Gofundme to hire a new DJ

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
Aside from the loss, Bobby Dodd is close to losing loyal fans. My grandpa has bought our 5 season tickets for 30+ years, and we have gone to pretty much all home games in the worst of years (Collins)
My grandpa started complaining about music choice and volume in the last couple years. It was bad but part of the “culture” so we wrote it off for recruiting. But,
This past couple home games have been an absolute ear violation in every way. The attempts at compiling modern songs at max volume has left us, and the people around us, simply covering our ears and shaking our heads. After all the years, up and down, I have never heard my grandpa mention disliking the atmosphere. Today he told me “can you actually consider this music?” and that it’s so unpleasant he doesn’t think he can do it anymore. He said this while we were winning, so it wasn’t an emotional lash-out.
I feel like I can speak for the youngish fans and say I absolutely despise the music. But I have to ask, who is it for? Are we trying to appeal and to the college age kids and just doing a terrible job? It’s seriously SO bad. There is zero chance the kids like the full on treble violence that comes from the speakers that are decibels from leaving the stadium full of bleeding ears.
Batt. If you’re reading this, please at least crank it down a notch.

Last edited:

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I feel the same way about our local minor league baseball ‘game experience’ (AA Texas League, btw). The music is so damn loud you can’t have a normal conversation between innings. I wonder if there’s some oddball market research that has stadium operators cranking up the decibel level in their music tracks.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
IMO, the game atmosphere on campus slowly declined starting around 2011/12 before bottoming out after Citadel. I don't remember the PA piped in music being used much prior to 2009 when it was used for "all the way turnt up" which worked because we were winning and everyone was into it. It seems to have become more and more commonplace and rarely actually hypes up the fans and often does the opposite. Duke 5+ years ago was the only time I've seen a more disengaged and unenthusiastic fanbase than ours over the past few seasons.

The band desperately needs to be given back the keys to read, react, and influence the fans. Just a small piece of the overall experience, but we need to regain a college football atmosphere that invites can engagement.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
There was actually one point in the game, I think we had the ball in the 3rd quarter, where I was cringing at the piped in music I could hear through the TV audio. It was absurdly loud and awful sounding EDM/dubstep music. Keep in mind I am only a couple of years out of Tech and listen to EDM/house music damn near everyday, and I still was uncomfortable with whatever we were playing and I only heard it through the TV. And it went on for a while, like well beyond the time that should be allotted for piped in music between plays. I can only imagine how terrible that must’ve been for the folks, especially the older ones, at the stadium. I’m going to my first game in a couple of years next week. I’m interested to see if the in-stadium experience is as bad as the reports I see on here and what I heard on TV today

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I feel the same way about our local minor league baseball ‘game experience’ (AA Texas League, btw). The music is so damn loud you can’t have a normal conversation between innings. I wonder if there’s some oddball market research that has stadium operators cranking up the decibel level in their music tracks.
The only market research that needs to be listened to is one conducted by the GTAA. It would be interesting to understand the thought process behind the music selection (and other facets of the game day experience). Has there been any research done or is this all seat of the pants stuff? My decades long experience with the GTAA leads to me to think their decisions are NOT data or research driven. If they are, I wish it was shared with us.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
This was my first game at Bobby Dodd in a long, long time. Honestly, I didn't much notice the music in the 1st half....seemed like a lot a classic rock and roll. But the 3rd quarter was horrible....I have no idea what was the music, super high pitched notes and no perceptible rhythm. The 4th quarter had some decent music mixed with some other unintelligible stuff. Of course, the 4th quarter was a disaster all the way around. Who knew that a mixed extra point due to a poor snap would cause the wheels to fall off the bus.

Aanderson1839

Georgia Tech Fan
The volume was much lower today, and was not an issue to me at all. Still didn't sound good from an EQ standpoint, but it was not too loud.
I ended not being at the game today, so if they turned it down based on fan feedback that is good to hear! (pun intended!)

Swarm-Phinny

Georgia Tech Fan
The fan experience sucks compared to like 2010 with songs like “All The Way Turnt Up” but now we are forced to listen to Justin Bieber and a stupid DJ thanks fan experience person. (Sarcasm)

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I ended not being at the game today, so if they turned it down based on fan feedback that is good to hear! (pun intended!)
Don't know if it was because of fan feedback, but it was much lower. I could still talk to people around me while the music was playing.

I still don't understand why the stadium doesn't have an excellent sound system. The school used to have a professor who had published papers and designs for amps and speakers. There is a current professor who teaches classes about those. I'm sure there are a lot of students who understand PA and speaker design. The city is famous for producing music. Someone from one of those groups should be able to design a PA/speaker system that would work well, and/or tune the system to sound very good. (Except unfortunately Dr. Leach wouldn't be able to do that now.)

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
To correct anyone thinking we’re having a coming of age “I hate the new stuff” moment-
My grandpa actually liked the ~rap~ that used to play at bds, along with the rest of my family. It was hype.
The kind that got the players going because it was the sing-a-long type
Because it was at least mildly meaningful or at least intelligible.
What we heard today was an embarrassment and there’s no way around it.
We debated going to the UNC game on the way home today, and the stadium atmosphere was his main disheartening.
Let me say that again. The loyal fans are saying no, not because of the losses.

Last edited:

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
UNC has such a fantastic audio/visual in-game experience. I can’t imagine when a recruit goes to both. And UNC does it with two very tiny video-boards.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Aside from the loss, Bobby Dodd is close to losing loyal fans. My grandpa has bought our 5 season tickets for 30+ years, and we have gone to pretty much all home games in the worst of years (Collins)
My grandpa started complaining about music choice and volume in the last couple years. It was bad but part of the “culture” so we wrote it off for recruiting. But,
This past couple home games have been an absolute ear violation in every way. The attempts at compiling modern songs at max volume has left us, and the people around us, simply covering our ears and shaking our heads. After all the years, up and down, I have never heard my grandpa mention disliking the atmosphere. Today he told me “can you actually consider this music?” and that it’s so unpleasant he doesn’t think he can do it anymore. He said this while we were winning, so it wasn’t an emotional lash-out.
I feel like I can speak for the youngish fans and say I absolutely despise the music. But I have to ask, who is it for? Are we trying to appeal and to the college age kids and just doing a terrible job? It’s seriously SO bad. There is zero chance the kids like the full on treble violence that comes from the speakers that are decibels from leaving the stadium full of bleeding ears.
Batt. If you’re reading this, please at least crank it down a notch.
If you or your grandpa get the after game survey, make a comment about an improvement to turn down the volume by 10 decibels and quit overriding the band.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
The volume was much lower today, and was not an issue to me at all. Still didn't sound good from an EQ standpoint, but it was not too loud.
100% agree not as loud, but still too loud.
Folks next to me and my son both agreed that it was not as loud. Although we still had to yell to be heard over the music being piped in.