Going on the Record

How many games does Tech win next season?

• 0-3

• 7+

Results are only viewable after voting.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Here's me going on the record.. I think we win 4 games... After the season not only is Collins fired, but also Todd Stansbury is fired. You'd think that, at some point, GT would stop dishing out insane amounts of money to untested coaches... I think Long takes over in the 2023 season and starts getting the program turned around some. However; Collins set this program back 5 years, from ever becoming competitive again. That me...going on the record.
So we fire two folks Ann pay big bucks to an untested assistant. Very interesting concept.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone have any idea what those differences were?
Per Kelly, "Kelly admitted that he was mostly satisfied with the job that Long did as offensive coordinator and play-caller."

From what I read, there were 3 issues in retaining Long at ND. First, Kelly understood that Long was not a long-term solution as he would seek to become a HC somewhere and rumors were, after ND, he was headed to Alabama to be OC there. But that didn't pan out. Second, while ND had a great run under Long ... they did not execute well against elite opponents, specifically Georgia and Michigan and there was concern about that. Third, there was a lot of tension in the coaching staff about Long's hard charging style and how much he asked of his players, and Kelly's more CEO type of style. (There were rumors that the players did not like playing for Long because he was very demanding ... but they were successful too. Kelly denied that he discussed Long's performance with players, but did not deny the tension among the staff.)

Sounds to me like Kelly enjoyed the success Long brought but there was a clash of styles on the coaching staff and he wanted a more "collegiate" coach than one driving change. Which ironically, is what he was hired to do.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone have any idea what those differences were?
I think the knock on Chip Long was that while ND put up good numbers overall, their offense was anemic against some major foes:

"The Irish had experienced solid offensive output with Long in charge of calling the plays...Notre Dame ranked 13th among FBS schools in scoring average churning out 37 points per game. However the Irish offense was not immune to some poor performances in 2019.

Notre Dame managed just 17 points against then No. 3 Georgia in their first loss of the year and the most glaringly anemic performance came against Michigan when the Irish managed to put up just 14 points."

But there may have been some personal friction there, too. Brian Kelly doesn't have a reputation as someone easy to get along with.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
You may not realize that basketball team is in last place and next yr could be worst.Tstan has a HUGE problem with both programs and most of it is his fault. hmmmm
I don't know how the basketball team is Stansbury's fault. Plus, they're 1 year removed from winning the ACC and going to the tournament. Women's BB, Baseball, Golf, Tennis, and volleyball are all in good places, though I know they make no money. Stansbury navigated the planning for the new Edge center as well as the fundraising. I don't really know what you could ask for from a different AD besides firing Collins last year. Even then, we would be digging our hole bigger and deeper financially.

Jmonty71

Banned
I don't know how the basketball team is Stansbury's fault. Plus, they're 1 year removed from winning the ACC and going to the tournament. Women's BB, Baseball, Golf, Tennis, and volleyball are all in good places, though I know they make no money. Stansbury navigated the planning for the new Edge center as well as the fundraising. I don't really know what you could ask for from a different AD besides firing Collins last year. Even then, we would be digging our hole bigger and deeper financially.
I put it simply this way. What single sport generates the most money??? Is it women's basketball? Nope... Is it tennis?? Nope... You can go down the list and I am pretty sure that the football program leads the charge on revenue. So, as AD, I would focus more attention on your football program than baseball, softball, tennis, golf and basketball and others.... You cannot make stupid decisions in your main money making sport, while claiming victories for others that generate a small revenue. Seems like a great setup for failure, business wise....

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The only other thing that could have been asked of TStan is that he not hire Geoff Collins in the first place.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I went with 5, although after looking at the GT season records all time I think this might be the worst three year skid in history. Something has to change, and I don't think the coaching changes are going to be that impactful. We might be staring down at another 3-9 season and a new coach in 2023.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Tstan gave Pastner an extension even though it was plain that he had a size/talent problem for this yr AND next. .btw--is just MAKING the ncaa tourney (with a one and out record) ONCE every 4 yrs good enough? also don't hang your hat too much on "winning the ACC"--we actually won the tournament ,basically by getting a covid forfeit .It was a fine yr but also we are just coming off ncaa probation because of him.
You may not be aware that Pastner got ZERO recruits in Fall recruiting season and very doubtful he is going to make up for that now with this yrs record.

Maybe Tstan could have seen through the BS that was Collins and not signed him originally.Could he have done any worse? Someone has GOT to be to blame for the BAD .situation we are in.
Sorry to be so direct but I would like to go to a REAL bowl again before I die (literally)and I have my doubts at this point.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I'm lovin' this thread. The crow is gonna be flyin' fast n' furious this Fall, boys.

I'm gonna serve us so much breast n' thigh, they gonna call me the black Hugh Hefner.

I'm gonna pass out so much bird, it's gonna look like Thanksgivin' in October up in this b*tch. The mods gonna make me change my name to Hosea Williams.

Who's Hosea Williams? Google me, b*tch!

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Shiiiiiiiiii... by mid-September, I'mma be walkin' up in this camp like ....

vince mcmahon GIF

Walking In Vince Mcmahon GIF by WWE

It's gonna be glorious.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Tstan gave Pastner an extension even though it was plain that he had a size/talent problem for this yr AND next. .btw--is just MAKING the ncaa tourney (with a one and out record) ONCE every 4 yrs good enough? also don't hang your hat too much on "winning the ACC"--we actually won the tournament ,basically by getting a covid forfeit .It was a fine yr but also we are just coming off ncaa probation because of him.
You may not be aware that Pastner got ZERO recruits in Fall recruiting season and very doubtful he is going to make up for that now with this yrs record.

Maybe Tstan could have seen through the BS that was Collins and not signed him originally.Could he have done any worse? Someone has GOT to be to blame for the BAD .situation we are in.
Sorry to be so direct but I would like to go to a REAL bowl again before I die (literally)and I have my doubts at this point.
It was not seeing through Collns. Just a long, hard look at his record and stops, 10 or 11 of them, then rewind and take another look. The usual and typical hiring deal.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I'm lovin' this thread. The crow is gonna be flyin' fast n' furious this Fall, boys.

I'm gonna serve us so much breast n' thigh, they gonna call me the black Hugh Hefner.

I'm gonna pass out so much bird, it's gonna look like Thanksgivin' in October up in this b*tch. The mods gonna make me change my name to Hosea Williams.

Who's Hosea Williams? Google me, b*tch!

Shiiiiiiiiii... by mid-September, I'mma be walkin' up in this camp like ....

vince mcmahon GIF

Walking In Vince Mcmahon GIF by WWE

It's gonna be glorious.

My guy! Can’t wait to watch the service! It’ll be like Serena Williams slamming 🏸 🍦 down the throats of the doubters.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Maybe we all need to start hoping that the Coastal is even worse this year than it was last year
There is a pretty good chance that hope will come to fruition, which is why, even though I put down 4 wins, it is not out of the question for us to have a pretty mediocre team and still manage to get to 6 wins. I would think that to be the ceiling though.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Simply put, football is the straw that stirs the drink. Stansbury's made one really bad mistake and that was hitching his wagon to a fast talking promoter. That said, athletic directors have been fired for much less. Is it fair? Probably not, but this is a tough business as TStan and Coach Collins knew from the start.