Gofundme to hire a new DJ

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
I have been thinking about this thread a bit lately. I was at the game and sat in the LW. Most of y'all know the demographic of that area.

So, my serious question for any of you with a real background in marketing (I am not talking about those of you who stayed in a Holiday Inn Express or played a marketing/advertising exec on TV) do you design the game experience around those who do attend or do you try to draw in potential new customers by designing the experience for them? I am sure this is Marketing 101 but I have exactly 0 experience in this field.

To those who will respond "winning fixes everything", please refrain from doing so. That thought has already been shared here on numerous occasions. Not saying it isn't valid fwiw, just that it has already been tossed out. Thx.
Not a marketer but the first thing that comes to mind is the adage of it costing 5x as much to get a new customer vs retain a current customer. So keep the ones you have happy

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I'm glad this subject has been brought up. I can't even talk to people around me and I'm near the 10 yard line on the north end. This problem has been going on for several years now and no one seems to care. I am seriously thinking about ending my season tickets and buying a large screen tv and watching the games from home. I really don't want to do that because I really love to go to the games, but I can't take the loud noise much longer. If Tech keeps screwing with us fans much longer, I'm out.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Sounds like a lot might depend on where one sits? I am in the upper north and don't remember a volume problem at all. If I remember, I will try to pay attention next game.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I too am in the upper north and complained again, has have some of my seatmates and they get the survey, that we have to yell to be heard during commercial breaks when speaking to each other. That's just downright ridiculous.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I too am in the upper north and complained again, has have some of my seatmates and they get the survey, that we have to yell to be heard during commercial breaks when speaking to each other. That's just downright ridiculous.

Upper north is a big place. I have never had a problem like that. But I don't doubt others have.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I have been thinking about this thread a bit lately. I was at the game and sat in the LW. Most of y'all know the demographic of that area.

So, my serious question for any of you with a real background in marketing (I am not talking about those of you who stayed in a Holiday Inn Express or played a marketing/advertising exec on TV) do you design the game experience around those who do attend or do you try to draw in potential new customers by designing the experience for them? I am sure this is Marketing 101 but I have exactly 0 experience in this field.

To those who will respond "winning fixes everything", please refrain from doing so. That thought has already been shared here on numerous occasions. Not saying it isn't valid fwiw, just that it has already been tossed out. Thx.
The question is appropriate and a good one.

I think some are suggesting that the issue was not so much who you are marketing for as it is execution of the plan.

For instance, loud does not have to be distorted or out of balance. Music selection can appeal to a certain demographic, as another example, without choosing bad representations of a particular genre.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

I'm not going to say, "winning fixes everything", but I have to wonder if anyone really goes to a football game for the music.
I like music, but I can't imagine going to a ball game for it, even if it's good. Maybe if somebody is going to play a live gig before the game, but canned music during the game?
I would guess no, so the idea to me is not to run people off with it. It won't bring people in, but it damn sure could drive them away.
And why would anyone favor canned music they can hear anywhere over a live band they can hear only at the game?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I'm glad this subject has been brought up. I can't even talk to people around me and I'm near the 10 yard line on the north end. This problem has been going on for several years now and no one seems to care. I am seriously thinking about ending my season tickets and buying a large screen tv and watching the games from home. I really don't want to do that because I really love to go to the games, but I can't take the loud noise much longer. If Tech keeps screwing with us fans much longer, I'm out.
What has the AA said in response to your bringing this up as a game experience negative?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I'm not going to say, "winning fixes everything", but I have to wonder if anyone really goes to a football game for the music.
I like music, but I can't imagine going to a ball game for it, even if it's good. Maybe if somebody is going to play a live gig before the game, but canned music during the game?
I would guess no, so the idea to me is not to run people off with it. It won't bring people in, but it damn sure could drive them away.
And why would anyone favor canned music they can hear anywhere over a live band they can hear only at the game?
I agree with your premise. I certainly don't want or need canned music. I find it somewhat annoying. i would rather converse and interact with those around me during down time. But, someone, somewhere, somehow must think it IS good for business. I, like most others participating in this thread, am extremely curious as to the business decisions behind the entire game day experience, including but not limited to the choice of music.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I agree with your premise. I certainly don't want or need canned music. I find it somewhat annoying. i would rather converse and interact with those around me during down time. But, someone, somewhere, somehow must think it IS good for business. I, like most others participating in this thread, am extremely curious as to the business decisions behind the entire game day experience, including but not limited to the choice of music.
I also would like to know who in the GTAA thinks this is a good idea.
Just a guess, but I imagine it's someone who's thinking about an imagined upside without giving any consideration to the downside.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I think the gameplay planning is just scattershot. I don't see any real plan, at least any that I can understand.

