Good Article on JP Mason

LibertyTurns

Banned
Do you honestly think a guy who could barely get on the field on the worst SEC team can be compared to a guy who was widely considered one of the top tackles in the conference last year? A guy who didn’t even make it to the senior bowl vs. a guy who could’ve been drafted last year had he declared? Also, another guy who played in every game at a much better school, started 18 straight and only lost his starting spot because the offensive scheme changed? Be better man
They played on the same team didn’t they or are there 2 Vandy’s in the SEC? We also have DeFoor who played at Ole Piss. Maybe you’re not one of the ones yacking about the SEC transfers, but I hope this guy’s better than the last Vandy transfer we got. I’m hopeful we can develop the recruits we got. I also hope we no longer need these 1 year eligible graduate transfers soon. Anyway, I hope we’re not battling Vandy for the worst D1 offense again this year.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
They played on the same team didn’t they or are there 2 Vandy’s in the SEC? We also have DeFoor who played at Ole Piss. Maybe you’re not one of the ones yacking about the SEC transfers, but I hope this guy’s better than the last Vandy transfer we got. I’m hopeful we can develop the recruits we got. I also hope we no longer need these 1 year eligible graduate transfers soon. Anyway, I hope we’re not battling Vandy for the worst D1 offense again this year.

I think there's a pretty obvious and noticeable difference between Cochran and southers.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
Cochran is much more highly regarded than Southers was. Defoor barely played at Ole Miss. Both Cochran and Johnson have extensive starting experience at their previous schools. I am expecting much more from them than what we got from Southers or Defoor.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Ah, my bad. I forgot playing on the same team or within the same conference made all players equal. I mean, Chase Brice transferring from Clemson is the same as Trevor Lawrence transferring out, right? Jordan Mason transferring is the same as Bruce Jordan-Swilling transferring? Jamie Newton = to Lucas Johnson? Jack Defoor transferring out as a sophomore with little to no playing time from Ole Miss would’ve been the same if Andrew Thomas transferred out of Georgia last year? C’mon man. At least try to think critically. I know it may be hard for a bunch of engineers, but I promise it will influence your life for the better.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think the one thing the article misses is that pro backs these days are rarely speed burners. I don't mean they are slow, but most of the really good ones are about as fast as Mason. The thing he has is what the good ones have: he's big, he runs through first hits, he knows how to create a hole, he can block, and he can catch. What the pros are looking for is durable guys who can do what Mason does. If they can get someone a touch faster, they'd be happy, but I expect Mason to be drafted and stick with whatever team gets him. And, yes, if we can keep the OL from the same injury spate we had last year, he'll get more notice.

Btw, though he probably won't be drafted, I expect Howard, who is pretty much the same as Mason, but runs a trifle harder, to be successful as a free agent. If these two were still the two-headed monster, I'd be even happier. But Griffin can fit for that.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Wow, guys win. He’s a draft pick for sure. We stole one from the vaunted Commodores of the NFL minor league Ess Eee Cee!!!!

You same guys were dissing Mason before the season started like a Freshman was just going to waltz in and kick him to the curb.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Ah, my bad. I forgot playing on the same team or within the same conference made all players equal. I mean, Chase Brice transferring from Clemson is the same as Trevor Lawrence transferring out, right? Jordan Mason transferring is the same as Bruce Jordan-Swilling transferring? Jamie Newton = to Lucas Johnson? Jack Defoor transferring out as a sophomore with little to no playing time from Ole Miss would’ve been the same if Andrew Thomas transferred out of Georgia last year? C’mon man. At least try to think critically. I know it may be hard for a bunch of engineers, but I promise it will influence your life for the better.
DeFoor played in 4 games as a sophomore at Ole Miss, about par for the course for an OL. I'm not sure why he transferred, but I doubt it was for more playing time. Especially since he didn't get it until last year. Again, right on course for an OL.

I do expect that Cochran or Stewart may start, but you never know. Transferring means a whole new situation where you have to convince a whole new staff of your merits. I've seen players - especially OLs - who have a hard time doing that until they get on the field. Shoot, John Davis didn't start until he went in as a reserve and started collapsing the DL opposite him. Everybody noticed that.

If we have a football season at all, that is.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Collins isn’t getting in transfers because they are potential All-Americans. He’s getting them in because of size! If you have 2 choices of 1) below average line with little dudes or 2) below average line with big dudes, you take size every time. The improvement of the line will come thru recruiting and Key not transfers. Right now, transfers are a stop gap so we simply don’t get shoved off the line at the snap like has been happening for a few seasons now. I expect our line to still be below average this year but we’ll at least have some beef to give our QB a little more time.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Devin Cochran had a NFL draft grade, would have been one of the top returning OLs in the SEC, and had one of the best pressure blocking rates of any OL in the SEC (better than two 1st round draft picks). But he's from Vandy so I guess that means nothing to some people.

If he plays like he did last season for Vandy, he'll be our best offensive tackle since Andrew Gardner. I fully expect him to play better under Key's coaching...which is a big factor for him choosing GT over schools like FSU and Tennese when he decided to transfer. He'll automatically slot into the LT position.

We literally upgraded our OL overnight with Cochran and Ryan Johnson. Johnson isn't the pro prospect Cochran is, but the guy will be solid OG, and outside of maybe Kenny Cooper and Cochran, will be one of our most talented OLs. There's a reason why Texas, FSU, Miami, Auburn wanted him when he announced he was transferring. Oh, he's also 6'6 300+ lbs...and ran the 400m in HS! He played all 3 OL positions at Tennessee, so there's a chance he could be our RT opposite Cochran depending on how everyone else performs.

