Good Article on JP Mason

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I really like Mason. Great balance in the hole and good feet to change directions. Makes people miss. He doesn't have breakaway speed, but that is less important than his other qualities.
What did 247 say about him as a recruit:
In other words, they didn't think much of him, probably because they didn't like is 40 time. Goes to show that speed is not everything. He's from Tennessee, a Coach Mac recruit.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I really like Mason. Great balance in the hole and good feet to change directions. Makes people miss. He doesn't have breakaway speed, but that is less important than his other qualities.
What did 247 say about him as a recruit:
In other words, they didn't think much of him, probably because they didn't like is 40 time. Goes to show that speed is not everything. He's from Tennessee, a Coach Mac recruit.

He certainly isn't a burner, but his speed is also underrated. Rarely would he have an open lane where he just had to maintain leverage to get into the open field. Making cuts and breaking through arm tackles generally allows defenders to make up lost ground and get an angle on you.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This was from back in April. College football's hidden gems:

https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-who-are-college-footballs-hidden-offensive-gems
https://gtswarm.com/threads/2020-offseason-thread.20650/page-18#post-715663

JORDAN MASON, RB – GEORGIA TECH

Up against many obstacles, Jordan Mason proved himself as a legit running back during a rebuild at Tech in 2019 under Geoff Collins. Mason was the lone bright spot on the offense. His overall offensive grade of 86.1 was 20 (!) points higher than the next-highest Tech player who played at least 20 snaps.

Mason led the country in missed tackles forced per attempt with 0.44 and was eighth in yards after contact per attempt with 4.4. Most of those missed tackles were forced before the line of scrimmage, as Mason played behind one of the worst offensive lines in the entire country. Not one offensive linemen — whether he played one snap or 700 — graded above 60.9. There’s bad and there’s abysmal. This was abysmal. Mason’s 5.2 rushing yards per attempt is a modern miracle. Hopefully, Tech can shore up its front lines and Mason can showcase himself more than in 2019.

Mason will be fun to watch with an infusion of transfer OL talent, and our OLs coming back from injury. Our starting OL should at least be decent to average...which I'll take compared to last season.

It'll be a LOT more fun to force missed tackles on the second level as opposed to the first level. If he stays healthy, I expect him to be a an NFL pick...he's one of those runners GMs and scouts LOVE because it shows they did their homework, and he'll be contributor and out produces his draft slot.

Deleted member 2897

I hope he can make the NFL after this year and he goes for it. He’s earned it.

And while I love to see him get the respect, I also admit it’s tiring that our team has to be full of underrated people. There’s simply no excuse for him to be underrated after last year.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
If he has a good enough season where he declares after this year, I think we’re in pretty good shape.

Barring any injuries, our OL will be waaayyyyy better than last year.
Plus the fact that our O-line is gonna be better this season, and with the 2 transfers coming in and more experience I think he hit's 1000 yards easily.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
Plus the fact that our O-line is gonna be better this season, and with the 2 transfers coming in and more experience I think he hit's 1000 yards easily.

I recall Devin Cochran, the LT from Vanderbilt as a transfer. Who is the other transfer coming in that you are referring to?

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I hope he can make the NFL after this year and he goes for it. He’s earned it.

And while I love to see him get the respect, I also admit it’s tiring that our team has to be full of underrated people. There’s simply no excuse for him to be underrated after last year.

To be fair, we were 3-9 last year. It’s hard for me to blame college football folks all around the nation to keep up with the fact that we have a stud at running back when we didn’t even make a bowl game. The local media shouldn’t underrate him and, from what I’ve gathered, it seems a lot of the local media has given Mason his due. Even Buck Belue :yuck: talked highly of him on his show the week before COFH.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Didn’t we have an SEC transfer on the OL last season? If that guy didn’t grade out above 60.9, what makes you think the next 2 guys in are going to do any better? I hope they do, but last season didn’t exactly make a good argument for it being the case. I’m afraid it may be another 2 seasons before we seen much progress. I’m just glad we got Mason & I pray we’re smart enough to use him as we should this year.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If our starting OL can stay healthy (which is not likely, because injury along the lines are inevitable), we should have a decent starting OL group. It's going to be important to get the freshmen to step up. It hurts us that we didn't get a full summer or spring (we had some 2020 signees enroll early). We lost a lot of valuable development time. Yes, other teams lost it as well, but our freshmen OL will need to play a bigger role...and I don't give a sh!t about other teams :)

Oh...something else we haven't really brought up. There are two 4 star RBs right behind Mason. Gonna be no letup if Mason needs a breather.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Didn’t we have an SEC transfer on the OL last season? If that guy didn’t grade out above 60.9, what makes you think the next 2 guys in are going to do any better? I hope they do, but last season didn’t exactly make a good argument for it being the case. I’m afraid it may be another 2 seasons before we seen much progress. I’m just glad we got Mason & I pray we’re smart enough to use him as we should this year.

Here's one reason why:

BTW, Jack Driscoll got drafted in the 4th round, and Andrew Thomas and Isaiah Wilson got drafted in the first round.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Do you honestly think a guy who could barely get on the field on the worst SEC team can be compared to a guy who was widely considered one of the top tackles in the conference last year? A guy who didn’t even make it to the senior bowl vs. a guy who could’ve been drafted last year had he declared? Also, another guy who played in every game at a much better school, started 18 straight and only lost his starting spot because the offensive scheme changed? Be better man