Golf team starting strong

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
-1 T5 out of 15 teams nearing the turn. Ross Steelman is -3 and in sole possession of 1st overall for individuals at the moment. The back 9 seems to be playing a little easier than the front, judging strictly by the leaderboard so hopefully we can put up some good scores on the back and climb the leaderboard a bit.

Pups are T1 at -3 :confused:, Dook are tied with us at 5th, and Free Shoes are T8 at even.
Still tied for 5th after making the turn but now at one over. Top 6 ranked teams are getting ready to tee off. Wondering if this might be an advantage for us teeing off early as the heat will most likely dry the course out and cause it to play harder in the afternoon. Steelman is the only player under par for us.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Still tied for 5th after making the turn but now at one over. Top 6 ranked teams are getting ready to tee off. Wondering if this might be an advantage for us teeing off early as the heat will most likely dry the course out and cause it to play harder in the afternoon. Steelman is the only player under par for us.
Now tied for 1st at -3. Being carried by Steelman who is -5 low score for the day so far.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Now tied for 1st at -3. Being carried by Steelman who is -5 low score for the day so far.
Have to think that 3 more days of golf like this puts us in match play, yeah? I guess we'll see how the top teams do, all of whom are teeing off over the next 30 minutes.

Pepperdine is folding down the stretch and Steelman knocks in another birdie to climb to -6. We're in first place at -3 with 4 holes to play and lead the initial 15 teams by 4 strokes(!!) over 2nd place currently. 8th place / match play cutline is currently +3.

Last edited:

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
That course is set at par of 70. Two par 4's are over 500 yards (normally par 5's). One of the two par 5 holes is 650 yards. That 64 by Steelman is a great round of golf on a very difficult course.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Even with Steelman's -6 we ended up an even par for the round. This was low round of the day for the teams that went off early. Top 6 teams just teed off so we will have to wait and see how we match up with them. I still think there is an advantage to the early tee times as the afternoon heat dries the course and makes it that much more difficult. I assume we will flip tee times tomorrow and we will have to deal with that.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
How many advance, 8?
First 3 rounds of stroke play reduce it to 15 teams. Then on Monday those 15 teams get narrowed down to 8 with the final round of stroke play. Then Monday afternoon starts the quarterfinal round of match play. Semis on Tuesday and championship match play round on Wednesday.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
First 3 rounds of stroke play reduce it to 15 teams. Then on Monday those 15 teams get narrowed down to 8 with the final round of stroke play. Then Monday afternoon starts the quarterfinal round of match play. Semis on Tuesday and championship match play round on Wednesday.
wow, that's A LOT of golf.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
wow, that's A LOT of golf.
It really is a grind. Keep in mind they are playing in extreme heat with temps pushing 100 degrees each day. I think the guys have to carry their bags too (the women are allowed to use hand carts but not the men I believe).

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
It really is a grind. Keep in mind they are playing in extreme heat with temps pushing 100 degrees each day. I think the guys have to carry their bags too (the women are allowed to use hand carts but not the men I believe).
I stand corrected. The men can use hand carts as well (just saw it on a video of some of Steelman's shots from today's round on the Golf Channel web site).

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
A couple of the early tee times having a good day. Illinois is -6 and has now taken the team lead at -1. Arizona State, who is the host team, is -7 after 12 holes and has crawled up to +4. Meanwhile UNC is even for the day and remains at +2. #1 Vandy is +3 on the day and has fallen back to +5. We need to hope the course remains receptive to good shots for the late tee times and doesn't dry out too much to the point the greens won't hold.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Rebound birdies from Howe and Lamprecht. Don’t panic yet!

I had no rebound birdies in my round today but I could have used a few.
This is GT sports. We pre-panic, panic & then post-panic.

I gotta say we're 3rd now which normally given the circumstances I'd be ecstatic about BUT we're down one to the bastards up the road so it's hard not to be completely disgusted.