I can promise you Jordan Mason is ecstatic to have these two blocking for him.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Well it has been a while since GT had a 1st round draft pick. Derrick Morgan? With him & Johnson there shouldn’t be any reason we see a repeat of last year then.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
DeFoor played in 4 games as a sophomore at Ole Miss, about par for the course for an OL. I'm not sure why he transferred, but I doubt it was for more playing time. Especially since he didn't get it until last year. Again, right on course for an OL.

I do expect that Cochran or Stewart may start, but you never know. Transferring means a whole new situation where you have to convince a whole new staff of your merits. I've seen players - especially OLs - who have a hard time doing that until they get on the field. Shoot, John Davis didn't start until he went in as a reserve and started collapsing the DL opposite him. Everybody noticed that.

If we have a football season at all, that is.

We had the worst OL in the P5 last year and Cochran is gonna get drafted. If he doesn’t start I might as well give up watching football because it makes no sense.

This is also the same DeFoor who is pre-season 2nd Team All ACC for 2020.

After Cooper went down we had maybe one P5-worthy starter on the OL (for the offense we were running). It was probably the least-talented P5 OL that’s been fielded in modern history.

We’re adding a draftable LT, P5-experienced OG/C with 30+ combined starts under their belt, and frosh bodies. It’s unfortunate we lost out on the spring for our EEs, but the OL will be up there with the most dramatic shifts of rosters of any team position group in the country.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
We had the worst OL in the P5 last year and Cochran is gonna get drafted. If he doesn’t start I might as well give up watching football because it makes no sense.

This is also the same DeFoor who is pre-season 2nd Team All ACC for 2020.

After Cooper went down we had maybe one P5-worthy starter on the OL (for the offense we were running). It was probably the least-talented P5 OL that’s been fielded in modern history.

We’re adding a draftable LT, P5-experienced OG/C with 30+ combined starts under their belt, and frosh bodies. It’s unfortunate we lost out on the spring for our EEs, but the OL will be up there with the most dramatic shifts of rosters of any team position group in the country.

We lose only Southers on the line. Add the 2 transfers, freshmen, and (hopefully) return Cooper from injury. Overall it's hard to imagine having the same degree of bad luck in the injury department as last year. We put a huge off-season focus on S&C for OL. And we have to be in so much better shape as far as technique and knowledge of the offense and what opposing defenses do as compared to last year. I'm really hoping for a lightbulb turning on kind of situation there where most have what has been learned clicks in automatically without having to think about it. That I think was the biggest stumbling block.

But even if all those things don't fall into place the way I hope, there's just no way we aren't significantly improved from last year's squad.

RE: Mason, I'm really excited to see if he can explode with better blocking. Especially in identifying assignments and not getting beat off the first move. JP is money making his way through the line when he has to work around and through contact, but so many times there was basically a free defender on him right at the start (and not an unblocked option read). If he can use his leg drive, quick feet, and vision a few more yards ahead, we can see something special.

I think the guy who will benefit most is Jamious. He really struggled to pick the right spots to attack as a freshman. His HS film looked totally different, but my read on that was him understanding and trusting his blocking rather than read and react.

I think Jahmyr could succeed behind any line, but when you've got too many free defenders it's harder to set them up and get free.

I'm excited to see what we can do next year. When a little starts working it opens up more. I worry about our ability to finish drives, but part of the beauty of next year is not being too invested in expecting wins, at least now.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think the guy who will benefit most is Jamious. He really struggled to pick the right spots to attack as a freshman. His HS film looked totally different, but my read on that was him understanding and trusting his blocking rather than read and react.
Yes. His biggest problem last year = he didn't create holes. He could in high school because he was faster then most of the D players he was up against; just turn on the jets and that'll do it. No longer.

But this is a skill and it can be learned. If Griffin got just a trifle bigger over the year then he can begin to make the creases work. He's talented.

But … I continue to think the best option off the bench after Mason is Howard. He had a higher YPC then Griffin and he's a harder runner. But (again) … the coaches think it's Griffin and they see them more then I do. Also, if OL play improves as much as you (and I) hope, then Griffin could probably exploit that better. And, btw, I don't expect Gibbs to see the field enough to blow his redshirt; too many upperclassmen above him on the list. But we'll see on all this.

If we have a football season, that is.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
Didn't Howard move to linebacker? Of course that may be because the coaches moved Griffin 2nd string, but regardless, it makes whether or not to use Howard a moot point.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer

It wasn't that we didn't have P5 OLs; it was that we couldn't keep them on the field as a unit for more then a game or two. The starting outfit was Quinney, Hansen, Cooper, DeFoor, and Southers; good enough to play and develop. And then people started to get hurt. Only Cooper missed the whole year, but, except for Quinney, nobody else was in there for the season. It was one big ding, game after game. Most teams never expect to play more then 7 OLs; we ended up playing - what? - 10 or 12? And that meant some non-scholarship players were out there a lot and nobody got a feel for the unit as a whole.

Well, if we have a season, there shouldn't be as much of a problem with depth. Still, we have to get the starting 5 out there for multiple games as a unit to have success. More then any other unit OLs need continuity.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Something else we're forgetting:

Bruce Jordan Swilling has moved to RB. He was a 4 star RB recruit in HS and more coveted there than LB.

Will be interesting to see him develop after shelving his RB instincts for 3 years.

RB is easily the most talented unit on the team.

LibertyTurns

Banned

Bruce Jordan Swilling has moved to RB. He was a 4 star RB recruit in HS and more coveted there than LB.

Will be interesting to see him develop after shelving his RB instincts for 3 years.

That’s a move I really don’t understand, but it only takes an injury or 2 & he’s in the running for a starting position. I wouldn’t count out a Swilling. Winning family.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

I would be interested to see if after 3 or 4 games if BJS is rusty at RB if he takes a RS year this year. He'll be a true senior.