is gonna suck.
Not the same thing at all. You've obviously never played in the trenches. Depth plays in a lot more.

jeffgt14

Not the same thing at all. You've obviously never played in the trenches. Depth plays in a lot more.
I agree but it’s not like Kallon is not good quality depth. He has all the physical tools to be able to come on the field every now and then and make a difference at DT. He is inexperienced but he I am more than happy knowing that someone with his skillset is our #4 DT.

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree but it’s not like Kallon is not good quality depth. He has all the physical tools to be able to come on the field every now and then and make a difference at DT. He is inexperienced but he I am more than happy knowing that someone with his skillset is our #4 DT.
He's an injury or two away from being a starter is a worry. It's not that he's not talented. It's a matter if he'll be ready to contribute at a high level consistently. Because that's what we could need from him. If the injury bug strikes and he and gamble aren't ready, then we are in deep kimshee.

jeffgt14

He's an injury or two away from being a starter is a worry. It's not that he's not talented. It's a matter if he'll be ready to contribute at a high level consistently. Because that's what we could need from him. If the injury bug strikes and he and gamble aren't ready, then we are in deep kimshee.
You could say the same thing about many positions. What if Laskey or Shaq get hurt? Heck I’d be more concerned if Chris Griffin got hurt at LT.

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
But we seem to be unfairly zeroing in on Kallon.
I'm not sure how we got on him. The DT position concerns me due to the lack of youth and bodies. We lost a lot of developing talent and now numbers are slim. Kyle Travis has been moved down there to provide depth and is third string at 250 pounds.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
[QUOTE="

Kallon can be a great football player. IMO it's a really monumental task though. However given his size and athleticism it's worth developing him even if you only get a year or two out of him. Just my $.02.[/QUOTE]

Every player ever recruited is worth it if you get 1 or 2 good years out of them. That is pretty much how things are set up. 85 schollies and 22 positions. But I get what you are saying. Getting more quality time out of a kid than that is gravy.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
"And in rugby you seldom want to tackle to the ground, you always go for the strip so tackling technique is completely different."

I'm by no means a rugby expert having only played a year on the tech team, but this is not what I remember being taught. You win the ball once it's on the ground by way of ruck. You tackle to the ground even if the guy has passed the ball, and it's actually illegal to not wrap up on a tackle.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The cultural angle is really important. I remember going to the 96 Olympics and a lot of baseball games. I knew from visiting the year before that the Dutch had put a major effort into baseball; there were diamonds all over the country. And why not? If you look around in Holland, most everybody looks like they could be decent bball players.

So I went to see the Dutch play (I think) the Nicaraguans. Their starting pitcher: 6'7", 230. He looked like Randy Johnson. And the Nicaraguans absolutely killed him. Why? Because apparently nobody on the Dutch coaching staff had taught their pitchers to follow though on their throws. The guy was stopping his motion about 2/3rds through and throwing almost entirely with his arm. Why did this happen? Because deep down inside the Dutch didn't know much about baseball.

Oh, and they couldn't hit either.

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
"And in rugby you seldom want to tackle to the ground, you always go for the strip so tackling technique is completely different."

I'm by no means a rugby expert having only played a year on the tech team, but this is not what I remember being taught. You win the ball once it's on the ground by way of ruck. You tackle to the ground even if the guy has passed the ball, and it's actually illegal to not wrap up on a tackle.
Yeah, the only difference I remember in tackling is that you tackle with your head behind the ball carrier so he doesn't knee your teeth out.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yeah, the only difference I remember in tackling is that you tackle with your head behind the ball carrier so he doesn't knee your teeth out.

I remember wrapping up a RB about 100 pounds heavier than I was. He proceeded to knee me in the head every step he took for 5 yards. Hell of a ride that I still remember 30+ years later. Gotta protect the head and remember the law of gross tonnage.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The cultural angle is really important. I remember going to the 96 Olympics and a lot of baseball games. I knew from visiting the year before that the Dutch had put a major effort into baseball; there were diamonds all over the country. And why not? If you look around in Holland, most everybody looks like they could be decent bball players.

So I went to see the Dutch play (I think) the Nicaraguans. Their starting pitcher: 6'7", 230. He looked like Randy Johnson. And the Nicaraguans absolutely killed him. Why? Because apparently nobody on the Dutch coaching staff had taught their pitchers to follow though on their throws. The guy was stopping his motion about 2/3rds through and throwing almost entirely with his arm. Why did this happen? Because deep down inside the Dutch didn't know much about baseball.

Oh, and they couldn't hit either.
I was at that very game. A couple others too.

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
I remember wrapping up a RB about 100 pounds heavier than I was. He proceeded to knee me in the head every step he took for 5 yards. Hell of a ride that I still remember 30+ years later. Gotta protect the head and remember the law of gross tonnage.
That sounds like a good sized running back haha. That's why we have these wonderful things called helmets and facemasks. I remember hating getting knees in the face, but tackling in football with the head in front is a critical part of making a good fundamentally sound tackle. In rugby you will legitimately loose your teeth if you don't tackle with the head behind.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
If you're getting kneed in the face, aim higher. Head in front during a rugby game resulted in shards of my collarbone puncturing my lung. Shoulderpads are awesome.