Gofundme to hire a new DJ

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I remember one of Collins spring games they played it blaring the entire game. Literally. No chance to talk or converse without screaming the entire way.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I remember one of Collins spring games they played it blaring the entire game. Literally. No chance to talk or converse without screaming the entire way.
I’m old school for sure but it always seemed to me like the loud music was a way to cover up a dead crowd in a half empty stadium. I think if a stadium is packed with noisy fans you don’t want to drown out that experience.

The loud music feels like I’m standing in front of a midway freak show at the county fair.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Could it be that your seats are close to the speakers? Section 121 the volume was fine. People at a Metallica concert who have seats in front of the speaker hated it, those in the back love it

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Could it be that your seats are close to the speakers? Section 121 the volume was fine. People at a Metallica concert who have seats in front of the speaker hated it, those in the back love it
I am in the upper North, and during the first two home games, it was EXTREMELY loud. The volume at the BC game was much much better. The audio quality was still poor.

There are people who specialize in making sound systems sound good in most areas of arenas. Atlanta is full of entertainment professionals, and many who know how to set up sound systems in large arenas/stadiums. GT had a professor who had published articles about amp and speaker designs. There is still a professor who teaches that material. With the proximity of professionals, faculty with an understanding of the principles, and probably even many in the student body who understand and would love the opportunity to set up a system in a large venue, there is no excuse for the system at GT to be as bad as it is.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Where I sit it's not proximity to speakers. IMO it's not the overall volume. I believe the EQ on the sound is jacked causing the higher pitched sounds to become more piercing. It was better at the BC game until the second half, and even then it wasn't as bad as before.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Don't know if it was because of fan feedback, but it was much lower. I could still talk to people around me while the music was playing.

I still don't understand why the stadium doesn't have an excellent sound system. The school used to have a professor who had published papers and designs for amps and speakers. There is a current professor who teaches classes about those. I'm sure there are a lot of students who understand PA and speaker design. The city is famous for producing music. Someone from one of those groups should be able to design a PA/speaker system that would work well, and/or tune the system to sound very good. (Except unfortunately Dr. Leach wouldn't be able to do that now.)
Marshall Leach?? Great guy and terrific prof. He died way too young. He was there in the early 70's when I was there. He was one of the really good ones. Had lunch with him a few times on campus.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Forget about the DJ. Spend the money on a sound system that isn’t garbage
The important design has to get rid of dead spots and echos so that the sound is in phase as much as possible throughout the stadium. Not easy. I think they redid the audio system several years ago to get rid of echo/delay problems but still doesn't change the choice of music and amplitude. We also had a scoreboard that was interfering with cell phone frequencies. That was technically a violation of FCC Part 15 Rules. They did fix that.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
They did a couple of good things during the aweful 3 minute commercials.
1. We did the old favorite where East side yells YELLOW and West side responds with JACKETS. Would be better if we were playing better. As Engr school a decibel Drone in middle could send the level to the screen. Glad its back

We had this cheer with Houston - Oilers lawadd by wild looking guy names crazy george. He had a tambourine w little drum sick. Way better than canned video. .

2. The dance camera found a dancing fool who was actually pretty good. They kept the camera on him and he did a good micheal jackson thriller immitation. That could be a tradition ( music was not loud!!!)

3. The Tech Green had a great tent area fenced off for recruits. It was catered by Mary Mac Tea Room. Wienke, Coleman and Erin Joe were hosting - some guys got the vip tour. Kids felt welcome. Maybe they will be fans

4. Prez and wife were at player walk up greeting fans

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Maybe we can use some of the funds from our newly minted “Longhorn Steakhouse Redzone”?

If it weren’t for our fourth quarter disaster yesterday I think that revelation would be the talk of the town.

Waynes World Movie GIF

rdhanson.atl

Georgia Tech Fan
Maybe we can use some of the funds from our newly minted “Longhorn Steakhouse Redzone”?

If it weren’t for our fourth quarter disaster yesterday I think that revelation would be the talk of the town.
In honor of our new sponsor, I propose rating each red zone situation with a steak term. Was it "well done?" P:rime?? Rare??? Or just kinda medium?

Tadams6599

Jolly Good Fellow
After the bowling green game and getting my ear drums pummeled by HIgh Pitch out of tune crappy sound system, I decided I enjoy watching from home more than the game day atmosphere. The atmosphere has changed from the days we could pack the stadium and get turnt up!!! I mean it actually hurt to be there and all the fans around were complaining also. Can we not afford to get it tuned right.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Try this link for the survey for BC game. In the comments "complain" about the sound level and music choices if you want to do so.

https://app.ramblinwreck.com/F23-F0...9ed20b&elqaid=1542&elqat=1&elqCampaignId=1380
I have been thinking about this thread a bit lately. I was at the game and sat in the LW. Most of y'all know the demographic of that area.

So, my serious question for any of you with a real background in marketing (I am not talking about those of you who stayed in a Holiday Inn Express or played a marketing/advertising exec on TV) do you design the game experience around those who do attend or do you try to draw in potential new customers by designing the experience for them? I am sure this is Marketing 101 but I have exactly 0 experience in this field.

To those who will respond "winning fixes everything", please refrain from doing so. That thought has already been shared here on numerous occasions. Not saying it isn't valid fwiw, just that it has already been tossed out. Thx.