I always bring up the ND in game experience, but they do it extremely well. They do the same thing every opponent third down. They do the same thing every third down stop. They do the same thing on every ND first down. They do the same thing every time the opponent has a false start, offsides, etc. The PA guy knows what to do. The band leaders know what to do. The guy running the video board knows what to do. It is almost like they make a plan, then have gameplay planning/strategy sessions with all of the people involved so that they are all coordinated. Sarcasm intended. GT gameday looks haphazard.

Have the band play chords, and have the PA guy scream "it's third down", but play a history video of GT defense stopping offensive plays. When the defense is able to hold, play celebratory pumped in music with further back videos of the GT defense stopping an offensive play while fans are on their feet and screaming. Have text to thank the fans for helping the defense stop the opponent. Whatever it is, do that every single third down. Have everyone in the stadium know that is what will happen on third down. That won't make the game any more interesting to a fifty year old who has had season tickets for twenty five years, but it could help build fans it is seven year olds who are currently sleeping and paying more attention to their frozen lemonade than the game.

The video replays at ND come directly from the NBC staff. Why can't GT pay for an extra person to be with the ESPN crew to put together professional replays from the actual TV cameras? I don't know if they use students in an audio/video club, or how they get the replays currently, but the quality should be much better than what we have now.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
GT gameday looks haphazard.
This just sums up the GTAA over the last 50 years and everything they have touched. Decades of mismanagement and neglect have gotten us to where we are now. we want to scream at our coaches and players bc it's easy and simple but the problem(s) is/are above their pay grade and started way before many of them were born. Blatt, Cabrera and to a lesser extent Coach Key have so many holes in the dike it is hard to plug them all. I am certain that there isn't one of us here who could fix the on the field issues but I am willing to wager we have more than just a few contributor with the experience who could manage the game day experience and make it far better than the current situation. It just doesn't look like that tough of a nut to crack imo.

But to be fair to the guy/gal who does that job, I am on my second cocktail.My third has me thinking I could coach the team to 8 wins myself and the fourth has me thinking I could be the missing between the tackles, get you 4 yards a pop every time Larry Csonka/Jerome Bettis/John Riggins type of running back this squad desperately needs. The fifth one? yep, that's the one that gets me out on the dance floor. Or up to the karoake stand. Or both.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
When we were Visitors at ND in 15 , they had their Ambassador club ( Alums in Blazers) welcome us to our seats and show us cool monuments around the stadium. We got in stadium early and saw all thier history.

This would be cool for SIDEWALK FANS

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Without a band you'd never be able to do this:

And little things like that count!

Seriously, I complain about the canned stuff and the immensely loud announcements with every survey I get form the GTAA. If everybody did that and clapped real loud, maybe Tinkerbell would get rid of the noise. You never know.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
This just sums up the GTAA over the last 50 years and everything they have touched. Decades of mismanagement and neglect have gotten us to where we are now. we want to scream at our coaches and players bc it's easy and simple but the problem(s) is/are above their pay grade and started way before many of them were born. Blatt, Cabrera and to a lesser extent Coach Key have so many holes in the dike it is hard to plug them all. I am certain that there isn't one of us here who could fix the on the field issues but I am willing to wager we have more than just a few contributor with the experience who could manage the game day experience and make it far better than the current situation. It just doesn't look like that tough of a nut to crack imo.

But to be fair to the guy/gal who does that job, I am on my second cocktail.My third has me thinking I could coach the team to 8 wins myself and the fourth has me thinking I could be the missing between the tackles, get you 4 yards a pop every time Larry Csonka/Jerome Bettis/John Riggins type of running back this squad desperately needs. The fifth one? yep, that's the one that gets me out on the dance floor. Or up to the karoake stand. Or both.
Are you on #5 at 7:15 on a Tuesday?
Respect!